Nelson Ledges Road Course - Saturday, July 21st, Only $110!

theweiser1

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will not be there. Did Mid Ohio yesterday on the bike. I'm taking this weekend for down time. Have not been at the house on a weekend since Last weekend of May.

Be safe and have fun.

How was Mid Ohio? i assume all went well as you are still alive and it doesn't sound like you are super angry about wrecking the bike.

In May, I took a friend who is a sportbike track time instructor for a ride around Mid O in my car. He's a pro on bike but had never been in a car around there.

He was very surprised how much curb I was using and told bikes could never take such lines. He loved it. He's got a Ducati 749s

Mid Ohio in a car is so different from on a bike, at least for me. I have not been on there with a bike before. Track has you working the whole time. Referencing and getting a read on breaking and elevation. Was a good time for sure. Didn't wreck, but was taking it very easy.

Rode bikes at Mid O before I ever drove a car there. To be honest the line's no different. I rode what would be considered the "club" line in a car environment, basically safe / late apex in the couple spots where Mid Ohio can actually bite you.

Back then I didn't know any better, didn't understand the in's and out's of the track, what it takes to really be quick there and how to really do it correctly.

As a student of the sport in general the bike line still isn't any different than the car line, except where we'd be using the curbing for the inside wheels they just use that as a place to drag their knee. Watching the Mid Ohio AMA stuff this past weekend I saw just that, guys with their knees on the curb or even inside grass in spots where I'd place my inside tires there.

Interesting thing applies going over the top of madnes (T8 for us car club course guys...did anyone notice AMA was calling the right hander at the end of the straight T6??? ) Anyhow Every time through Leader would fully track out the right hander at the end of the straight, attacking bikes would move right and try to get a head of steam going over the top in madness. Didn't really matter though cause fully traking out and throwing away the entry to the left hander over the top of the hill is still the quickest way.

Mid Ohio in a car is so different from on a bike, at least for me. I have not been on there with a bike before. Track has you working the whole time. Referencing and getting a read on breaking and elevation. Was a good time for sure. Didn't wreck, but was taking it very easy.

what were you breaking?

depending on how moving into my new place goes, I'll make it up I hope

can I sign up on site, Shawn?

I saw your video and just to be fair, your lines in a couple of places need cleaning up (t4 and carousel) but overall not shabby :)

You can signup online until 11:59pm on Friday night. I will also accept cash only at the gate.

I have trouble with turn 1, the tires i had were crappy eBay street tires that came with rims. I would go into turn one and it the rear would just start to come around so i have been taking it easy through turn 1 and my line is usually crap.

Lets talk more about the areas of opportunity! No matter how many times I have been to or organized these events I always learn something. Thats the attitude most of our drivers have and it makes for a great event and time at the track.

what were you breaking?

Genius. Wow, you caught a grammatical error on a car forum. Pound your chest and let all who shall read this know you are the Alpha Male with the red pen. Now , go fist yourself. No one really cares.

Then you can copy and past this in the LOL thread and it might be the funnest thing you have posted in there.

Andy, I don't have much experience on Mid Ohio in either form. However, for me, I found myself sweeping out and wide on the exit of corners. Sounds like what you might want, but that's not the line I was going for and had challenges bringing it back to where I was wanting it.

The Miata is ready to go, got the ATE Super Blue flushed through, and some Hawk 9012 track pads installed and bedded.

All I can say is WOW, my first set of track pads and I'm totally impressed. If this car would accelerate as fast as it stops it would be perfect, I can't describe how fast it stops. I can't wait for saturday.

Scott,

If you halfway like your paint, I STRONGLY advise you bring a bottle of windex and wipe your paint and wheels clean every session

the 9012 are metallic and have quite the stigma of harming paint if the dust settles on there for more than 24hrs.

that said, the Hawk Blues are still pretty good pads but their tech is a bit out of date compared to the DTC series

I usually stay at the fairfield inn and suites in streetsboro but priceline is sucking...so I'm at the microtell ...leaving downtown Columbus around 5pm on Friday if anyone is heading up. Should be at the hotel around 9 if you want to stop by for a few beers or maybe bw3 ...

Scott,

If you halfway like your paint, I STRONGLY advise you bring a bottle of windex and wipe your paint and wheels clean every session

the 9012 are metallic and have quite the stigma of harming paint if the dust settles on there for more than 24hrs.

that said, the Hawk Blues are still pretty good pads but their tech is a bit out of date compared to the DTC series

Thanks for the tip, that doesn't surprise me at all. The tech may be a little out of date, but they are going to be a lot of fun.

Thanks for the tip, that doesn't surprise me at all. The tech may be a little out of date, but they are going to be a lot of fun.

no doubt!

especially the wheels are a concern, because the hot pad dust will settle, burn into the wheels' clearcoat, effectively etching them and ruining their appearance if left sitting

such is life with the 9012

I usually stay at the fairfield inn and suites in streetsboro but priceline is sucking...so I'm at the microtell ...leaving downtown Columbus around 5pm on Friday if anyone is heading up. Should be at the hotel around 9 if you want to stop by for a few beers or maybe bw3 ...

