Residential Garage Lift ???

Jackson1647545504

Do you want to know what happens when those anchors fail? Permanent mount might be okay but those anchors are not designed for constantly having bolts being screwed in and out. Keep in mind your garage floor is somewhere between 3-4 " thick, having set thousands of those anchors in the past I can tell you its a crap shoot how long they will hold. Thats if you dont blow the bottom of the concrete out when setting them. I would never truct them unless I doubled the anchor size and thickened my concrete slab.

I love my challenger lift, I bought it used and having a lift is the way to go. I agree with the gang on here, I wouldnt trust the anchors after mutliple uses. Edited by RS69

I love my challenger lift, I bought it used and having a lift is the way to go. I agree the gang on here, I wouldnt trust the anchors after mutliple uses.

I bet you could permanently bolt down an steel anchor plate with tapped holes. that way you could still make the lift removable but have a solid foundation to mount it on.

If you really wanted to get at it you could tear up your floor, mount said anchor plate down and then recover it with new concrete.

personally i dont imagine you would disassemble the lift down that often; maybe once or twice a year.

If you really wanted to get at it you could tear up your floor, mount said anchor plate down and then recover it with new concrete.

For my size/space other than buying a new house this is one of my better options. Should have gotten a place with bigger garage but oh well...

Like this guy did I'll probably get the garage floor cut and a proper pad laid down (note the area at the base of the lift)

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/plrx/Max%20Jax/MaxJax43.jpg

For my size/space other than buying a new house this is one of my better options. Should have gotten a place with bigger garage but oh well...

Yup, buying a place this year, probably in the city which probably won't have a big garage and not a ton of land and possible restrictions on how big of a garage I could put in. I've thought about this type of system before. :fa:

I will probably just use a jack and jack-stands at the house and buy a real lift to put at my parents when they finally build their pole barn. Do little jobs at the house and big jobs at my parents.

just saw the video---no thanks. not sure i'd like to bolt in my lift every time i want to do any work

here's a couple shots of my 4 post bendpak. i just have to get the rolling jacks and i'll be set. its a storage lift with 9000lbs capacity. i'd be worried about a lift with 6k lbs capacity, not to mention the integrity of the anchors, when repeatedly re-torqued. my lift sits on carpet, and is not bolted in to the floor.

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/2622/dsc01288u.jpg

http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4963/dsc01297.jpg

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/3084/dsc01296sr.jpg

Kirk aren't you concerned not having it anchored?

I would be a little concerned that weight distribution/something offset just a little might start to stress something on one of the legs overtime causing something to fail. I assume its strength comes from remaining perpendicular to the ground.

Kirk aren't you concerned not having it anchored?

i considered anchoring it, and very well might do that, because i haven't moved it once. i asked the guys who installed it about that---they apparently install these all over wisconsin--at homes, and businesses all over. they apparently never anchor them in residential applications, and don't think there would be a problem. still, i will probably anchor it sometime this summer

My 4-post is also free-standing; so far never anchored. It does move a little when I got a bit rough with throttle application (read: spinning a tire when it's wet). Mine has a brand of "Direct Lift" and it's quite a bit cheaper than a Bendpak. I bought it two years ago and so far there is not a problem. I'm about to add another since my stable is slowly growing.

The MaxJack does not interest me since my problem is storage; a 2-post is better suited for working on a vehicle. Regardless, I like the idea of its portability; I'm sure there is a way to alleviate the problem of anchor failure due to cyclic loading.

Yeah the only problem with the fourpost style is working on your car....I mean what do you guys do with those? I need something where I can pull wheels, pull motors and Transmissions and Such, which doesnt look like it lends itself to as a fourpost. I dont this a professionally installed two post would be a bad idea if you have the space to mount it.

Yeah the only problem with the fourpost style is working on your car....I mean what do you guys do with those? I need something where I can pull wheels, pull motors and Transmissions and Such, which doesnt look like it lends itself to as a fourpost. I dont this a professionally installed two post would be a bad idea if you have the space to mount it.

i don't have the rolling scissor jacks yet, but you do have the option for scissor jacks that roll between the ramps to lift the car off to do wheel changes, etc.