Time for a new GPS

mrs.cos

We have had a garmin Nuvi for a long time now(6+ years?). We have loved it.. but its dying a slow death.. takes forever to grab the satalites now, and isnt as quick on the ball as it used to be at finding locations..

I am going to NYC soon, driving, and would like one with traffic updates and lifetime maps.

No TomTom. I dont like them, dont want them.

Garmin has always made me happy, but wouldnt be upset at looking at a Magellen.

I will not use my phone for GPS.

Budget 150. I dont mind a previous model either, as long as the two features above are listed..

Why wouldn't you use your phone for GPS? I think you have the iPhone, right?

I downloaded MotionX GPS Drive the other day for 99 cents. Has voice free for 30 days, then you pay $10 per year if you want voice.

What exactly would make your old one die out and not catch the satellites?

My Garmin is starting to do the same. I bought the protection plan when I bought mine. They told me to get the plan and have the Garmin serviced before the plan runs out because this is common. I think that might be this year. I need to check on that.

I just got my new Garmin nüvi 2555LMT yesterday and started using it today. Great unit. $219 on amazon, may be able to find one elsewhere for your budget figure of 150. Heavy on great features (e.g., real-time traffic updates, construction info, lifetime map updates) that work easily.

Take a look a some reviews, see if it fits your needs.

I downloaded MotionX GPS Drive the other day for 99 cents. Has voice free for 30 days, then you pay $10 per year if you want voice.

^^ I've been using Motion X for years. Best out there IMO. Works flawlessly. Even my reps in the field use it. You can prefetch the route too so even if you lose AT&T you're fine.

I do have a very nice ($900 at the time) Garmin 2620 with a sandbag style mount that you're welcome to take and use along the way. All maps are preloaded on the internal HD and it's easy to update via USB to PC.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0001MHL0Y.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Absolutely no to the phone. No if ands or nuts on his. I will not do it.

It has annual updated we do. It's just old and slow. He first annual update we did to it made it terrible to use. Each one since has made it worse and worse.

Yah.. I am traveling with my mom and brother.. I will need my phone for entertainment at times..

NO PHONE FOR GPS. I realize its a convience thing but i dont want tmy phone atached to teh windshield wile i am driving

Hit closed road with no service, boom you're fucked.

So, true.

Aahhh...

See I've always used my phone, and I've been through areas with no reception (I'm on t-mo for fucks sake) and its been fine. I also use my phone for entertainment. The GPS voice will interrupt whatever you are doing.

Just saying.

Search no longer I was in the same predicament as you and have the answer!

I had a garmin 650 and the battery was wore out and it was locked up on me (a fresh battery fixes it but oh well.

Garmin 2450LM

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-Widescreen-Portable-Navigator-Lifetime/dp/B003ZX870E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336093787&sr=8-1

Reasons its awesome.

- 5" display (you can pick smaller displays and they are cheaper)

- Most importantly, it has a powered cradle. This means when you remove the GPS the chord stays with the cradle. This is important because most other models you have a USB micro or mini connection which was not designed to be cycled so much and ends up wearing out. The cradle connection is much more robust and designed to handle removal better. My previous garmin (650) had a power cradle also and I loved it.

- lifetime maps

- didn't care for traffic, I hear it sucks anyways.

If you have any questions let me know I really am glad I took the plunge on it. I use it when I travel for work and personal trips.

Aahhh...

See I've always used my phone, and I've been through areas with no reception (I'm on t-mo for fucks sake) and its been fine. I also use my phone for entertainment. The GPS voice will interrupt whatever you are doing.

Just saying.

And from experience, none of those programs mentioned in this thread work in Coshocton County and large portions of Western New York. It cuts signal then you get detoured and you have nothing.

They probably work fine for going suburb to suburb....

And from experience, none of those programs mentioned in this thread work in Coshocton County and large portions of Western New York. It cuts signal then you get detoured and you have nothing.

They probably work fine for going suburb to suburb....

Bet the Navigon on my iPhone works flawlessly. All maps are stored locally on the phone, absolutely zero data transmission required to use. It does text to speech, so I don't even have to have the app up, just running in the background. Makes it easier to thumbs up/down pandora while I drive. And of someone were to break into my car they won't be off with my gps, because it's in my pocket!

I work in coshocton and muskingum counties a lot and if I do end up needing a map I have a map of Ohio preloaded on another app called MapDroid. It gets me where I need to go if I have to use it. I also use it for trail riding in Southern, OH.

In most cases though once you've set the destination address google maps will cache the route and get you there just fine.

Another really awesome advantage to google maps is the satellite photos. I use it a few times per month to find some address that I can't figure out how to get to, ie a Kokosing construction trailer hidden hundreds of yards off a road and in trees. Very useful.