It's here, haters!

Draco-REX

Told ya you knew where it was. Did you see it pre- or post-ricing? I let my inner ricer out to play a little today. Pics soon.

Not sure if it was before or after. Likely after as just looking at the updated pics the tips or wing look different, but I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't tell what changed. In the end, it looks good. Will kick ass with new wheels and lower stance. Add in boost later if you feel it's what's next. I agree that a supercharger would be fun and likely the way to go with this car.

Interesting that for a new car with so much love/hate that we're on page 9.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NT03 in Hyper black

http://luisbicol.smugmug.com/Cars/My-STi-Oct2010/IMG4527/1108351783_9ko9t-L.jpg

http://luisbicol.smugmug.com/Cars/My-STi-Oct2010/IMG4540/1108357422_K8QjH-L.jpg

on a black car

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h120/ghg78/jswing003new.jpg

on a better looking black car

http://philscarblog.files.wordpress.com/2011/03/5545528532_aeafa10574_b.jpg?w=550&h=366

rpf1s ???

Also, I called local dealers who they advertised they had cars for sale, turns out they did not,... so still waiting until the cars are here

I don't like the inner ring on the RPF1. It makes the rim look 1" smaller than it is. If I had to get them, I'd get black to camouflage it. But I'm trying not to do another all black car.

Was it the auto or stick? I was surprised at how slow a auto feels over a stick on a 4 banger when I was out test driving cars. My MR2 has 200whp and that thing is a blast to drive.

I signed up for the BRZ test day on June 23.

Draco, that looks great on the rear. Can't wait to see it in person and you debadge parts of it.

The more I drive this car, the faster it feels. I think I'm getting the hang of finding the power on the rev band when I want it.

NO

What about Enkei NT03's? I think they're funky enough they'd look good on the car. I've never seen them on a car and not liked them in person. Only Silver or Hyper black but the hyper black might actually look right at home on your car.

I like NT03s, but only if they have a concave face. The flat face looks really bad IMO. Also, the only 5x100 fitment is 18x8+35. Which will fit. But tire choice is limited, I'm not sure if I'll get the concave face, and it's over 19lbs.

Kosei K1

CCW Classics

Volk TE37 or LE37

BBS RC

BBS CH-R

Expensive rims are on the STI. I'm trying to stay under $400. And the K1s would need powdercoating. I'm hesitant to powdercoat these lightweight rims because there's so little metal in the spokes that I'm worried they'll weaken.

Not sure if it was before or after. Likely after as just looking at the updated pics the tips or wing look different, but I'm embarrassed to say I couldn't tell what changed. In the end, it looks good. Will kick ass with new wheels and lower stance. Add in boost later if you feel it's what's next. I agree that a supercharger would be fun and likely the way to go with this car.

Interesting that for a new car with so much love/hate that we're on page 9.

It's because of the mix. High feelings in both the Neck Snapper camp and the Side Loader camp.

I guess it comes down to: Why am I not choosing one of these rims?

For the TSW it's a couple reasons. One, it's a TSW. While the Nurburgring and Interlagos are solid entries into the Big Boy rim arena, they still have the TSW "wizzles" stigma attached to them. Second, I'm not sure on the availability. I'm always wary when a business has to order stock in. I really should just get my ass to Disco Tire and see what they say. Because I think the Nurburgring would look great on this car (with painted center caps).

The Enkei PF01 is pretty simple. It only comes in silver or black.

Both OZ rims I'm not crazy about the looks for this car.

I'm being pretty picky here, but I think my tastes have worked in the past with the STI, so I don't want to compromise if possible.

I think the TSW is the way to go despite it's bad parentage.

I don't like the inner ring on the RPF1. It makes the rim look 1" smaller than it is. If I had to get them, I'd get black to camouflage it. But I'm trying not to do another all black car.

The more I drive this car, the faster it feels. I think I'm getting the hang of finding the power on the rev band when I want it.

I like NT03s, but only if they have a concave face. The flat face looks really bad IMO. Also, the only 5x100 fitment is 18x8+35. Which will fit. But tire choice is limited, I'm not sure if I'll get the concave face, and it's over 19lbs.

Expensive rims are on the STI. I'm trying to stay under $400. And the K1s would need powdercoating. I'm hesitant to powdercoat these lightweight rims because there's so little metal in the spokes that I'm worried they'll weaken.

It's because of the mix. High feelings in both the Neck Snapper camp and the Side Loader camp.

I guess it comes down to: Why am I not choosing one of these rims?

For the TSW it's a couple reasons. One, it's a TSW. While the Nurburgring and Interlagos are solid entries into the Big Boy rim arena, they still have the TSW "wizzles" stigma attached to them. Second, I'm not sure on the availability. I'm always wary when a business has to order stock in. I really should just get my ass to Disco Tire and see what they say. Because I think the Nurburgring would look great on this car (with painted center caps).

