What home coffe brewer?

Radio Flyer1647545514

You must have had some shitty pressed coffee.

If can't see with your own eyes, the difference between pressed coffee & something that gets passed through a paper filter, you might need help.

Grind the same beans, at a grind appropriate for each device.

Make 2 cups, the french press not only has a bit of crema on top, but a lot of the oils that would otherwise get trapped in the shitty paper filter are present on the first taste...

I know what you mean, but for most people coffee is about snapping you out of the bleary-eyed stupor before work. When I drink then, it all tastes the same.

If, though, I'm well awake and enjoying a cuppa, then I see your point.

It's like whiskey; sip it for the purpose of savoring a wonderful whiskey, and you'll have different tasting experience than if you're slamming shots with the purpose of getting drunk.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I drink then, it all tastes the same.

Fair enough. Plenty of people are like that about wine but I don't think you'd tell someone who appreciates wine that they are either lying or should be a professional taste tester when they know the difference between 2 different ones.

I ordered an aeorpress, and I'll end up ordering a french press as well. They're cheap and seem easy enough to use. If I get sick of them I'll get a machine.

Can you tell me what a good quality burr grinder is then?

I've seen the kitchen aids and all of those, but all I know is look for one that costs 200 dollars or more. So what brands? What features?

Thanks for the help in here. Very informative.

Depends if you think you will ever get an espresso machine down the line or not because you can avoid having to buy another grinder for that.

I have a Gaggia MDF at home and I hate the doser. I have been looking at replacing it with the Baratza Virtuoso, Mazzer Mini, or Rancilio Rocky.

If you don't think you'll ever get into espresso territory I think the Baratza Encore is a very good value. I have a Cuisinart Supreme and it makes a goddamn mess but it's not bad for keeping at work and I use it to make press pot and pour over.

If you want to geek out you can read some of the different methods of using the press pot and aeropress here: http://brewmethods.com/

Also, buy a thermometer. Controlling the water temp is key for making a good aeropress cup.

I did a lot of research before buying, in hopes that this coffee grinder can be my last. I bought the Baratza Virtuoso Preciso and have been very pleased. Some reviewers feel it doesn't hold up to regular espresso grinding, but I don't grind that fine.

http://www.amazon.com/Baratza-Virtuoso-Preciso-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B003JFCRN6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348790717&sr=8-1&keywords=baratza+virtuoso+preciso

• 2 months later...

So I ended up getting the Baratza Preciso and an Aeropress. So far I've made two cups and both were great but it seemed like I didn't get all of the flavor out of the bean that I could have. I'll have to do some more brewing and testing with the fineness of the bean and temperature of the water. I've used 14g of bean and 17g of bean my first two brews.

I think I need to be more patient and let it steep more to get the flavor out of it.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions?

I think it depends what flavor you are going for. I usually don't steep my aeropress too long. Are you using the 'inverted method'?

there are several different techniques listed on http://brewmethods.com/ and if you google around you can find methods used at the world aeropress brewing championship which is a thing apparently.

I'm happy that you went with the Preciso--I don't think you can beat it for the price.

If I understand correctly, the Aeropress's claimed advantage is that it minimizes extraction time to avoid bitterness. Based on that, I would recommend going to a finer grind setting with the Preciso or a slightly higher water temp before going to a longer extraction time.

What water are you using? If you're using filtered water which has a lot of the minerals of tap water removed, then try just a small pinch of table salt in the grounds. This will aid extraction if your water is de-mineralized.

I also throw a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cloves into a brew basket, but that's just my personal taste. If you do this, be careful to keep the amounts tiny so as not to disrupt the balance of the coffee's flavor. I think those two spices help bring out the taste of India Monsooned Malabar coffee, which I prefer and which is not nearly as expensive as the "gourmet" coffees.

I did use the inverted method for my first two brews. I'll have to look at that link to find the different methods you can use.

Thanks for the tips. I do think I need to get my water temps up higher. I'm just using water from my Brita Filter Pitcher and bringing it to a boil.

I bought my coffee at Stauf's for 25 years and still believe they work hard at getting the best coffee and do the best job roasting the beans. However, the prices crept up over the years and it wasn't convenient for me to make the drive every week or so.