Y U NO STAY IN TWINSBURG???? me, my buddy, and brrrrcats will be in twinsburg. maybe we can plan dinner or something. PM me your number.

Y U NO STAY IN TWINSBURG???? me, my buddy, and brrrrcats will be in twinsburg. maybe we can plan dinner or something. PM me your number.

We stay in streetsboro ... its about 20 min to the track ... probably about 10 min from where your staying. There is a bw3's in streetsboro we will probably eat dinner at. Won't get there until about 9 or so but if your up for a few drinks and wings we will be there. I will pm you my cell.

Word of advice. Two beers only. 7am comes early, you want to stay hydrated so bring a cooler and drink plenty of water or Gatorade through out the day and don't over do it on the beers the night before.

We stay in streetsboro ... its about 20 min to the track ... probably about 10 min from where your staying. There is a bw3's in streetsboro we will probably eat dinner at. Won't get there until about 9 or so but if your up for a few drinks and wings we will be there. I will pm you my cell.

Word of advice. Two beers only. 7am comes early, you want to stay hydrated so bring a cooler and drink plenty of water or Gatorade through out the day and don't over do it on the beers the night before.

yea i know i don't plan to have more than 2-3 beers the night before.

Blue's are oldies but goodies.

Here's the trick with the dust for not only the wheels but as rich pointed out your whole car particularly behind the wheel wells is subjected to this. IF the day is going to be dry which it would appear it's going to be on Saturday you'll be fine heading up there, running all day then coming back home. I'd suggest washing the car either when you get home saturday night or Sunday morning will be fine too.

HOWEVER, if you soo much as spit into the wind incorrectly and get that dust wet then allow it to dry again it will never fully come off. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can hose down the wheels and get most of the dust off of there, if you're not prepared to completely and properly wash the car and wheels once water comes into the equation you will be in trouble.

Performance Friction had that problem with their old 97 compound pads too. Most of the newer pads don't do this and have better cold bite characteristics but you pay the price difference for the newer technology. The Hawk DTC's I run barely dust more than my street pads.

Blue's are oldies but goodies.

Here's the trick with the dust for not only the wheels but as rich pointed out your whole car particularly behind the wheel wells is subjected to this. IF the day is going to be dry which it would appear it's going to be on Saturday you'll be fine heading up there, running all day then coming back home. I'd suggest washing the car either when you get home saturday night or Sunday morning will be fine too.

HOWEVER, if you soo much as spit into the wind incorrectly and get that dust wet then allow it to dry again it will never fully come off. Don't fool yourself into thinking you can hose down the wheels and get most of the dust off of there, if you're not prepared to completely and properly wash the car and wheels once water comes into the equation you will be in trouble.

Performance Friction had that problem with their old 97 compound pads too. Most of the newer pads don't do this and have better cold bite characteristics but you pay the price difference for the newer technology. The Hawk DTC's I run barely dust more than my street pads.

Thanks, my dumb ass would have hosed the car off after racing.

I'll be heading up early in the morning. If anyone needs track tires, tools, canopies, or anything else transported to the track, I have plenty of room in my truck and trailer. You'll have to drop off and pick up afterwards in Johnstown.

Like Andy, I am more than willing to offer advice on how to get around Nelson Ledges, unlike Andy, I will not sit in your passenger seat, that guy is crazy for doing so. If you want some pointers, find me in the paddock, I'll be driving the black RX7 #387.

anybody have a fat head helmet I/we could borrow just for ride along's? My buddy wants to come up with us but he doesn't have a helmet and nobody in my group of friends has one big enough. I dont know his size buts its LARGE.

If anyone has one they could share that would be great.

Derek

anybody have a fat head helmet I/we could borrow just for ride along's? My buddy wants to come up with us but he doesn't have a helmet and nobody in my group of friends has one big enough. I dont know his size buts its LARGE.

If anyone has one they could share that would be great.

Derek

i have a XXXL and a XXL, the XXXL i will be using in the beginner class, but he is more than welcome to borrow the XXL. these are ICON sizes which run a lil big.

i have a XXXL and a XXL, the XXXL i will be using in the beginner class, but he is more than welcome to borrow the XXL. these are ICON sizes which run a lil big.

that would be awesome. Ill use a hammer to make it fit if necessary.:lolguy: Ill look for you. looks like you're signed up with a prelude? maybe? Ill be driving a white vw.

that would be awesome. Ill use a hammer to make it fit if necessary.:lolguy: Ill look for you. looks like you're signed up with a prelude? maybe? Ill be driving a white vw.

Yup, red prelude. I swear on all that is holy if you have lice i will find where you live :D

unlike Andy, I will not sit in your passenger seat

I have a great story about a 70 yr old and a Maserati...I've never been soo scared and bored at the same time in a car on a race track. Thankfully the alarm kept going off while we were driving to keep me alert.