Best ORY pipe for LS1 daily driver?

BrendanB

Messed up title, meant best full catback LOL. Anyway, my current exhaust is starting to crack towards the muffler (also has a massive hole in it, which has been patched but seems to be spreading), and looks like it might snap sometime relatively soon. Anyone have any recommendations on what the best ORY pipe system would be for daily use? (Don't mind loud noise at all if that helps). Just figured I might as well go full exhaust since it's going to need new piping anyway, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Custom ORY, Use a flowmaster merge. E-Cutout then stock catback.

Pacesetter/Edelbrock/similar longtubes and ORY with a 3" electric cutout. It's cheap, you can choose to have it quiet or loud, and it will make more power than any catback

I have hooker lontubes to hooker y pipe, e cutout then stock catback. ^^ Basically what he was saying.

Depends on what you want to accomplish, cost and sound. SLP makes nice systems, Magnaflow also, I've had both, Borla is a nice set-up as well. Magnaflow and Borla have a similar sound level, but the Borla is adjustable, SLP is loud, even the quieter ones are similar or slightly louder then a Magnaflow. As for ORY, Pacesetter makes a nice one for their headers that tukes up nice, Stainless Works makes a more universal one that is designed for maximum flow but I've never seen one personally. The redesigned Texas Speed ORY fits much better then the ones from 4-5 years ago.

So basically decide how much you want to spend and how loud you want it.

Basically looking to spend 5-600 hopefully (if it's only a catback), with install. Does it make sense to buy headers at the same time as the catback to save money?

Well that cuts down your options quite a bit. You'll be hard pressed to buy most of whats mentioned here for $500. For $600 you'll likely only afford to get the catback replaced. It wouldn't save you much to do headers. If you do the work yourself you'll have around $1000 in a basic set of headers, ory, and catback. So...

Ive had 3 different system on my Transam. I had Texas Speed's version of the SLP LM1 the first time. With longtubes and ORY it was very loud and just too much for me. Second one was a Magnaflow. This was great cause it was nice and quiet just driving till you jumped on it. Third is a Corsa. This exhaust is loud when your in it but as far as driving/highway driving its perfect as there is no drone inside the car what so ever. But for your budget on catback I would suggest Magnaflow.

FWIW, I am running Hooker LT coated, Hooker ORY and a hooker 3" in and single 3" out muffler. I did it that way because I previously had a Flowmaster 3 in/dual 3 out. When my flowmaster rotted out again (i had 3 of them on the car) I wanted a different sound and something that flowed better. The hooker aero chamber has a melow tone at idle and a good bark when you get on it, especially if you have a good cam/head setup. The headers I bought used for a steal. I had pacsetter on before. The rotted out so bad the O2's fell into the colector. I would NOT recomend pacesetter. IMO. They are inexpensive and you get what you pay for. My advice, and only as advice, save up for a great exhaust system. Put it on once and leave it be till you want something different. Again, this is all IMO and only for friendly advice.

I just remembered something. PM GTPLS1, he has a 98 T/A that has coated pacesetter headers w/ ORY and a LM1 he wants to trade for stock stuff. He's out of town right now but I may be able to get it all off for you. Plus i do have a set of coated yet rusty Pacesetter LT with the ORY (sold it to GTPLS1) that I would be happy to sell to you.

Well that cuts down your options quite a bit. You'll be hard pressed to buy most of whats mentioned here for $500. For $600 you'll likely only afford to get the catback replaced. It wouldn't save you much to do headers. If you do the work yourself you'll have around $1000 in a basic set of headers, ory, and catback. So...

What's a good budget for the Magnaflow pipes? Seems those are all around good. I can spend any amount of money, just requires a little more saving, basically I want to get the best value I can, since I'm pretty much in need of a new catback at the moment.

I just remembered something. PM GTPLS1, he has a 98 T/A that has coated pacesetter headers w/ ORY and a LM1 he wants to trade for stock stuff. He's out of town right now but I may be able to get it all off for you. Plus i do have a set of coated yet rusty Pacesetter LT with the ORY (sold it to GTPLS1) that I would be happy to sell to you.

Going to PM him now, thanks!

What's a good budget for the Magnaflow pipes? Seems those are all around good. I can spend any amount of money, just requires a little more saving, basically I want to get the best value I can, since I'm pretty much in need of a new catback at the moment.

Summit has the kits for $445 with free shipping. It really should not be bad to install yourself, but I would assume you could find someone who would do it for you for a couple hundred at most.

Just saw on LS1tech one of the sponsors is selling the kit for $399 shipped.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/1504220-magnaflow-catback-399-00-shipped.html

Edited by Richard Cranium
added LS1tech link

Pacesetter/Edelbrock/similar longtubes and ORY with a 3" electric cutout. It's cheap, you can choose to have it quiet or loud, and it will make more power than any catback

Truly a Steve approved exhaust setup. Can be raspy on deceleration though, nothing like making peoples ears bleed.

hooker aerochamber

To be honest I went and listened to a few clips on youtube and for $450 plus shipping I shall have it. Fucking sounds great.

Truly a Steve approved exhaust setup. Can be raspy on deceleration though, nothing like making peoples ears bleed.

To be honest I went and listened to a few clips on youtube and for $450 plus shipping I shall have it. Fucking sounds great.

The black wheels look great on your car Steve :cool:

As far as the AeroChamber is concerned, I think it's one of the most underrated mufflers out there. You never really hear about them, but they sound like sex on anything.

I still recommend a cutout over any catback. If you have the money for both by all means go for it, but a cutout is a fraction of the price and there's a reason why the fastest bolt-on LS1 cars are all running cutouts. Numbers don't lie

As far as the AeroChamber is concerned, I think it's one of the most underrated mufflers out there. You never really hear about them, but they sound like sex on anything.

I still recommend a cutout over any catback. If you have the money for both by all means go for it, but a cutout is a fraction of the price and there's a reason why the fastest bolt-on LS1 cars are all running cutouts. Numbers don't lie

I just got the AeroChamber 1 in 2 out muffler for mine, and had a buddy weld it in to my "stock" catback to replace the factory muffler. Looks like stock, sounds like supermodel sex IMHO.

I agree, they don't advertize it a lot but it's one of the best sounding ones out there and flows damn good too.

EDIT: As far as the cutout goes, I have one on mine and on the dyno we couldn't really tell a difference capped vs. uncapped on the AeroChamber. I mean, all the runs were within a few HP anyway so capping it really didn't hurt performance as much as I expected.

Thanks man, 3rd set this month... this car is a wheel whore.

I just got the AeroChamber 1 in 2 out muffler for mine, and had a buddy weld it in to my "stock" catback to replace the factory muffler. Looks like stock, sounds like supermodel sex IMHO.

I agree, they don't advertize it a lot but it's one of the best sounding ones out there and flows damn good too.

Thanks, I have been looking at billy boat/B&B and corsa, but none of the videos I see on youtube sound like what I want. This does and for the price its not a hard decision.

I imagine I will keep my stock catback because it is real nice to hit a switch and wonder if its running... such an unbelievable difference.:fuckyeah:

I'd say go with a Borla with the "open" side capped or a Magnaflow would probably be best.

My "open" side is completely open.. I'd love to cap it to see what it sounds like but I got the car with the exhaust already on it and they didn't have the other gaskets. I guess Borla wants faggot amounts of money for them so I'll probably just bolt in a metal plate or something.