AEP asks us to conserve power from 3-7pm

SpaceGhost

Please turn off TVs and lights, and raise the thermostat temp on AC units. If we don't conserve enough power they will start turning off circuits and we will be without power. Spread the word.

No, they'll raise the cost of electricity for everyone if they go above peak usage. I get emails at the plant every day about this. If the usage goes above what they are "prepared" for, they raise the cost of electricity for everyone. Good thing Bellefontaine is on DP&L.

No problem! :thumbup:

*STILL waiting for power to be restored at mah house...*

If the power comes in the next 3 hours.. AEP is asking you to turn off your main breaker in the house so you don't have power until 7 they tell you to turn it back on. :lolguy:

LOL. brb running both of my AC units full blast, leavin my table saw on, charging all my batteries

This,

but wouldn't it be funny if AEP are trying to pull the reverse pysch on you just for you to rebel and use more electricity so that they make more money off you.

Jus Sayin. :marc:

but wouldn't it be funny if AEP are trying to pull the reverse pysch on you just for you to rebel and use more electricity so that they make more money off you.

Just like the gas companies sending out those "gas prices are going UP" chain emails three days before prices go down...

No, they'll raise the cost of electricity for everyone if they go above peak usage. I get emails at the plant every day about this. If the usage goes above what they are "prepared" for, they raise the cost of electricity for everyone. Good thing Bellefontaine is on DP&L.

This is incorrect. AEP has a tariff in place, and your costs cannot be raised outside of what is permitted by that tariff as negotiated with the PUCO.

The cost CAN BE raised via a fuel and purchased power rider, but that only happens quarterly. You will not see a one day increase in price just because.

EDIT: Just read the tariff, and DP&L has the same rider, just called something different. Bellefontaine is not special. Because I don't know you, I am going to chalk this one up to "Miscommunication", and let you off the hook for "Speaking out of turn". I am in a charitable mood today.

Not a big fan of AEP or Puco.

Understandable, however, just yesterday PUCO came down with a ruling regarding capacity charges in AEP that was so good that it just about restored my faith in the system. i am reserving judgement untilt he rest of the rate case is settled, but trust me when I say that the new deal is SOOO much better than the old.

with so many people without power right now you would thing that they would be way under their allotted usage.

its not their usage is the transmission grid that is being taxed hard. Consider the grid like the roads in Columbus, say they close 315 and all of 270. You would get a ton of cars on 71 in both directions causing congestion. That's pretty much the easiest way I can explain it without getting into further specifics. If we don't conserve power you'll experience a brownout then it'll be blackouts.

Not a big fan of AEP or Puco.

Electricity isn't a right and you don't have to use it. Find a company you like and ask them to put up some transmission lines to your house, maintain these transmission lines, and supply you with power as cheap as AEP does. If you dont have a locked in rate with AEP retail who's fault is that? A simple phone call can change that and save you a bunch of money.

BTW: Ohio is going DE-regulated very soon so you can say goodbye to PUCO.

Understandable, however, just yesterday PUCO came down with a ruling regarding capacity charges in AEP that was so good that it just about restored my faith in the system. i am reserving judgement untilt he rest of the rate case is settled, but trust me when I say that the new deal is SOOO much better than the old.

PUCO is a joke, how do you approve something then re-neg on it after it goes into effect. They knew what the new rates were going to be. All AEP is doing to trying to prevent companies from coming in and using their transmission lines for free when they spent the money to built and maintain these lines. Furthermore with all the government regulation with the clean air act going in effect its becoming more and more expensive to make the electricity so they need some way of recouping their costs to make a profit.

Everyone's looking for a handout now-a-days, you guys should ask Obama for some government power for everyone.

Chief, Ohio has been "DE-regulated" for something like 10 years. It just never made sense for anyone to shop because power was more expensive on the market than it was via utility tariff.

