help needed 99saab

wnaplay1647545503

What is the process for looking for leaks with brake cleaner? I know there are I believe 4 small vacuum lines that are pretty much shot that come off I believe the throttle body. I dont know with these being bad if that could warrant such a shitty running issue. Its not kinda running bad, its running like hell.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow Jason, it's really starting to sound like you just need to cut your losses and move on.

Brake clean (make sure its flammable) is sprayed in places where a vacuum leak is suspected while the engine is running and a change in engine RPM will be noted, if it is running really bad now the engine will just die most likely.

The car is running and shy of the starter issues that may have been bad parts, this could be just as simple as diagnosing the true issue which I guess could be a simple vacuum leak. I dont think this is anything super major and feel my lack of diagnosing skills is what's hindering me at this point.

The car is running and shy of the starter issues that may have been bad parts, this could be just as simple as diagnosing the true issue which I guess could be a simple vacuum leak. I dont think this is anything super major and feel my lack of diagnosing skills is what's hindering me at this point.

Okay, well vacuum typically doesn't make a rough idle, vacuum will cause a lean condition or an abnormal idle, but typically not rough unless it's feeding something like the MAP sensor.

Wish I had some time to swing by, all this typing is making me curious about it.

Okay, well vacuum typically doesn't make a rough idle, vacuum will cause a lean condition or an abnormal idle, but typically not rough unless it's feeding something like the MAP sensor.

Wish I had some time to swing by, all this typing is making me curious about it.

X2... I hate saabs but has me wanting to swing by and lend a hand..

With the p0300 code I would say the coil over plug assembly needs replaced.. But I dont want you to throw parts at it..

I believe I have tested the coil cassette and believe it to be broken. I had spark on all but one of the plugs and it happens to be the one that looks the worse and does appear to have some oil in the sleeve or hole the plug slides into. Not alot of oil just some that doesnt necessarily appear to be new. So do we think the cassette or coil is now at fault or could something else be causing this one plug to not get spark, connection? I did swap plugs around to see if it followed but it stayed at that one location.

Called a few junkyards but they ask me if this is motronic or vigeon(I dont know the spelling). Not sure what the difference is and nobody seems to know.

Sounds like the coil assembly is broken, I don't know that one specifically, but typically none would fire if it wasn't getting a signal, so that should indicate that the coil assembly is at fault. Obviously since I'm not positive of everything you've done, I can't can't say positively that is the issue, but it sure sounds like a very high possiblity.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to over complicate it, but I don't like diagnosing stuff over the internet and don't want you to bank on something I said on here as being a sure thing.

I am confused by your reply. If just one plug isnt getting spark were thinking that since its all one piece pretty much, that the whole thing needs replaced? Yes, most likely Or is there something else that would prevent just the one from getting spark? I'm not positive because I'm not experienced on how those function, but typically not

Like I said, sorry for over thinking it, but since I'm not positive on how it works on a Saab, even though its prabably just the same as most stuff, I didn't want to give you the impression that the coil assembly was deffenitly the issue.

Call autozone or advanced and see if they have one.. Other wise pull it off and take it with you to the junk yard and make sure its the right one..

Since your not getting spark on one of them, thats more than likely the issue.. You need to make sure there is no more oil in the spark plug tube when you put the new one on..

I have a saab repair guy looking for a used one for me to test with, will know in the morning. Also found a junkyard that states he has one for $35 but these things are known for issues and its most likely just as bad if he even in fact has what he states he has.