It's here, haters!

Draco-REX

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI Real cR KAI are pressure cast so there is an advantage to buying them over the Rotas.... On the flipside, congrats on joining the unimaginative people who buy wheels based on what everyone else says..

:p

Nothing wrong with asking opinions.

Saw the car in person and looks worlds better than the pearl white one last week.

Car seemed well layed out, good features and looked much better than the pictures indicate.

Not a big fan of the spoiler though, but overall, the car looked good!

No problem.

It was good to have it out at a C&C. :)

To further send s15 into a tizzy, I may have found some WedsSports TC105N wheels in stock somewhere. They're bronze but I may jump on them if I can get the on-hand verified.

No problem.

It was good to have it out at a C&C. :)

To further send s15 into a tizzy, I may have found some WedsSports TC105N wheels in stock somewhere. They're bronze but I may jump on them if I can get the on-hand verified.

A tizzy? More like a pat on the back!!!!

A tizzy? More like a pat on the back!!!!

Heh. Actually I meant that because someone recommended them earlier and I said no due to the need to powdercoat.

Well, hopefully they'll reply to my message with a yes and I'll get them. Otherwise it's back to Tire Rack.

Unless you know of some place that has 17x8+42 5x100 WedsSport TC105Ns in stock and ready to ship for $450 or less per wheel.

Those sizes are not going to look like the ones I posted

A search yielded that you can go 17x9 +35 easily in that wheel on your car

9" is too wide for a 235 tire, IMO. And I don't want to go wider as the car just isn't heavy/powerful enough to put wider rubber to use. 17x8 with a 235/40-17 is right where I want to be with this car. Additionally, going to such a low offset will increase the scrub radius and make the steering heavier/more numb.

Believe me, I've considered the sizes.

If I wanted to just go for looks, I'd increase the camber up front, put some 245s on a 9" wide tire and then some 265s on 10" rears. But that would ruin what I like so much about the car.

That reminds me, I posted some Reverse Impressions on FT86Club, and didn't post them here.

Reposted from FT86Club.com:

Reverse Impressions.

So, it's one thing to go from one car to a new one. But it's very different going from the new one back to the previous car. The BRZ "Ghost" feels quick and tight and seems to be getting faster and faster as I drive it.

But how much of that is the car and my ability to use it improving, and how much of it is just a shift in perception?

In this case, I took my STI "Grip" out for a spin today.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3059/2624954895_63c07d8fbb_b.jpg

I've had Grip since new. Power wise it's nearly stock with only a Stage 1 tune. I want to go Stage 2 eventually, but just haven't gotten around to it. Where Grip shines is in handling. There isn't a single piece of the suspension that I haven't had my hands on at one point or another. I'd put this car against almost anything when it comes to on-road handling.

I've AutoXed, "canyon" carved and done quite a bit with this car, so I know it inside and out. It has been a long time since Grip has scared me.

It scared me today. But I'll get to that in a second.

First off, the clutch. I thought Ghost's clutch was getting heavier as I broke it in. I've gotten better at feeling the engagement and I've been feeling better with the clutch. In this case, it's all perception. When I first went to start Grip and push the clutch in, I had to double check that I wasn't pushing in the brake. The stock STI clutch has never really been called too-heavy and I've never felt that way. But compared to the BRZ clutch, it's like exercise equipment. I was amazed at the difference and thought something had failed in the clutch since I last drove Grip.

Handling. While Ghost eagerly turns in and carves nice arcs through corners, there's still a slight feeling of effort. It's probably the Michelins scrubbing a bit. Grip on the other hand slices through corners so effortlessly. There's room to improve the BRZ suspension. However, while Grip changes direction quickly and with accuracy, it doesn't have the sense of eagerness that the BRZ has. Grip feels like it's following my commands to the letter like a soldier. Ghost feels like its eager to please and anticipates my steering inputs. Both are excellent aspects to have.

Throttle response. The BRZ's N/A engine is very responsive. Keep it out of the torque valley and the power is there instantly. Even with the tune on Grip, the throttle response is nowhere near as direct. Throttle inputs are soft and I just don't get the feeling that it wants to leap ahead like I get from Ghost. But that's the downfall with turbos and why I don't think turbocharging, no matter how little lag, is not the choice for the BRZ chassis.

Then I put my foot down. HOLY $#!+. I haven't feel that tossed back in my seat for a very long time. While Ghost is responsive and peppy with adequate acceleration, Grip is on a whole other planet. I put my foot down and wound Grip out and it frightened me for a moment because I wasn't ready for it. Driving Ghost has shifted my perceptions some. Is it a bad thing? I don't think so. It makes moments like above in the STI new again and a lot of fun.

So driving Grip after nearly a week only driving Ghost has really put a perspective on things. Ultimately, my STI, "Grip", feel like a weapon compared to the BRZ. It's sharp, precise, and efficient. Kind of like the vehicular equivalent of a rifle. Ghost on the other hand feels more like a martial art. It has flow and form. Responses are more organic and natural feeling.

If you want to stick with weapon analogies, Grip is like a broad sword, and Ghost is like a stiletto. Both will kill a man, but each in a different way.

Do I regret my purchase? Not at all. Ghost is still a lot of fun, and has a lot to teach me as well. It will make a great daily and enjoyable AutoXer.

Lots of ugly in that thread. :(

This one:

http://cdn.mkimg.carview.co.jp/minkara/parts/000/004/536/584/4536584/p1.jpg?ct=c838e3dabccf

..makes me think Alleggeritas might not look too bad on the car.

Lots of ugly in that thread. :(

This one:

..makes me think Alleggeritas might not look too bad on the car.

Yeah, there is.

I thought post 9 looked good, and there is a shot of silver PF01s on page 2. Just thought you'd get some ideas, good or bad!

Ok, I'm pretty much committed to a set of these:

http://www.ravspeconline.com/shop/catalog/images/tc105-1789-1452.jpg

WedsSport TC105n 17x8+42 in Titanium Bronze.

I'll bolt them up to see how they look and make a final decision about powdercoat.