Autocross event for CR

blue98ls1

Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?

• Yes, if it was in May.
    • Yes, if it was in June.
    • Yes, doesn't matter when it is.
    • Maybe.
    • No, but I know someone that might be interested.
    • No.

This is something that has been discussed MANY times over the years without it actually getting put into action for a variety of reasons. We are starting early this year on preparing for track days and other events. What we need to know from YOU is if we would spend the time and effort into setting up an Autocross event, how many of you are serious about coming? Based on our current schedule of events for this year, we could probably make this happen in May or June. As of right now we are looking at all possibilities of doing this event, which include: with another group/club, just gathering some people to attend a public event, or if there are enough people serious to commiting to this - trying a private event.

Lets hear from you - thoughts, opinions, etc.

Also - please state if you have ever been to an Auto-X event, so that we have an idea how many people would be trying this for the first time.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are lots of things to consider if you're interested in doing an autocross. Those of you who have never participated in an autocross need to be aware that these events require much more paticipation then just driving and socializing. You will have to work corners and pick up cones while others are making runs. These things are a big group effort, not that its hard to do I just want people to have some idea of what this would be. Keep in mind I really want to make something happen with this, so please show you're interest and experience with autocross. Obviously you don't need to have done this before, so don't let anything intimidate you this is pretty easy, and the more experienced people will just make it easier for the beginners.

There are lots of things to consider if you're interested in doing an autocross. Those of you who have never participated in an autocross need to be aware that these events require much more paticipation then just driving and socializing. You will have to work corners and pick up cones while others are making runs. These things are a big group effort, not that its hard to do I just want people to have some idea of what this would be. Keep in mind I really want to make something happen with this, so please show you're interest and experience with autocross. Obviously you don't need to have done this before, so don't let anything intimidate you this is pretty easy, and the more experienced people will just make it easier for the beginners.

Yeah Ive never been. Nor do I know the rules and regulations. But want to experience it.

Yeah Ive never been. Nor do I know the rules and regulations. But want to experience it.

Not a big deal, and very easy to get started.

This is a great condensed version of what goes on at most autocross events, just ignore the Miata specific stuff.

http://www.buckeyemiataclub.com/autoX/Buckeye_Miata_Club_Autocross_Info.pdf

what kind of safety equipment is required? I'd try it but can it be as cheap and easy as showing up to a test & tune with $15 a helmet, and gtg?

Pretty much just a helmet, a seat belt, and car that isn't falling apart. The tech inspection is a little more involved then at Trails because techs will be checking not only battery hold downs, but will be shaking on your wheels looking for anythign loose, good tires, and making sure the springs on your throttle body will spring it closed. Nothing major, just general saftey stuff. Keep in mind that a tight autocross course will not allow much speed so specific saftey stuff isn't as much of an issue.

As mentioned to Scott, it may be worth working collaboratively with another club for an event. The only other club besides SCCA and Buckeye Miata that has their own equipment is PCA. PCA generally has a low turnout and WANTS more people. Most of the people that run PCA have a ton of experience in autox and even track days. They are more than willing to take on a group of new people, they are more relaxed than SCCA, but are strict if you aren't taking safety seriously.

I will run this by some of the guys this week and get back with who I need to get back with.

Pretty much just a helmet, a seat belt, and car that isn't falling apart. The tech inspection is a little more involved then at Trails because techs will be checking not only battery hold downs, but will be shaking on your wheels looking for anythign loose, good tires, and making sure the springs on your throttle body will spring it closed. Nothing major, just general saftey stuff. Keep in mind that a tight autocross course will not allow much speed so specific saftey stuff isn't as much of an issue.

Helmet needs to be Snell/DOT aprroved. The Porsche Club events I believe require that the helmet be Snell 2005 or newer. So, no a $15 helmet won't cut it. They generally have some loaner helmets that you can borrow if you cannot provide your own.

Helmet needs to be Snell/DOT aprroved. The Porsche Club events I believe require that the helmet be Snell 2005 or newer. So, no a $15 helmet won't cut it. They generally have some loaner helmets that you can borrow if you cannot provide your own.

You're correct, I automatically think of a racing helmet. So basically if it's legal at Trails it will be legal here. Just make sure it hasn't expired.

I would be in if it did not conflict w/OVR or a nearby tour event. I would agree with Sean in that we would be better off to "piggyback" w/Porsche Club (or another club - Porsche CLub typically has a lower turn out-hence more runs). We could run our own "event within and event". CR folks would turn in theri time slips and we could do our own PAX index times. We could also have our own "designated instructors" to work with oue drivers.