Help me decide on a DSLR

So I went with a Nikon D3100 from Midwest. I like the idea of buying from a smaller shop vs Best Buy. They were out of stock on the T2i and confirmed that it was discontinued, hence the reason they are so hard to find. I figure I'll mess around with the kit lens for a bit and pick up a 50mm in a couple months.

So I went with a Nikon D3100 from Midwest. I like the idea of buying from a smaller shop vs Best Buy. They were out of stock on the T2i and confirmed that it was discontinued, hence the reason they are so hard to find. I figure I'll mess around with the kit lens for a bit and pick up a 50mm in a couple months.

You'll love it.

I'd pick up a 35mm prime first and go with that if I was you. 50mm on a crop sensor sometimes is too much zoom.

Play with the focal ranges on the kit lens and you'll see.

The D3100 is no joke, IMO all it takes is a good noggin.

My D3100 w/35mm Prime

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7191/6945441365_6db73a23d9_b.jpg

Rear End by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7002/6614084239_9b04a18446_b.jpg

Reflections v.2 by M0nk3yy31, on Flickr

the 35mm F1.8 lens is cheap and a worth while. I still shoot the D3100 with my kit lenses as well as a 10-20mm zoom

I have this lens with my D5000 and love it! Great for low light indoor party shots.

This was shot with the 35mm lens, indoor at a bar, I am fairly sure that this shot has minimal editing and was shot on basic settings, mostly to show how good this lens is in low light situations. It's also fairly low res due to taking it off my fb page.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/reitzmj/39692_1159803293091_7321057_n.jpg

Also low res and very little editing, but a low light shot to show the amazing bokeh of this lens.

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd58/reitzmj/38554_1159797852955_5776560_n.jpg

50mm on the 3100 is a decent portrait lens and outdoor walk around. Inside it's a bit long. Get a good 24-28mm, not sure what Nikon offers or a 35mm. I like 35mm as it gets you to the traditional effective 50mm focal length and is good for indoor shots where you don't want to lug larger glass. A good external flash will come down the road. Remember, photography is painting with light.

Before you guys keep pushing the 35mm there are somethings to think about for the Nikon.

The 35mm is a 50mm on Crop Sensor,essentially, but it will always be a DX lens (DX in Nikon is Crop Sensor, FX is Full Frame lens). While it WILL WORK on a full frame, it will show significant vignetting and it will also force the camera to lower its MP down to 5mp. (my D700 is 18mp normally, and the D800 the newer version is a whopping 36mp, iirc) If he were to ever decide to upgrade to a full frame camera, that lens becomes useless. Yes he could sell it, but thats just a PIA to add to the things to do when making the switch to a full frame camera. ALL nikon 50 1.8s however work as intended, on both DX and FX cameras. The 50mm is a great prime, and will grow with him, and is much cheaper than the 35mm 1.8

(Sidebar: If you nikon, Wiki on Nikons stupid acronym system, read up on it, its useful :) Points out all the different types of lens that Nikon makes and what type they are as well)

Before you guys keep pushing the 35mm there are somethings to think about for the Nikon.

The 35mm is a 50mm on Crop Sensor,essentially, but it will always be a DX lens (DX in Nikon is Crop Sensor, FX is Full Frame lens). While it WILL WORK on a full frame, it will show significant vignetting and it will also force the camera to lower its MP down to 5mp. (my D700 is 18mp normally, and the D800 the newer version is a whopping 36mp, iirc) If he were to ever decide to upgrade to a full frame camera, that lens becomes useless. Yes he could sell it, but thats just a PIA to add to the things to do when making the switch to a full frame camera. ALL nikon 50 1.8s however work as intended, on both DX and FX cameras. The 50mm is a great prime, and will grow with him, and is much cheaper than the 35mm 1.8

(Sidebar: If you nikon, Wiki on Nikons stupid acronym system, read up on it, its useful :) Points out all the different types of lens that Nikon makes and what type they are as well)

All in good fun but true... ^^^ the above goes to add where Nikon's weeknesses are at in terms of lens options. To have a 35mm prime that is only a DX lens is crazy. I'm sure there has to be a 35mm prime that works on both without issue? I met someone with an D800 here too and to know that it can only shoot at 36mp in RAW is crazy too. Canon offers a smaller version of RAW that allows me to shoot my 5DMKII and even the new III at 10mp size.

Also, what are the best sites for image hosting? Found out last night that the SD slot on my laptop does not work and will need to upload to out Macbook pro, upload to hosting site and then download on my laptop for images I want to edit/post/share. Edited by SilverAudiMike

DPreview.com is a good website. Also, you have a few local pros posting right here. Maybe meet up with one of them a C&C for hands-on pointers?

Tell me about Midwest. How was the D3100 pricing? How was their used inventory? It really makes no sense for me to move from a D60 to a D3100, but a D5100 or D7000 would be a fair upgrade. I wish Nikon would hurry up and release their updated line already.

Nikon just did all thier releases back in February.

Here in Columbus we are spoiled with camera stores. Midwest, cord(blah) world of used photography, Columbus camera group.

Nikon has a 35mm 1.4 prime .. It's like 3-400$

I never had any issues with the 50 as my main lens, when I used canon or Nikon.

Photography on the net,

New school of photography

Strobists . Com

I have a ton for links for you, and will post them in a bit when not on my phone.

The best thing to do to learn though... Turn off auto/preset modes and go to P, and move on through the manual modes as you get more comfortable.

Shoot everyday. (try a 365day project)

I use flickr for uploading, but photobucket works too though I think they compress images weird.

Nikon just did all thier releases back in February.

The D5100 came out in April 2011, and the D7000 is even older, having come out in late 2010. The D3200, D800, and D4 are all new for this year. Those still leave a vacuum in Nikon's line up.

DPreview.com is a good website. Also, you have a few local pros posting right here. Maybe meet up with one of them a C&C for hands-on pointers?

Tell me about Midwest. How was the D3100 pricing? How was their used inventory? It really makes no sense for me to move from a D60 to a D3100, but a D5100 or D7000 would be a fair upgrade. I wish Nikon would hurry up and release their updated line already.

My experience with Midwest is limited thus far. I basically went in there to have them help me make my final decision only to find out the Canon was out of stock. Based on my short conversation I will say they are 100x more knowledgeable than the people I talked with at Best Buy. I suspect that their support and customer service will shine when I need any help.

My experience with Midwest is limited thus far. I basically went in there to have them help me make my final decision only to find out the Canon was out of stock. Based on my short conversation I will say they are 100x more knowledgeable than the people I talked with at Best Buy. I suspect that their support and customer service will shine when I need any help.

most of the employees who work there do photography as thier second job, and have been there for YEARS.. In fact, iirc, they have only hired a few people in the last few years and they were part time filler people. (i almost was on, but didnt want to give up my weekends)

This is a great tutorial for future use.

http://lumitouch.com/benstudiotutorial/rules.html

I love Midwest. I purchased all my studio stuff from them. They are very knowledgable and you get a much more personal experience.

For $200 i'm not too bent out of shape on the 35mm prime not being 100% with the FX body.

I see them for sale used for $170.

If your butt hurts over a $200 lens, probably not the best hobby for you. lol.

For $200 i'm not too bent out of shape on the 35mm prime not being 100% with the FX body.

I see them for sale used for $170.

If your butt hurts over a $200 lens, probably not the best hobby for you. lol.

True, but he was already working on a slim budget so a $100 seems more appropriate right now. ;)