Flash photography tips and information?

Berto

Just picked up an SB-700 used for only a month for $250 :D

I am a big fan of the built in bounce card but legitimately have no idea how to use this dang thing, not only specifically the SB-700 but also flash photography in general.

Any tips or links?

Happy to help where I can, but flash photography is a deep subject. I'm not at my PC where I can get into depth on the basics but there are some significant differences between using Nikon and Canon gear. Trish will likely be able to chime in as well.

Here's a good read to begin. It will help as you get insight from others that may not be aware of the differences.

http://www.timothyarmes.com/blog/2011/01/canon-vs-nikon-flash-systems-revisited/

I'm glad you finally landed a flash. It's key and one of the tools you won't want to leave home without.

Despite being written about the Canon system all of the rules still apply. This read changed by life....in a flash:fuckyeah:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/index.html

Thanks the link I was going to post when I got back to my PC. Thanks. However, do keep in mind I believe Nikon handles fill flash and high speed sync a bit differently. It's been 10+ years since my Nikon days but I know there are some aspects that differ. See my previous post.

Ugh, I thought the expensive part was over.

The body and one lens is just the money down and your first of many payments. Your wide angle was your second payment. The flash can be considered your third. Only 57 more to go.

Flash is easy once you get the hang of it. Mess around with the flash and body in manual modes and see how changes effect things.

I also recommend getting the flash off of the camera. Thats where interesting light is made.