Autocross event for CR

blue98ls1

Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?

• Yes, if it was in May.
    • Yes, if it was in June.
    • Yes, doesn't matter when it is.
    • Maybe.
    • No, but I know someone that might be interested.
    • No.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So there are a couple of ways that you can go about this. I will echo the sentiments of some others, and offer some guidance.

I am co-chairing the region for OVR Solo this year. We have done private club events in the past. In fact, we did a private event for the Viper Club this past season. We brought all of our equipment, enough workers to run the event, cones, timing equipment, etc. and all they had to do was show up and run.....obviously, there is a fee involved with that.

You are more than welcome(and encouraged) to come to an OVR event, and as Craig stated, you would have a PAX class ranking that would help with any inner forum rivalries :D You would just pay the event fee, run your vehicle, and that would be it. This would be good for anyone who has never done an autocross before, as there are local, regional, and national competitors that run at OVR (which some may offer help with ride alongs, or just watching other people's 'racing lines' always helps, not to mention that anyone would offer helpful advice)

PCA is another option as well. I have never run with them, so I could not comment on their events.

I am unaware of any place that will 'rent' their equipment, as it is rather expensive to have 'everything' you need to run an event. We would not rent ours.

We are in the process of finalizing our schedule, and I will report back to this thread once it's finished.

Any questions, post here, shoot me a PM, or you can email me at ovrsolo@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Kale

the forum out in Idaho, were im currently stationed, is very dedicated to autocrossing. They actually have a class called IMS (idahomotorsports) for people who just wanna race and have a variety of modifications that would otherwise put them in one of the too many classes they might not be competitive in. While I am a huge opponent of the make new classes so everyone can win and have rainbows and sunshine, it is just easier.

Interested and would attend. (More interested in a road course though like Nelson)

Only request is that the setup not be SUPER tight like some I have been to in the past.

Road courses are much more expensive and harder to do, autocross is meant to be somewhat of a tight course. The slower speeds keep insurance costs down, and make it more technical. Now there are tighter courses then others but its pretty hard to not have them.

I'm in.

I'm going to have to second the suggestion to not run during a normal OVR event. With 100+ cars we wouldn't get many runs. That's fine for those being competitive, but for a meet like this it wouldn't feel like it was worth the fees. Porsche club or Miata club event would be best. Or getting OVR to run the event for us.

Tech goes something like this:

• Car must be free of ALL loose items. Stuff in latched storage is fine, but the trunk must be empty.
  • Driver's floor mat must be out.
  • Nothing dangling from the mirror.
  • Seat belts must be secure. Aftermarket harnesses are fine, but must be attached to points specifically for the task (harness loops on a cage, weld-in tabs, or original belt mounting points.)
  • Helmet must be Snell/ANSI certified (Must have a SA2000 or M2000 rating). Cheap "DOT" helmets don't qualify unless they have the aforementioned rating.
  • The car must not be falling apart or have any loose bodywork/trim.
  • Wheel bearings must not have any play.
  • Tires must not be showing belts/cracks.
  • Battery must be securely mounted.
  • All engine caps must be present and secure.
  • Brake fluid must be at the proper level.

It sounds like a lot, but if your car is in good condition and you have a good helmet (or borrow one) you're in. Just nothing unsafe.

Anyone who isn't sure, please feel free to PM myself or any of the other AutoXers here with your questions/concerns. We will be more than happy to help you out. :)

[*]Driver's floor mat must be out.

seriously?

I know my car has a large rectangle of plastic padding on the carpet to prevent wear, which is very slick, and makes driving stick very difficult without a floor mat.

Any way around this? I know a lot of cars have that.

seriously?

I know my car has a large rectangle of plastic padding on the carpet to prevent wear, which is very slick, and makes driving stick very difficult without a floor mat.

Any way around this? I know a lot of cars have that.

They don't want it to ride up under the brake pedal.

Essentially, if the tech can reach in and pull out the mat, it has to go. If you can secure it in place so it isn't free to move, then it can stay. Besides, you'll have your heels off the floor for most of the run anyways.

