subaru, honda questions

ls1plus

I am looking into getting a new daily driver with good gas mileage. I have a toyota truck and dont care for the price of parts every time something breaks. Want a gm truck but have an 80 mile one way commute to work. Looking at subarus due to awd and fuel mileage. Are they reliable and how much are parts compared to other vehicles?

If i get a honda, it would be a civic for mileage. How much are factory replacement parts compared to others? I had a 2000 accord awhile back and it shit alternators. Is this a common honda problem?

thanks

You can find older Legacy's for a few grand. My gf has one and it's not terrible to work on. The only problem with them is everybody else has used them as winter cars over the past decade(s) and you can bet they've got some rust and rattles. Also if you want a cheap awd beater you'll have to take into consideration you can't just change one tire if it gets fucked up as all 4 will likely need swapped at a time.. and an awd-anything will likely get sub-par fuel mileage.

Find a Civic with a good body and you'll be fine. Parts are everywhere for them, and super cheap.

Edited by Not Brian

If I were looking at cars for fuel economy I would NOT be looking at Subaru's. Of the 4 cylinder cars they commonly get the WORST fuel economy.

If you are looking in the early 2000's expect to see maybe around 20-25 in the city, I see about 18 in my DOHC Legacy GT. Erica's Automatic '06 Legacy saw 26 MPG on a mix of freeway/country driving and that was not driving it hard.

That was determined from a personal calculation, NOT the on board computer.

I heart my honda, yep slow as crap but great gas mileage and they are cheap to repair and easy to repair with a 10mm and 12 mm lol

This. I have daily driven my Si for six years now. It's a blast to drive and is easily my favorite DD ever. I know that if I turn the key, it will start. It's slow, but the handling is amazing. I KINDA want a newer car, but I just can't justify getting rid of the Si. Also, it's fucking retarded easy to work on.

What the deuce is so expensive to replace on a (assuming from your info) T100!? Maybe the oil and water pumps... but that's only once.

A Honda, however will beat out anything.... when there is a billion out there parts come cheap!

the coil control was $500. (350) at napa with my discount, lost a couple bearings in rearend, i was just going to get a junkyard rearend to get the truck up and going again quickly and they started at $600 which is assnine because you can get gm truck ones for $275-$325 all day long.

it has been a good truck, but has 236k on it and some things are starting to

wear out

from what ive found the 5 spds are harder to find and are more money, does the 5 spd help get the car up to speed and is it better for pulling hills?

You mean 6spds? aka manual? coupes will be around way, way more than sedans. I had an 03 5spd auto.