Help me decide on a DSLR

I'm in the market for an "entry" DSLR for hobby/vacation/event shooting and have narrowed it to a few options:

-New Nikon D3100 $499+tax w/ 8GB card at Best Buy (online only w/ card)

-New Canon T2i $599+tax w/ 8GB card at Best Buy (online only)

-Used Nikon D40(40X, 60, etc.) <$300

http://www.dpreview.com/products/nikon/slrs/nikon_d3100

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/slrs/canon_eos550d

Either of the new cameras come with a 18-55mm lens and I plan on picking up a F1.8 50mm lens as well, regardless of what camera I choose (school me on lenses Nikon vs Canon too).

Obviously the specs on the Canon are better but is it worth the extra $100? I liked how the Canon felt in my hands - and it has buttons well placed for ISO/aperture/shutter speed whereas the Nikon you have to go through the menu to set ISO. How important is it to have ISO adjustment handy? I'm also finding out that the T2i is being phased out and inventory is clearing quickly with prices ranging from to $599 online to $699 in stores. What are people's thoughts on buying used of either brand/camera, since this is my first DSLR?

Edit: Took D90 out of the equation being that it is full frame.

Edited by SilverAudiMike

I have a D90 and really enjoy it, but you would need to get a used one to keep the price down.

What you want depends on how much control you want over your camera's functions. Most people don't know what f stop, shutter speed or ISO even is. Since you know those terms, how much control do you want and how easily do you want that control. Most cameras you can change all that stuff, but since you need to navigate menus I find it a hassle and don't change setting on PIS camers.

I will tell you that at first I used my D90 on aperture mode, I would set that and let the camera figure the rest. After using it for a while, I now tend to do more shooting in full manual. I like to be able to change the settings to what I want. I like that the controls are laid out well and easy to navigate without going to the menu for everything.

Are you ok only changing one thing or do you want "hot buttons" on the camera for faster access?

Do you want full control that is easy to do on the fly?

What are the prices of lenses? I think (have never looked) that Nikon lenses cost more then Cannon. Something to consider for the future.

Hold them, play with them. Which seems to feel the best? Which one allows you to change functions easily?

Research how they process photos. I think Cannons tend to be cooler and Nikons warmer with respect to jpeg pics.

I like my Nikon D3000.. It has been a great learning tool.

Buying used cameras makes me nervous. Too many things can be wrong with it I guess, and you technically wouldnt know if your new to them.

If the canon feels better in your hands, go for it.

Best person to get advice from is Tim. He has helped me a TON with learning my camera.

Honestly, to go into the menu to change the ISO is not that much of a hassle.

I like my Nikon D3000.. It has been a great learning tool.

Buying used cameras makes me nervous. Too many things can be wrong with it I guess, and you technically wouldnt know if your new to them.

If the canon feels better in your hands, go for it.

Best person to get advice from is Tim. He has helped me a TON with learning my camera.

Honestly, to go into the menu to change the ISO is not that much of a hassle.

I havent bought a new camera in a VERY long time.

Get Shutter counts, and insure everything on your homeowners and dont worry about it. :)

Do yourself a favor and go to midwest photo and hold EACH of the cameras. TALK to them. Ask questions. Then come home and make a decision. One will stick out to you, its just like anything else. you will know it when you try it. THey will do a great job of helping you figure out whats best for your budget and if you need a kit lens or some other lens.

Check out KEH.com for used cameras, and B and H as well for used. Amazon usually has some good deals as well. FYI, best buy is going to rape you cost wise.

I have a D90 and really enjoy it, but you would need to get a used one to keep the price down.

What you want depends on how much control you want over your camera's functions. Most people don't know what f stop, shutter speed or ISO even is. Since you know those terms, how much control do you want and how easily do you want that control. Most cameras you can change all that stuff, but since you need to navigate menus I find it a hassle and don't change setting on PIS camers.

I will tell you that at first I used my D90 on aperture mode, I would set that and let the camera figure the rest. After using it for a while, I now tend to do more shooting in full manual. I like to be able to change the settings to what I want. I like that the controls are laid out well and easy to navigate without going to the menu for everything.

Are you ok only changing one thing or do you want "hot buttons" on the camera for faster access?

Do you want full control that is easy to do on the fly?

What are the prices of lenses? I think (have never looked) that Nikon lenses cost more then Cannon. Something to consider for the future.

Hold them, play with them. Which seems to feel the best? Which one allows you to change functions easily?

Research how they process photos. I think Cannons tend to be cooler and Nikons warmer with respect to jpeg pics.

The two things I'm struggling with are 1: cost vs performance 2: The T2i being phased out.