They don't want it to ride up under the brake pedal.

Essentially, if the tech can reach in and pull out the mat, it has to go. If you can secure it in place so it isn't free to move, then it can stay. Besides, you'll have your heels off the floor for most of the run anyways.

VW mats are snapped into place, so thats good news. Thanks.

I'm in.

I'm going to have to second the suggestion to not run during a normal OVR event. With 100+ cars we wouldn't get many runs.

Agreed- which is why I have only been twice and I don't plan to go anymore- with my two small kids it isn't worth it to commit a whole day for such a small amount of run time. If I had nothing better to do during the day sure but I am booked to the hilt.

Sean was kind enough to point me in the direction of the pca events but last year was so hectic with some work we were doing to our house and a new baby I didn't make it out once to even see if it was better.

so yes if small enough group I would be interested-

Sounds like fun. I've watched autocross a couple times, but other than that my experience is about nill.

It is worth doing at least once. 45mph will never feel as fast. You're guaranteed to have fun. Even working a corner is fun as you get to stand on the course itself and watch the other cars dodging cones.

Hell, this forum has the resources. CR could do a Pro-Solo format with a christmas tree and mirrored courses for that instant-gratification you get from drag racing.

I'll participate unless it's a PCA event. There are other autox-hosting clubs in Columbus. UFO is one and BMWCCA Buckeye Chapter actually owns autox equipment but nobody to run it. BMC is always a darling; my wife and I love them ! Another great club is Corvette Troy but they run at Kilkare.

I say let's join forces with another club for now (i.e. 2012 season). If CR should decide to have one their own, it could be decided for next season.

I guess there are two different groups here.

First group is the newbies

This group will benefit from an introduction event commonly called "drivers ed". I'm sure there are several seasoned autoxers on board who can provide a brief "classroom session", then ride with a student to give out pointers. The goal is to familiarize the student with procedures (work-run), safety items (red-green flags, situation awareness), and driving tips (when/where to accel/decel, how to take an apex, how to approach a series of corners). The first event of the season can be dedicated to this.

If there are more newbies joining mid season, another impromptu class can be formed. I have been an instructor before but nowadays all I can teach is what not to do.

The second group is those who seek to form some kind of sanctioning/hosting body

An autox event is a complex organization. From what I have seen, in order to run one seamlessly, sense of duty is of the utmost importance. There are so many aspects requiring a bare minimum of 20-person crew. Some people can do double duties but the duties will have to be separated timewise.

If I can give a rough idea how a typical local autox season is run in the following. The details in each aspect can get overwhelming for one person to handle.

Several months to one year ahead before a season starts

- Secure location

- Secure insurance

- Secure personnel (who is the big chief, who takes care of timing/scoring, tech inspection, registration, and a slew of other tasks); these chiefs need to come up with procedures

- Secure equipment (cones, timers, recording equipment, truckload of miscellaneous)

The week before an event

- Come up with a course design

- If registration done online, task assignment can be readily dolled out; otherwise it will be a very busy morning

- Decide whether course should be done the night before (security, weather, personnel availability are some of the deciding factors); at some events, tech inspection can even be done the night before

The big day

- Course designers and equipment must arrive very early in the morning to do set up; some I have seen were on-site since 5 in the morning.

- Registration personnel are next; they also carry a task of keeping track of the fees, recording driver-car information, and make sure waivers are signed. Task assignment can be implemented here too with a task keeper standing by.

- Timing and scoring personnel set up timers and check their operation. Stationary supply can be distributed at this point.

- Tech inspectors are next. As drivers start to arrive, these need to be ready.

After a driver meeting and workers are in place, first run can commence. There will be little fires here and there needing attention and the pace will be determined as the day progresses.

At the end of the day, the biggest thing is clean up. Timing and Scoring personnel will determine the winners and probably announce things for the next event.

For those who still want to run one, I'd suggest joining a hosting club and get a feel for it for a season. Autox management is a thankless, payless job and you will have to deal with difficult people from time to time.

All those said, how many would step up to the plate ? Let's see a show of hands :)