The Enkei PF01 is pretty simple. It only comes in silver or black.

Both OZ rims I'm not crazy about the looks for this car.

I'm being pretty picky here, but I think my tastes have worked in the past with the STI, so I don't want to compromise if possible.

I think the TSW is the way to go despite it's bad parentage.

Have to find the wheel that's absolutely right for you. No worries about being picky I totally get it.

I don't see why the weds I posted earlier aren't perfect? You are acting more dramatic than my wife when she drops big coin on a hand bag. You = overcomplicating big time. Sack up

lol. I plan to only buy ONE set of rims for this car. I want them to be the right ones the first time.

As for the Weds, they're a great rim and I would love a set. But they only come in silver and I'm concerned about powdercoating a rim with such skinny spokes.

And while my $400/rim budget is flexible for the right rim, powdercoating Wedssports would put them into the $600 range. At that point I might as well go Volks.

XXR 522's

Can't find weights anywhere. Double-drilled and $140 per rim tells me these are probably pretty heavy.

At $400/wheel, you can go ForgeStar and skip all the headache.

They should change their name to CrackStar. LOTS and LOTS of reports of their "Roatary Forged" series (they're cast damn it!) having issues. To be fair this is on heavier cars and the wheels are relatively light for what they are but I'd skip if I had to do it all over again.

Just got done repairing one of the front's on the benz which we found to be cracked when flipping tires.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q192/ZainoDetail/100.jpg

I

SO coat them K1s.... I used K1s for multiple trackdays and they've never run into any cracking concern...Let me be clear that I am a heavy curb user

http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/NASA-Great-Lakes-Midwest-Team/HPDE-9798-BMW-E36-M3/August-2011-Mid-Ohio/i-HV8kpxC/0/XL/IMG1485HitzemanNASAMidOhioHPDE-XL.jpg

http://f-51gtphoto.smugmug.com/NASA-Great-Lakes-Midwest-Team/HPDE-9798-BMW-E36-M3/August-2011-Mid-Ohio/i-WprfTBt/0/M/IMG2835HitzemanNASAMidOhioHPDE-M.jpg

granted, mine were NOT coated but at what temp does it need to bake for coating? (Patterson knows) I'm sure if it's anywhere undeer 300F that the metallurgical properties (heat cycling/affecting) of the Aluminum would be pretty much unaffected.

I did drive those wheels for over 40k miles and no less than 7 track weekends (including Nelson Ledges 3 times)

On wheels you have 3 things you can get: cost, weight, strength......Pick two, you will never get the 3rd one unless you can steal something like Fikses, CCWs, Volks, BBSs, Team Dynamics, HREs, etc etc

For all intents and purposes, the Kosei K1 at $175/wheel on the BMW (maybe same price on your car) is cheap and pretty much a throwaway item if they do crack

I like the F14, but how light is "lightweight"? Not to mention they start at 18" which limits my tire choice.

I think the smallest they make is 18 x 8.5 and is 17.5 lbs.

A litle tire stretch is good for tire performance as long as it's not extreme. You could run a 225 or 235 easily on that 8.5 without issue. The sport cup's I ran on my CCW track wheels last year were 235's on a 9" wheel.

On wheels you have 3 things you can get: cost, weight, strength......Pick two, you will never get the 3rd one unless you can steal something like Fikses, CCWs, Volks, BBSs, Team Dynamics, HREs, etc etc

The problem is that I have a reasonable cost/weight/strength balance in mind that quite a few rims meet, but either the color is wrong or they'll look like crap on this car.

I called DT and they have to get the TSWs from the manufacturer, and I have yet to get a call back on when that might happen. So those are out.

F-it. Maybe I'll just get a set of silver PF01s and risk powdercoating them.

I think the smallest they make is 18 x 8.5 and is 17.5 lbs.

A litle tire stretch is good for tire performance as long as it's not extreme. You could run a 225 or 235 easily on that 8.5 without issue. The sport cup's I ran on my CCW track wheels last year were 235's on a 9" wheel.

Unfortunately there's no good tire choices at 235/35-18.

I really wish I could get into Tire Rack's wholesaler site. It really frustrates me that I can't just sort through offsets and sizes for all the rims. FOr being so enthusiast-oriented, they really don't make rim selection easy for the more advanced buyer.

I really wish I could get into Tire Rack's wholesaler site. It really frustrates me that I can't just sort through offsets and sizes for all the rims. FOr being so enthusiast-oriented, they really don't make rim selection easy for the more advanced buyer.

to muddy the waters, you should know that BBS engineers color into their wheels...they dont simply powdercoat........I dunno how Forgeline or CCW do it but give them a call and talk to their tech people..>I'm sure they can give you the insight/peace of mind you crave

in any event, good luck and as long as you are happy with your choice, it is all that matters....Fuck haters, get bitches.

tires-easy.com

Skip looking at 235/35s, not a common size in any way. 225/35s are what I would look into.