New Seatbelt Law in NJ

2011SVT

I think it's one of the most annoying things seeing a dog or cat on someone's lap and the person driving can barely see over the animal.

That being said, I think the seatbelt law is a bit much, but I wouldn't mind it if people were ticketed for having an animal sitting in their lap while driving.

You wonder why no legislator has the simple common sense to ask,

"So, Mr. Director of Public Safety, I see that distraction by unrestrained animal as #237 in the list of causes of accidents. Why, exactly, aren't we instead banning newspapers, GPS/Maps, smoking, and cosmetics as they are much higher on that list?"

Good intentions but it's stupid. I get it that animals can be distractions, and it's also nice to know that you're potentially saving your pet and others from a horrible death in the event of an accident. Just limit it to not allowing the animal on the driver's lap.

I think it's one of the most annoying things seeing a dog or cat on someone's lap and the person driving can barely see over the animal.

That being said, I think the seatbelt law is a bit much, but I wouldn't mind it if people were ticketed for having an animal sitting in their lap while driving.

this

The stupid thing is it includes animals in the back of a truck. No projectile issues to occupants of the vehicle, no problems with the animal in your lap, etc. In some states (I was gonna say most but I can't prove that) adults in the back seat or in the bed of a truck are not required to be belted.

^This. With a dog/cat on their lap they can barely focus on the road without focusing on the animal as well. Just leads to more bad drivers, and distractions. Seatbelts sounds a bit crazy though, considering they aren't human beings. Next thing you know, someone's going to be patenting an "animal seatbelt" LOL.

i wasnt able to read the article (browser wont pull it up), however does it say anything about the cages you put up over the back seat in suv's or having the animal in a cage. if someone get a ticket and the animals are restrained in such a was as i described above then the way the law is written is stupid in my opinion.

i wasnt able to read the article (browser wont pull it up), however does it say anything about the cages you put up over the back seat in suv's or having the animal in a cage. if someone get a ticket and the animals are restrained in such a was as i described above then the way the law is written is stupid in my opinion.

Dogs can be placed in harnesses that click right into the seat belt buckle. Cats don’t take well to harnesses for the most part, so they need to go in a carrier. And the carrier needs to be buckled down.[/Quote]

I know you couldn't read the article but this is the last piece of it. I assume if they are suggesting your cat in a carrier and the carrier buckled in that a dog needs to be buckled in or in a carrier and the carrier buckled in. Time for a 4'x8'x4' cage in the back of your pickup with a ratchet strap or other seatbelt device over it or a similar cage in the SUV?

I agree. I am betting it's more of an excuse to pull someone over who's driving like an idiot with their pet in their lap or something similar.

My dogs sit in back and behave. They probably wouldn't pull me over.

Im not saying like many other laws, the officer could use it for a reason to pull you over or if they're needing some funding.

You shouldn't have your animal running around the car barking out each window or laying on the dashboard or in your lap, etc. Ridiculous. It's ridiculous a law has to be made, like it's ridiculous I have to have a tag to tell me I can't use this blow dryer in the shower.

Also, it's already against the law to have your pets in the bed of your truck in some areas. I also don't think Jersey is the first with this law, though Im not sure about it.

I'm not quite sure why a carrier would need buckled down. was the law designed by someone that is genuinely concerned about the safety of animals? kinda seems pointless to strap down a carrier if the point of the law is to make the pets less of a distraction, a carrier alone could handle that.