2012 Road Cycling thread

evan9381

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GMoney
Alright biker boyz, I've been wanting to pick up a bike for a couple years now...I just always find an excuse not to. I haven't had a bicycle since before I got my drivers license, but I live within 2 miles of where I work. It's getting really hard for met to justify not getting some exercise in, and wasting gas letting my car warm up for the vast 2 mile trek every morning. I'm weary of buying a purpose "road" bike, because I'd like the option of going through shit if need be. Like I said, I haven't had a bike since before I was 16, so I know NOTHING. What would you guys recommend? Also, I'd rather not break the bank on this...if possible.

Since your only going two miles to work i recommend a mountain bike, get a bike that fits you is number one importance. I only roadbike to train for mountain bike, so unless your wanting to do the 20-30 mile rides then a mountain bike will be fine. My mountain bike was $2000 it is a hardtail and even at that price point I would still not recommend a full suspension. If your only gonna spend a few hundred i would see if you can get a bike without a front shock, you can always add a good one at a later time. At that price point they just add weight, but will be hard to find. There are some very quality "off brand" bikes out there for very few dollars. By off brand i mean not the big names like giant or specialized.

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductdetail?gfid=12439

http://www.bicycling.com/gearfinderproductlist?gfpagetype=subcategory&gfid=885&filterbkreviews=&filterrdrreviews=&maxpp=12&startrow=0

jesus man, you have some terrible luck. didnt you break your arm last year too?

forget riding with you ever...I'm not getting caught up in your circle of near death!

ps, glad to hear youre ok.

yeah, no shit, right. lol. and yeah, it was my wrist...i guess this'll max out my out of pocket i'm gonna have to cover, so anything else that happens this year will be covered 100%. :lolguy: . really though, had she signaled, it all could have been avoided. im pretty pissed they cited me and not her for failure to signal.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/417324_10150722817589919_606724918_11212286_1481966216_n.jpg

yeah, no shit, right. lol. and yeah, it was my wrist...i guess this'll max out my out of pocket i'm gonna have to cover, so anything else that happens this year will be covered 100%. :lolguy: . really though, had she signaled, it all could have been avoided. im pretty pissed they cited me and not her for failure to signal.

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/417324_10150722817589919_606724918_11212286_1481966216_n.jpg

thats not bad salvage the hub, cassette, skewer, rubber and inner tube.

I think they site only to establish fault. I hit a kid on campus with my car who was doing the Saturday night drunk freshman walk across lane(east of high) after OSU won against Mich. Anyways he got sited for not crossing in a crosswalk.

the bike looks to still be straight. it did bend the rear deraileur hanger (found out tonight when i slapped my rear wheel from my old bike on). new hanger is $22, gonna see if the LBS has one in stock, if not, i'll order online. otherwise, a small scratch on top tube, and a couple on the shifter was it.

But yeah, im gonna salvage the tire/tube/cassette/skewer

What do you guys think of Mavic Open Pro's as a budget friendly replacement wheelset? Im gonna replace both as i know my OCD will kick in if i have 2 different wheels, not to mention, the Open Pros have an ultegra hub. i need to get something though and get it back together.

so, some good news came today. after looking online, i read a bunch about contacting my auto insurance company about any coverage i may have. to my amazement, they actually cover my medical up to like $5k and if there's any damage to her car, that as well...bit of relief for sure.

also, i went to bicycle one today to see about ordering a replacement derailleur hanger, and a wheelset. turned out that a guy from the B1 in pickerington had ordered a set of Mavic Open Pros with 105 hubs, but decided to go a different route, and had a set at the shop ready to go. I ended up getting the set for $250+ tax, and they swapped over the rear cassette. fair enough, i feel.

Got the tires on the wheels and onto the bike. after searching all around town with no luck on a new rear hanger, i got it up to bike source before they closed and they bent it back into place, but i'll be ordering a new one soon to be safe.

gonna try to get out and ride tomorrow. hopefully the weather holds out.

yeah, but hopefully keeping active like this will prevent me from making statements like yours when i get to be your age. lol

That's funny.

Doing a 50 next weekend, century by end of April if I can help it.

today started me riding to work as long as the weather cooperates. only 5.6 miles each way, but $3.99 can eat a dick. the ride is only 10 minutes longer than the drive, and it gives me a chance to log some more miles.

sitting at 274.45 miles for the year...1725.55 to go.

and finally got word from work the sign up info for Pelotonia, so I can get signed up and start my fundraising, even though work will cover whatever I don't raise.

Looking to pick up a nicely equipped *used* bike in the next week or so. Anyone know of much. I'm looking for a 56 frame, carbon fork, pedals, and a decent shifter/crank setup. I would prefer to buy a used bike that someone has already put some money into. Budget would be around the $700-900 range if anyone knows of anything.

You could probably pick up a sufficient new bike for not much more...i paid $890 + tax for my 2011 cannondale caad8 w/ tiagra components last month. Lifetime warranty on frame, 3 years free service (gear/brake adjustments, wheel truing). Talk to scott at bicycle one in gahanna. ive gotta run over there today, ill see if the 2011 that was on sale last week is still there and what size it is.

You could probably pick up a sufficient new bike for not much more...i paid $890 + tax for my 2011 cannondale caad8 w/ tiagra components last month. Lifetime warranty on frame, 3 years free service (gear/brake adjustments, wheel truing). Talk to scott at bicycle one in gahanna. ive gotta run over there today, ill see if the 2011 that was on sale last week is still there and what size it is.

Sounds good man.

I was kind of hoping to find something with some nice upgrades like wheels and some carbon.