My local grocery (Buehler's) carries Monsooned Malabar in the whole bean. The supplier is Scenic River. I believe it's $7/lb vs. $19/lb at Stauf's (and it's often out of stock at Stauf's).

Where do you guys get your beans from?

I found a place down the road from me, One Line Coffee and I plan on going there to purchase some bean from them.

One line is great, they have the background info of the bean sources on the bags and they actually build relationships with the farmers in the areas they source from. I usually go to imperio which is a little bit north on high because they usually have beans that have been roasted more recently. I usually buy 1/2 Lbs at a time and it is usually roasted less than a week before I use them.

in columbus greater the local roasters that I know of are:

Stauffs and Lucky brothers in GV.

Impero and One line coffee in the SN.

Mission Coffee company in SN has a roaster they work with based out of Cinci.

Cafe Brioso Downtown

Backroom coffee roasters in UA.

Upper Cup in OTE

Also I have this thermometer for seeing what temp my water is. I typically bring to a boil and let it fall to around 180-190F http://amzn.to/VksWOT

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard of Bario? I hear they roast in house and it's supposedly great stuff.

I've been using the inverted method for americano, pouring to level 2 to and stirring 10 seconds, letting steep for about 25 seconds then filling to just above 4, stirring for 5 seconds and letting steep for another 30-40 seconds. I end it with a 30 second press.

I've been playing with water levels and water temperatures. I feel like I can change the flavor of my coffee each morning if I want to, which I like and I've been making some real good cups.

I'm using an espresso grind. I have my Preciso on 11 on the macro and B on the micro setting.

• 1 month later...

I went to One Line the other day which is a shop on N. High, good coffee and they do latte art or whatever. The people working the place were to hipster for me to return other than to buy bean. They do have some good bean in their store.

I got a chance to try some Kopi Luwak this week as well. Some of you may know about it. I liked it quite a bit.

Does anyone have any experience using a Chemex maker? I've been thinking about getting one to try and switch it up from using the aerorpress from time to time.

My female roommate had one of these when she lived with me. Shit tasted like plastic. I dont know if it was residual taste from the plastic cups the coffee comes in, or what. BARF.

That is all.

My Keurig coffee tasted like plastic for about a week after buying it new but that went away. The only thing I don't like about it now is that I can't easily fill up a thermos without swapping through 2-3 k-cups.. or if I drink half a mug and it gets cold, I can't just go top it off.. gotta remake a whole mug's worth, and the k-cups aren't cheap.

My wife loves her Chemex coffee maker with a Kone stainless filter.

I want to get one of these real bad. I'm assuming it's supposed to work and taste close to a drip machine. Is this correct?

First home roast from green beans in an airpopper:

http://i.imgur.com/llmFzl.jpg

I need to start home roasting. It's something I want to get into down the road. How did that first batch turn out? Have you gotten better at roasting from when you first did that picture or was there not much learning curve to it?

To be honest I have no idea. I don't drink coffee so its all her. She said its one of the best coffee she has had however but that's not saying much as she hasn't had any of docs coffee or anyone else's.

I went to One Line the other day which is a shop on N. High, good coffee and they do latte art or whatever. The people working the place were to hipster for me to return other than to buy bean. They do have some good bean in their store.

I got a chance to try some Kopi Luwak this week as well. Some of you may know about it. I liked it quite a bit.

Does anyone have any experience using a Chemex maker? I've been thinking about getting one to try and switch it up from using the aerorpress from time to time.

Couple years ago, I got a lb of unroasted Kopi as a gift.

Even a non-coffee person can taste the difference. Such low acid, it was a pleasure to drink, was very sad when it ran out. :(

I need to start home roasting. It's something I want to get into down the road. How did that first batch turn out? Have you gotten better at roasting from when you first did that picture or was there not much learning curve to it?

first batch was good. I've played with my popper a bit and I've improved on my consistency. The popper method doesn't let you change the roast profile without modifiying it to be able to adjust the heating element. I'm debating weather to buy a behmor 1600 or to buy the stuff to modify the popper.

Very easy to do. Bought beans from sweet marias and followed their guide here: http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php