What home coffe brewer?

Radio Flyer1647545514

I'm looking at getting a coffee machine and am looking for some people inputs that have tried a few different kinds.

I'm looking at Technivorm, Lance Larkin, Bunn and Bonavita right now.

I've read good reviews on the Technivorm moccamaster for a home brewer but am wondering if there is anything else I should be looking at around that price range.

Any suggestions?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks as though the coffee cognoscenti here all like press pots. I agree that there's a time and place for French press coffee (perhaps 1935, Yugoslavia?), but I wouldn't recommend that route for you, Ryan.

First, if you don't get a quality burr grinder, a French press probably won't give you a good result, because even on the coursest grind setting, a cheapo grinder will give you some fine particles, which will end up passing through the screen of the French press and will quickly make your cup bitter. Most Americans don't like grounds in their cup, either. :barf:

A major reason people transitioned to filter type coffeemakers was to get rid of some of the oils that remain in even a well-prepared cup from a French press. Some folks prefer these oils in their coffee, and they argue the oils make the coffee more flavorful. I believe that's true. However, the oils contain high concentrations of some of the bad elements of coffee which are believed to contribute to heart disease. And the oils in less expensive coffees can be bitter.

American tastes tend to run along the lines of drip/filtered coffee for taste and for convenience. I prefer a commercial Bunn coffeemaker (I own a VP-17) because of its speed and dependability, but it's more maintenance than most people are willing to do.

I'd suggest a good water filter system and any standard drip machine with good online reviews. If you're going to grind your own beans, set aside at least $200-300 for a quality burr grinder, otherwise, don't waste the money on a cheap blade grinder--have your coffee ground where you buy it.

Nothing wrong with owning a French press, an espresso maker, and an ibrick for Turkish coffee. But I don't think that any of those will be satisfactory for your everyday cup.

I watched the video for the Technivorm. That seems way too expensive for what it is and it looked rather fragile. Are you really willing to wait during the brew cycle to re-adjust the brew lever two times? In the time it would take someone to make a pot of coffee with that Technivorm, I'd have my pot of coffee brewed and my toast, bacon and eggs prepared and half eaten. :p

That's my .02

Edited by Doc

french press

It takes slightly more effort but as I am discovering, there is a certain nostalgic appreciation for things you have to work for.

I have a zassenhaus burr grinder similar to this:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31TnEsLnvML.jpg

and a B&B 1 cup french press.

I will not say my palate is refined enough to taste drastic differences based on the way coffee is made, this is just the way I prefer to make it.

Kind of like how this weekend I made some book shelves out of an old pallet and I sanded by hand. It is a pita to sand all that by hand, but you have a great appreciation for the finished product when you put a little more work and attention to detail in it.

We got a Keurig last Christmas, and between work and home I love the convenience and choices you get. Plus, my wife doesn't drink coffee, but does enjoy chai tea lattes. Therefore, we can get two different choices at the same time with hardly any waste.

UA People LOL :gabe:

I don't know who makes a good drip maker because I never make drip, but I echo everyone who is recommending a high quality grinder. It doesn't matter how nice you brewer is if you are buying stale ground beans. Beans should be brewed no more than 5 minutes after grinding.

Really I think the areopress makes the best single cups of coffee if you dont have an espresso machine. Once I got the aeropress I almost stopped using my french press entirely.

Check out coffeegeek.com if you are sold on a drip machine.

Also just because here is my kitchen.

http://i.imgur.com/kfiM4l.jpg

I've already taken the grinder into consideration and plan on getting it before I even get a machine, or press.

I am leaning more toward a good machine, but don't see any reason not to get a french press to try as well. If anything it'll be something to put in the bug out bag.

We got a Keurig last Christmas, and between work and home I love the convenience and choices you get. Plus, my wife doesn't drink coffee, but does enjoy chai tea lattes. Therefore, we can get two different choices at the same time with hardly any waste.

My female roommate had one of these when she lived with me. Shit tasted like plastic. I dont know if it was residual taste from the plastic cups the coffee comes in, or what. BARF.

That is all.

Nespresso and Lavazza are the only cup-at-a-time coffee I like. Keurig makes my teeth feel like they have plastic on them.

It really isn't that hard to put grounds in a press, pour in hot water, wait a few minutes, push the press and drink. Plus, you get some grounds in your coffee.

I enjoy a pressure espresso maker. I use the ess pods that are made in Italy. 1 pod per 1 oz of espresso. It is for sure more expensive then the same thing at starbucks but i don't care. 2 shots over ice in the morning will cure all that ails you. I keep a press at work in my desk if I need more caffeine.

Its more important to focus on getting good coffee than a machine or press. All methods of making coffee do the same basic thing; add hot water + coffee + time and pressure and you have a cup of deliciousness.

In the price range you're looking, it's like comparing all the worlds small NA 4-cylinder motors. You're going to have some variance on HP, features, etc, but at the end of the day they all make your car go and smelly exhaust. Just get the one that works for your budget and has the features you think you'll actually use (programmable, timer, etc). They're all good.

EDIT: and for the press folks, I've done the french press for 4 years, I've done the Mr. Coffee basic coffee maker, and I've worked in a (non-Charbucks) coffee shop for 3 years. If you think you can tell me in a blind test which is a french press vs basic coffee maker vs store-made, you're either lying or ought to be a professional taste tester. If home coffee makers are the NA 4-cylinders, a French press is a donkey pulling a cart and the store machine is a twin turbo V8.

If you think you can tell me in a blind test which is a french press vs basic coffee maker vs store-made, you're either lying or ought to be a professional taste tester.

Given the same high quality beans I am confident that I could. I think it is fairly easy to tell coffee that has gone through a paper filter versus one that hasn't . I can taste the difference in areo-press and pour over given the same beans but I also use different grind settings and water temperatures for the brewing device I am using.

Its more important to focus on getting good coffee than a machine or press. All methods of making coffee do the same basic thing; add hot water + coffee + time and pressure and you have a cup of deliciousness.

In the price range you're looking, it's like comparing all the worlds small NA 4-cylinder motors. You're going to have some variance on HP, features, etc, but at the end of the day they all make your car go and smelly exhaust. Just get the one that works for your budget and has the features you think you'll actually use (programmable, timer, etc). They're all good.

EDIT: and for the press folks, I've done the french press for 4 years, I've done the Mr. Coffee basic coffee maker, and I've worked in a (non-Charbucks) coffee shop for 3 years. If you think you can tell me in a blind test which is a french press vs basic coffee maker vs store-made, you're either lying or ought to be a professional taste tester. If home coffee makers are the NA 4-cylinders, a French press is a donkey pulling a cart and the store machine is a twin turbo V8.

You must have had some shitty pressed coffee.

If can't see with your own eyes, the difference between pressed coffee & something that gets passed through a paper filter, you might need help.

Grind the same beans, at a grind appropriate for each device.

Make 2 cups, the french press not only has a bit of crema on top, but a lot of the oils that would otherwise get trapped in the shitty paper filter are present on the first taste...

Given the same high quality beans I am confident that I could. I think it is fairly easy to tell coffee that has gone through a paper filter versus one that hasn't . I can taste the difference in areo-press and pour over given the same beans but I also use different grind settings and water temperatures for the brewing device I am using.

Thank god someone isn't retarded.