Can you sell your home (no mortgage) for $1?

KillJoy

There's no sales tax on house sales, but the owners' new property tax would be based on the assessed value. I think you'd have a hard time convincing the IRS that this was a legitimate $1 sale as opposed to a gift. You may have to pay capital gains tax and the recipient may have to pay income tax, but the rules appear to be way over my head:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tax_adviser/20060531a1.asp

There's no sales tax on house sales, but the owners' new property tax would be based on the assessed value. I think you'd have a hard time convincing the IRS that this was a legitimate $1 sale as opposed to a gift. You may have to pay capital gains tax and the recipient may have to pay income tax, but the rules appear to be way over my head:

http://www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/tax_adviser/20060531a1.asp

You're paying capital gains tax, no if and or buts (sadly), no matter how much you try and depreciate it. This will throw a red flag almost immediately with title agency's and the state and federal revenue services.

This is the situation. We will be purchasing my Parent's house. The thought is to buy it for $1. I know this will throw a Red Flag, and I will have to pay SOMETHING (what would be normal for a realistic purchase).

Once the house is mine, get a Home Equity Loan for the Purchase amount. The interest would be ~ 1/2.... so.... win /win!

KillJoy

I didn't think you paid cap gains on 1 house i.e. the house you lived in? If you had more than 1 house, so a second rental for example, and you sold the 2nd rental house, then you paid cap gains on it?

I do not think you pay Cap Gains on your primary residence.

KillJoy

This is the situation. We will be purchasing my Parent's house. The thought is to buy it for $1. I know this will throw a Red Flag, and I will have to pay SOMETHING (what would be normal for a realistic purchase).

Once the house is mine, get a Home Equity Loan for the Purchase amount. The interest would be ~ 1/2.... so.... win /win!

KillJoy

Uh, wat?

With an equity line, you are typically allowed to borrower up to 80% of the value of the home. These are also usually ARM's with a balloon payment and the rates are not as good as a fixed rate mortgage. Why are you assuming a HELOC's rate will be half of a conventional fixed mortgage?

-Marc

Uh, wat?

With an equity line, you are typically allowed to borrower up to 80% of the value of the home. These are also usually ARM's with a balloon payment and the rates are not as good as a fixed rate mortgage. Why are you assuming a HELOC's rate will be half of a conventional fixed mortgage?

-Marc

Also, this is why I am asking. If it looks promising that this is doable, I will be contacting "someone" for assistance getting it done.

KillJoy