Launch Ramp Question:

iwishiwascool

Has anyone ever had to pay to launch your boat/PWC?

Where were you and what was your reaction?

Ummmm never, and if they did ide tell them blow me .

There is a smaller lake/river in a town about a hour north of chicago where my family lives they have to pay to launch at this resurant launch not sure if everywhere charges but f that.

Alligator II at Lake Cumberland requested a $5 donation per day if you were camping and left your truck/trailor on the beach parking lot. I was there for 3 nights and gave them $20. It wasn't a big deal but a lot of people didn't pay.

-Marc

East Harbor Marina charges $7 daily for ramp passes...

That's why you go to Mazurik or Catawba State Park.

My father is a yard spotter backing semi trailers all day. Hes considered sitting at the marina with a sign "ill back your boat for 5$". Not sure if he ever went through with it.

That's why you go to Mazurik or Catawba State Park.

My father is a yard spotter backing semi trailers all day. Hes considered sitting at the marina with a sign "ill back your boat for 5$". Not sure if he ever went through with it.

LOL. I'm sure he would make a killing. There are a ton of people that need his services!

-Marc

It seems like the areas around major metropolitan areas see launch charges most often.

I'm down on the Gulf Coast and it is frequent in Alabama at private marinas and non-existent in FL as the state taxes Marine Gas, tackle and the like to cover the ramps.

One of the companies that I represent automates the attendant with a Kiosk and gate. I figured boaters generally did/do not expect to pay to launch and would be resistant to such a change.

How would you react if all launch areas to Buckeye Lake, Alum and/or Hoover all began charging $20 a launch?

It seems like the areas around major metropolitan areas see launch charges most often.

I'm down on the Gulf Coast and it is frequent in Alabama at private marinas and non-existent in FL as the state taxes Marine Gas, tackle and the like to cover the ramps.

One of the companies that I represent automates the attendant with a Kiosk and gate. I figured boaters generally did/do not expect to pay to launch and would be resistant to such a change.

How would you react if all launch areas to Buckeye Lake, Alum and/or Hoover all began charging $20 a launch?

I'd be pissed and would probably look for alternate options. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the ramps maintenance covered by our taxes already? These are not private lakes and should not be treated as such.

If they were going to start charging per launch I would expect to be able to purchase a season pass or something at a highly discounted rate. Call it $100 for the season and you have unlimited access.

If they imposed such a fee, they would really have us by the balls. I truly love boating and everything that goes along with it. I would not sell my boat/gear due to this additional fee but I would be upset.

Is your company only implementing such a fee at private lakes or are they trending towards doing this at all lakes in your area? Again, if it is a public lake that is funded by taxes, how are they getting away with it? What is the general public reaction?

-Marc

I'd be pissed and would probably look for alternate options. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't the ramps maintenance covered by our taxes already? These are not private lakes and should not be treated as such.

If they were going to start charging per launch I would expect to be able to purchase a season pass or something at a highly discounted rate. Call it $100 for the season and you have unlimited access.

If they imposed such a fee, they would really have us by the balls. I truly love boating and everything that goes along with it. I would not sell my boat/gear due to this additional fee but I would be upset.

Is your company only implementing such a fee at private lakes or are they trending towards doing this at all lakes in your area? Again, if it is a public lake that is funded by taxes, how are they getting away with it? What is the general public reaction?

-Marc

I only work with private marinas in Chicago at this point. My target is replacing existing attendant "huts" with automated solutions. These marinas were incurring 90k /yr annual in employee salaries and expenses and people were sneaking in before they opened or after they closed to launch for free.

I don't really have any intention to get Ohio charging for access to little lakes but if I did, here would be my approach:

Generally, the Republicans that control states like WI, FL, and OH do not believe that John Q Public should pay taxes for your boating hobby. They believe in a "user pays - user benefits" approach to public works. FL uses specific taxes to recapture costs associated with launch ramp maintenance; to the best of my knowledge, Ohio does not. Charging for boat launching puts the costs associated with public marine use back on those who benefit. Annual "permits" would be available for X amount of dollars and operate via an RFID system. A security camera could snap a picture of your registration number and some states might require boaters to enter the number of people on board to aid in rescue operations. Costs are recaptured while increasing safety and security.

$5/launch at Grider Hill Lake Cumberland, but everytime we go we stay for 7-10days and just leave the truck/trailer parked and boat stays in the water so $5 for all that is no biggie.

I'd be PISSED if it was $20/launch a buckeye/alum, that shit cray.

• 2 weeks later...

i bought my boat in ky and the lake charged, also bought dad's boat in alabama and they wouldve charged but we bout the boat from a repair shop that had waterfront access.. but i normally go out 1/2 times a week..

20 would fuck me hard, there weeks i debate on going or not depending on what my gas gauge says. and thats white collar america wife and 2 kids home income of 75-100k based opinion.