No doubt I like the Canon better - but is the Nikon good enough at that price point? Retail vs retail we are talking $649 for the Nikon vs $699 for the Canon - meaning they were priced to compete with each other when they were released. Right now the T3i is priced at $799 and there is a huge gap between the D3100 and the T3i in price and performance, making we wonder if the T3i price is about to drop due to the recent release of the T4i (and apparent discontinuation of the T2i).

Lenses are for sure cheaper for the Canon $119 vs $219 for the Nikon AF-S.

The D90 is a phenomonal camera I have shot a few weddings with it, soley. It is now currently my second body to my D700. That being said. Your bodies you will always upgrade.. Lens though, will really be what makes the camera go.

Consumer grade bodies are replaced every single year. A lens however will last you through many bodies.

Look over the links that i posted and go hold the cameras like i suggested.

The canon 18-55 kit lens is a piece of crap compared to the 18-55 of the nikon.

Dont compare lens costs between the two because you will just overwhelm yourself.

The 50mm 1.8 (nifty fifty) for both cameras is ~100 bucks and is an awesome lens that everyeone should own, IMHO.

I havent bought a new camera in a VERY long time.

Get Shutter counts, and insure everything on your homeowners and dont worry about it. :)

Do yourself a favor and go to midwest photo and hold EACH of the cameras. TALK to them. Ask questions. Then come home and make a decision. One will stick out to you, its just like anything else. you will know it when you try it. THey will do a great job of helping you figure out whats best for your budget and if you need a kit lens or some other lens.

Check out KEH.com for used cameras, and B and H as well for used. Amazon usually has some good deals as well. FYI, best buy is going to rape you cost wise.

Thanks for the advice - I checked at Midwest before I got serious with the search and the D3100 and the T2i are what they recommended. They priced way out of the ball park compared to online retailers and Best Buy, however. I've found that Best Buy actually has the best prices if you order online. I will definitely go to Midwest and hold both of them before I make my final decision. I'm a little nervous buying used but I assume the good camera shops, i.e. BH will only sell good quality used gear. I'll consider that too if I find what I want at around half of what retail is.

Still have my like-new D60. Nikon D60 body, 18-55 VR lens, Hoya UV filter, 4GB class 6 SDHC card retail box and manuals,and the bundled software. Only ~3700 shutter clicks.

Don't have to sell now, but will for $300. I'm waiting on a D5200 or D7100. Price is more than fair.

Edit: regarding Nikon vs Canon, both make great cameras and are competitive. I personally went Nikon because a good friend of mine has several Nikon lenses he offered to let me use. Do you have any friends that have lenses they'd share?

Thanks for the advice - I checked at Midwest before I got serious with the search and the D3100 and the T2i are what they recommended. They priced way out of the ball park compared to online retailers and Best Buy, however. I've found that Best Buy actually has the best prices if you order online. I will definitely go to Midwest and hold both of them before I make my final decision. I'm a little nervous buying used but I assume the good camera shops, i.e. BH will only sell good quality used gear. I'll consider that too if I find what I want at around half of what retail is.

They will come down if you tell them the online prices, but you will still pay more. Support a local shop, and pay $50 more. Their support is incredible.

My dad buys soley from them for large purchases.

S

Edit: regarding Nikon vs Canon, both make great cameras and are competitive. I personally went Nikon because a good friend of mine has several Nikon lenses he offered to let me use. Do you have any friends that have lenses they'd share?

This is a valid point as well. I actually grew up on Canon. I only switched to Nikon because my photography partner is a nikong person with better gear than i own/did own at the time. I thought it would be prudent to switch because she could/would share gear with me when we did weddigns together.

Still have my like-new D60. Nikon D60 body, 18-55 VR lens, Hoya UV filter, 4GB class 6 SDHC card retail box and manuals,and the bundled software. Only ~3700 shutter clicks.

Don't have to sell now, but will for $300. I'm waiting on a D5200 or D7100. Price is more than fair.

I wasn't sure if this was still an option - If you are willing to sell I'll let you know by this weekend.

This is a valid point as well. I actually grew up on Canon. I only switched to Nikon because my photography partner is a nikong person with better gear than i own/did own at the time. I thought it would be prudent to switch because she could/would share gear with me when we did weddigns together.

I don't know anyone that has any lenses for either. I'll have to take in to consideration that the lenses for Canon are cheaper but the kit lens for the Nikon is better quality. I don't think it's an option for me to buy a body only + a 50mm lens due to the kit prices being competitive.

Edited by SilverAudiMike

Okay, I have the reception and can chime in on the subject. The Canon Nikon comparison is like splitting hairs between Chevy and Ford. The following is my opinion and while I have owned and shot with both Brands, what's relevant to your purchase is that Nikon will typically offer lower price points on the body but the features are more limited down low. Canon will cost more but offer a bit more. I chose Canon for the main consideration on DSLR's and that's lens selection. Nikon is getting better and while both offer decent quality kit lenses, Canon still has a much better selection down the road, thus once you're on board with their product and expand, you'll have more choices in terms of good glass.

