When to euthanize a dog?

PRD2BDF

I've been struggling with this decision. My dog, a lab/retriever mix, is nearly 15-16 years old.

She has cataracts in both eyes and recently, she has been unable to get up without assistance so I have yo help her up. Even then, she is not able to remain up long enough to go bathroom. She frequently collapse in her own urine. She hasn't pooped any for two days and I think she is unable to exert.

It has happened to her before (unable to get up) but then she miraculously recovered.

I'm terrified that I will put down a dog that is just having a small bout. But then again the quality of her life even with my best efforts isn't good.

Advise?

Don't walk into the vet with any predetermined decision (i.e., I will or will not euthanize the dog today). Let the vet look and see what's going on, then make a decision about quality of life from there.

I agree with Hal, but i would still probably not euthanize. Just doesnt seem right for the dog regardless of the quality of life. But its understandable, guess im just a hippie.

Tough decision. Based solely on your description, I would take it the vet expecting that it is time.

Yes, get an opinion from your vet. They will probably at least want to do blood work to see what is going on. At that age though, sounds like he's just out of gas. I just went through this myself a couple months ago. I have watched both of my parents pass and this was the hardest decision I have ever had to make.

Def see the vet as people have said. It sucks there comes a point where you could spare the dog a while longer(if that is an option for you) but at considerable cost which is where my dog is getting as well @ 13 years old.

Good luck as it's tough when you have any pet around for a length of time.

Don't walk into the vet with any predetermined decision (i.e., I will or will not euthanize the dog today). Let the vet look and see what's going on, then make a decision about quality of life from there.

THIS.

consult with the vet. go home, talk things over with friends/family, make a decision, and don't look back. its natural not to 'want' to let go of family members, even when their time has come.

It's not hippyish to want your dog to go out naturally.

there's nothing 'natural' about what you're describing. think of what happens to a wounded, old, or 'unfit' animal in the wild---it meets a quick end at the hands of a predator. that is what would be considered natural.

I had the same problem with my 15 year lab/retriever mix. Got her from the pound when she was 1 year old. Best dog I ever had. By around 14 she had arthritis very bad. Couldn't walk without limping and had trouble going up and down stairs. Vet said she needed expensive surgery. Our family was poor at the time so that wasn't an option. By the time she was 15 she couldn't even walk outside to pee. We had to carry her everywhere. She slept in the kitchen by her food and water dish. She had lost weight by then but she was still 100-120 lbs ?? We gave her pain pills in her food and she ate it but it wasn't enough. Kept her around as long as we could but we all could see in her eyes she was in pain. We took her to the vet and put her down. Worst experience of my life. :(

I'm the biggest cry baby when it comes to losing a pet. This thread puts me on edge just thinking about the two I lost in the last few years. I absolutely see where LJ is coming from too though.

Once the quality of life reaches a point where you have to question it, there's perhaps no need to question it as you have your answer. I temper that by also measuring the amount of pain or suffering they are going through though.

That to me is the benchmark factor. I wouldn't ever put my pets through the stress of ongoing pain.

It may be too late but glucosamine, msm, & chondroitin supplements can really help. You can give the human stuff if you want. I have seen good results with this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19868

^^ I'm a believer too. Used it on our Female boxer for years and she really responded very well. Never had issues while on it. Her dosages were nearly on par with mine too.

I'm also on it myself after having a pretty severe back injuring nearly 20 years ago. I've even gone off it and after a few weeks the pain and aches, especially in the morning will come back.

It takes 2-3 weeks to build up in the system and take effect but I'm a believer.

Euthanasia should not be seen as something you do to a pet, but rather a gift you give him/her. There comes a point when the animal's quality of life deteriorates to the point when they are in constant pain and discomfort, keeping the animal alive turns into a selfish decision. Do what is best for your dog, and rarely is pumping them fill of pain killers the best thing. Euthanasia can be an escape and end to pretty terrible suffering... Edited by acceleration_is_my_drug

^I agree.

We had to make the decision just over a year ago. We had a lady come to the house and do it there so that there was less stress. Here is the lady that came: http://www.closureathome.com/ We were happy we did.

Just in case the "pumping them full of pain killers" was in reference to the 5-loxin...

5-Loxin is a new patent-pending joint health ingredient that promotes mobility and comfort, while helping to protect important joint tissues.

The most potent Boswellia Serrata Extract Available Inhibits the action of enzymes that break down cartilage Defends joints against further breakdown of joint tissues

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_5-loxin#ixzz1y9v9o4WD

Had to do the same to my dog of 12 years (had him since he was 3 months old)....probably one of THE hardest decisions I had to make in my life. Lucky (my dog) was having liver failure, and the Vet told me he wouldn't live through the night peacefully. Died right there in my arms as they euthanized......

Talk to the Vet, and also ask what they would do if it were their dog. I think most will tell you what is right. Do what is best for your little buddy, no matter how much it hurts to hear the truth.

God bless, and good luck with your companion.

I took her to the vet today. I decided to euthanize her. The vet reported a weight loss of 15 lbs, a fever of 102. The vet reported bloody stool and maggots developing in her private areas. At that point, I just knee that I needed to end it to allow her to escape.

I was petting her as her heart stopped. As much as it hurt me, I just knew it was the best thing I could give her.

I will miss her terribly.

You may have been dumb, half deaf, and half blind but you were my first dog I raised.

RIP Beemer.

I took her to the vet today. I decided to euthanize her. The vet reported a weight loss of 15 lbs, a fever of 102. The vet reported bloody stool and maggots developing in her private areas. At that point, I just knee that I needed to end it to allow her to escape.

I was petting her as her heart stopped. As much as it hurt me, I just knew it was the best thing I could give her.

I will miss her terribly.

You may have been dumb, half deaf, and half blind but you were my first dog I raised.

RIP Beemer.

Sorry for your loss man. It does sounds like the right thing was done. I was there for both of mine passing and know that feeling. To this day it hurts but knowing it was best for them is key.

At least you were there with her buddy. This was just back in January when I did it. His ashes are sitting on the fireplace mantle and we are deciding how to remember him properly.

Sorry for your loss. Just remember the good times now.

This is my guy the day I got him:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/400810_10150497886646497_280102862_n.jpg

And the most recent:

http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/400569_10150497890611497_966573160_n.jpg

Hang in there!