90 GT Mustang No balls from a stop.

Chadz89GTA

Well I purchased a Mustang back in Feb. from a member on here and have been digging into it. Well after tuning it up and doing a few other things under the car, it really has ZERO balls from a stop. Am I spoiled from my Camaro and lighting them up from a stop and having all the power there? Or is this something that I can fix. To go over what I've done so far, I've tuned it up plugs/wires/cap/button. Ripped the air cleaner apart to get the gay silencer out, and thats about it. The tires are stock and it has a 3.08 rear. Were Stangs just terrible off the line? Hell I remember having a 87 camaro with a 305 that felt more alive then this thing.

Thanks,

Chad

It's the gears, 3.08's are junk. If you plan to keep an N/A motor in it or a Nitrous car put 4.10's in it. If you plan to go turbo I'd do some 3.55's (if a stick car) or keep it where it is for an auto car. I had a hatch for a minute and it was dead with the stock gears from a stop.

If I were dump money into anything it would be the car in my sig. This is my wifes car and what I meant was when you nail the gas it acts as if its shitting the bed and damn near stalls. Hell even my ranger with a 4L and 33's doesnt choke out that bad. Everyone thinking I'm gunna make this a race car is a winnar ;)

Shouldn't really matter though. I'm not expecting anything crazy just it not shitting itself when nailed from a stop. The camaro I had was a 2.73 with a 305 and it would move the fuck out.

A 305 car "moved the fuck out"? Must have never been in anything else at the time. You probably remember it seeming fast, like all of the other 305 owners, but it really was a dog. Sounds like your GT is as well. Is it an auto? Sounds like it. Autos in those are junk!!!

Auto, 103k miles, bone stock.

And no one seems to wanna read. If it burns tire or does not, why the hell does it wanna stall when I slam the gas from a stop?

Ragged out pos auto. They were absolute dogs with the auto that they came with. Bad gearing and they barely held the stock power and torque. Have you done any tune up related stuff?

And no one seems to wanna read. If it burns tire or does not, why the hell does it wanna stall when I slam the gas from a stop?

check check and check

Autos are dog shit off the line, the 3.08 does not help either. Bump the timing and find a rear end with 3:73s in it.

I would look at the TPS voltage, and MAF connections.

Unless its running DR's or slicks, it should still be able to do a burnout from a stand still.

While I agree that these cars are slow when they are dead stock, I'd agree that it sounds like something is wrong. Based on your description anyway. A friend of mine had a stock auto Fox and it was pretty torquey in the low to mid range, it just sucked past 4500 rpm.

Check/adjust timing (someone already suggested)

Most of all you could have an improperly adjusted or bad TPS. You can check the voltage sweep while you open the throttle with an analog voltmeter to see if there is a "dead" spot. They can wear out and get "noisy" just like old radios that hiss when you turn the volume knob. If that's the issue you'll see the needle on the meter jump around in a certain spot instead of moving in sync with the throttle opening.

Dirty MAF? Clean it up...

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMjgwOTg5Mzc1NF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTYwOTc1NA@@._V1._SX200_SY175_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
good job patterson. glad its running better. when I read something about a 305 moving out

I lol'd and knew something was obviously broken :gabe:

:megusta:

305 LOL. I had a TPI Trans Am and the quickest it ever went with the 305 was 14.5ish. The bunk heads, and small bore just kill it.