Autocross event for CR

blue98ls1

Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Would you attend a CR Auto-X event?

• Yes, if it was in May.
    • Yes, if it was in June.
    • Yes, doesn't matter when it is.
    • Maybe.
    • No, but I know someone that might be interested.
    • No.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's not what I was saying.

Autox is more than just a run-work sequence. When I said "manage one", it means that you will have to take a position as a chief and make sure your department runs smoothly all season long; regardless whether you run that day or not.

I think the original goal was a single event for fun. No real classes, just a bunch of cones and some timing equipment. I think, due to the nature of this forum, that would be the best format for the first event.

Then, if things go well, we can look into more complex arrangements like a training day and even CR classes. But for now, let's keep things simple.

Find a sanctioning body to supply the insurance and equipment.

Split the antendees in half with experiences AutoXers in both halves.

Have a morning heat.

One group works while the other runs.

Switch.

Take a break to shoot the shit and have lunch

Then an afternoon heat with both groups.

Finally pack up, go over results, and go to a restaurant for late lunch/early dinner and a beer.

And then afterwards we go home, post results on CR, and commence smack-talk and call-outs for the next event. ;)

The key here is Low Pressure.

With the current situation on lot availability in Columbus, we are not likely to get our own CR event this year.

I don't think anyone wants to pony up the cost for timing equipment, cones, insurance and lot fees for a possibly "one time" event (if anyone really wants to know I can give you an idea on costs).

If we want to get together for an informal event, best to piggyback with a local club (UFO, PCA, Miata, etc). Despite running w/SCCA myself, I left them off the list as I think a smaller club would better fir our needs for a first event - more flexibilty and more runs.

Probably not a bad idea to contact them in advance if we are likely to have 20-50 additional people show up (more than they typically have).

We can designate some "mentors" - experienced autocross folks to help the newbies as far as tech, course walking, and depending on the particular club's rules, possibly ride along instruction.

We can gather times from our members and post up whatever "results" we want on the site and the smack talk can begin.

After we get one event done and have an idea of "actual" participation numbers, we can discuss a plan for more events - a mini CR series or whatever.

In obviously. Piggybacking is the way to go, how many here know how to run the timing and scoring equipment right?? We can work with OVR or whomever as that will be the best way to do it. You would have to move fast to get with the SCCA as their schedule is probably almost finalised by now.

A great way for newbs is to co-drive. If you dont have a car to run this throw a few bucks at someone who does have a car for it and work together. Riding with an experienced driver is an eye opener!!

When I was at the awards ceremony last weekend there was a concern with OVR not having sites for this next year. Has this problem been resolved?

I haven't heard anything about this. I'm sure they'll have the NTR lot at least. I hope they don't lose the Ackerman lot. I prefer that one.

I haven't heard anything about this. I'm sure they'll have the NTR lot at least. I hope they don't lose the Ackerman lot. I prefer that one.

From what I hear the lot is going to be privately owned and Simi and the team are in dire need for help finding a new lot.

So maybe we need to make a poll or suggestion place on CR to find a new lot for autox?

OSU was in the process of considering selling that parking lot to a private owner, when this has happened at other places in the past is hasn't gone well for the SCCA. We will likely get Cooper stadium back once it's done but that another year or 2 away.

Theres been talk of a joint event with Cincy SCCA at the old DHL airport in Wilmington, don't know if anything has come of that as there would be more space than ever needed, we would just have to drive a bit to get down there.

OSU was in the process of considering selling that parking lot to a private owner, when this has happened at other places in the past is hasn't gone well for the SCCA. We will likely get Cooper stadium back once it's done but that another year or 2 away.

Theres been talk of a joint event with Cincy SCCA at the old DHL airport in Wilmington, don't know if anything has come of that as there would be more space than ever needed, we would just have to drive a bit to get down there.

I was able to run at the DHL airport as a "trial" run to see if the community can accept SCCA being there. Business boomed, and the mayor who attended said they would try as much as possible to allow us access to the airport. We did the runs in the employee parking lot, which was plenty big....but airport is bigger.

is auto cross pavement or can it be in a field? my dad has about ~8-10 acres of open kinda hilly field.. i learnt how to drive a s10 in it.

That is more along the lines of some rallycross, autocross is held in paved areas with cones.

As it looks we are waiting for some schedules to finalize for the local clubs, so it'll take a little while to see if this is going to happen but we are working on it.