I'm not up on all the details regarding specific models but the initial insight I have and yet I'm a bit biased. If you're keeping to a lower budget, I'd highly recommend the Canon T3 or t3i. I'll let you line them up on dpreview.com in their side by side comparison for details on each.

If it's your first camera, spend a bit more and get the 18-200 lens. It's a decent lens with all around use from wide angle to moderate distance zoom and an all in one package that's very easy to use and carry around. I've shot with it as my brother in law has one and it works well. Many of the kit lenses will range in the 18-55 then 55-250 range and you'll find yourself switching lenses often if you're just a casual shooter. Both are decent again, for kit lenses, but the 18-200 has IS, is in the same category speed wise and optically speaking too.

There, I'm a bit biased but FWIW, you have my thoughts. Don't be afraid of used gear but given you're not buying a $3k camera, just go new. Unless you find a decent 50D or 7D for a good price but then both might be more than what you want to spend now.

PM me or hit my cell with any questions.

90% of my gear was used when I bought it and it works flawlessly, but this is all L series lenses and pro bodies so I didn't expect anything less.

Changing ISO on the fly is paramount to event shooting, not so important with other subjects though.

Okay, I have the reception and can chime in on the subject. The Canon Nikon comparison is like splitting hairs between Chevy and Ford. The following is my opinion and while I have owned and shot with both Brands, what's relevant to your purchase is that Nikon will typically offer lower price points on the body but the features are more limited down low. Canon will cost more but offer a bit more. I chose Canon for the main consideration on DSLR's and that's lens selection. Nikon is getting better and while both offer decent quality kit lenses, Canon still has a much better selection down the road, thus once you're on board with their product and expand, you'll have more choices in terms of good glass.

I'm not up on all the details regarding specific models but the initial insight I have and yet I'm a bit biased. If you're keeping to a lower budget, I'd highly recommend the Canon T3 or t3i. I'll let you line them up on dpreview.com in their side by side comparison for details on each.

If it's your first camera, spend a bit more and get the 18-200 lens. It's a decent lens with all around use from wide angle to moderate distance zoom and an all in one package that's very easy to use and carry around. I've shot with it as my brother in law has one and it works well. Many of the kit lenses will range in the 18-55 then 55-250 range and you'll find yourself switching lenses often if you're just a casual shooter. Both are decent again, for kit lenses, but the 18-200 has IS, is in the same category speed wise and optically speaking too.

There, I'm a bit biased but FWIW, you have my thoughts. Don't be afraid of used gear but given you're not buying a $3k camera, just go new. Unless you find a decent 50D or 7D for a good price but then both might be more than what you want to spend now.

PM me or hit my cell with any questions.

Thanks Tim. From what I gather I wont go wrong either way - the biggest considerations seem to be the upfront body costs vs minor varying functions and lens cost down the road. I'm going to make my decision this weekend.

http://larsbrownworth.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Cannon.jpg

?????

Please elaborate on your experience with Canon cameras.

I ran a photography business for several years and all my equipment was Cannon. I agree with what others have said on here about the Cannon vs Nikkon being like a Ford vs Chevy comparison. I personally think that Cannons are a better choice for action and sports photography. I think the Nikkon shines in the studio and has great sharpness. I feel that the Cannon glass is superior to the Nikkon glass which makes my decision much easier. I dont have anything bad to say about Nikkon and I think that both cameras shine. I personally prefer Cannon over Nikkon though. I can also tell you that I was blowing my competitors out of the water, who were shooting with Nikkons.

Thanks Tim. From what I gather I wont go wrong either way - the biggest considerations seem to be the upfront body costs vs minor varying functions and lens cost down the road. I'm going to make my decision this weekend.

don't skimp on the up front costs nor stress too much about the body. bodies come and go and honestly, todays cameras produce IQ that will last you years. buy features, ergonomics and lenses both today and down the road. think "system" vs body.

don't skimp on the up front costs nor stress too much about the body. bodies come and go and honestly, todays cameras produce IQ that will last you years. buy features, ergonomics and lenses both today and down the road. think "system" vs body.

Any input on JaSSon's used D60 above vs. a new one in my situation?

I worked at and sold cameras for 6 years. I've shot cannons for about 15 years back to when you actually had to meter on your own. The base lens usually sucks so plan on upgrading to a better one soon. Last I knew the 18-55 still had a plastic rear mount which isn't very strong. I use an 18-70mm and it's great for kids and car shows. Also don't buy more than you need. Bells and whistles are cool but if they are confusing and the pics don't come out well, they are not worth it.

There is a company out of NY called B&H. I used to order from them all the time. They also can make different packages if you want a different lens. Good luck.