That capacity rate is set at an auction. Everyone else on the PJM network pays the same rate. So, FE, Duke, and DP&L all charge the same for their capacity as did AEP, until AEP said, "Hey, I want a bigger piece". I am not arguing that a company should not be paid a fair value for the services it provides, but the value was fair before AEP asked for the bump. For the record, you are aware that the PJM auction rate is $16 per mW/day right now, and AEP initially asked to make $355 per mW/day? I'm not super great with percentages, but you don't have to be to know that's ridiculous. In the know, as a trader, you should get that that move was designed to do one thing and one thing only, limit shopping. Also, capacity charges have nothing to do with the cost to generate power, just to transport it, so your point that the "Clean Air" bills are forcing them down this road is rendered moot.

Not sure what that last comment was supposed to mean, but I do not work for any of the utilities in Ohio, so I don't have a horse in the race. Nor did I vote for Obama. But ignorance rubs me the wrong way, and your posts reek of it.

AEP Retail had shitty rates and was a substandard supplier to work with, which is exactly why AEP Ohio went out and bought BlueStar to show them how a retail energy desk is run. Ask Courtney Mehan how badass it was to work for them, when after being there for a year she bailed to go back to Natural Gas.

We do agree on something, PUCO doesn't know what the hell it's doing. The new ruling was so well done that it surprised the shit out of me. I feel like someone must have come back in time and said, "Hey, do it like this".

Electricity isn't a right and you don't have to use it. Find a company you like and ask them to put up some transmission lines to your house, maintain these transmission lines, and supply you with power as cheap as AEP does. If you dont have a locked in rate with AEP retail who's fault is that? A simple phone call can change that and save you a bunch of money.

BTW: Ohio is going DE-regulated very soon so you can say goodbye to PUCO.

Thanks for the laugh.

Chief, Ohio has been "DE-regulated" for something like 10 years. It just never made sense for anyone to shop because power was more expensive on the market than it was via utility tariff.

That capacity rate is set at an auction. Everyone else on the PJM network pays the same rate. So, FE, Duke, and DP&L all charge the same for their capacity as did AEP, until AEP said, "Hey, I want a bigger piece". I am not arguing that a company should not be paid a fair value for the services it provides, but the value was fair before AEP asked for the bump. For the record, you are aware that the PJM auction rate is $16 per mW/day right now, and AEP initially asked to make $355 per mW/day? I'm not super great with percentages, but you don't have to be to know that's ridiculous. In the know, as a trader, you should get that that move was designed to do one thing and one thing only, limit shopping. Also, capacity charges have nothing to do with the cost to generate power, just to transport it, so your point that the "Clean Air" bills are forcing them down this road is rendered moot.

Not sure what that last comment was supposed to mean, but I do not work for any of the utilities in Ohio, so I don't have a horse in the race. Nor did I vote for Obama. But ignorance rubs me the wrong way, and your posts reek of it.

AEP Retail had shitty rates and was a substandard supplier to work with, which is exactly why AEP Ohio went out and bought BlueStar to show them how a retail energy desk is run. Ask Courtney Mehan how badass it was to work for them, when after being there for a year she bailed to go back to Natural Gas.

We do agree on something, PUCO doesn't know what the hell it's doing. The new ruling was so well done that it surprised the shit out of me. I feel like someone must have come back in time and said, "Hey, do it like this".

Not sure how my posts reek of it considering the fact that I take part in the rate auctions and trade power in PJM, MISO, and SPP throughout the US. I think I have a better understanding of the rate system than you think sir. $16.00 a day? which auction are you talking about? If its the FTR auction that has nothing to with generation and transmission and is about congestion. Here's the LMP contour map from PJM (https://edata.pjm.com/eContour/#) as you can see the RT prices aren't $16.00 and DA has been around $40+. As far as for AEP retail they were offering $0.0669 which was the same rate FE was offering with their locked in rate and that is below the cost of generation. As for capacity shopping sure you should be able to, as you can now, but AEP should be allowed to up-charge for using its lines and what they choose to charge is what they choose isn't that what being a free market is about? With that beings said we will have to agree to disagree this argument could go on for ages.