1985 Corvette for $500?

zeitgeist57

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106590

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106862

I just got off the phone with my grandfather-in-law, Papaw Bill, down in St. Albans, WV. He's got my FIL's old 1985 Corvette, and as referenced in the threads above he's had quite the time getting it running right by a shop he can trust. My mom-in-law enlisted my help.

Long story short, the 150k-mile 'Vette likely needs an engine overhaul at best. It's been in the family since new. Capital Towing quoted me less than $450 to go grab it from WV, but I'm wondering if it's worth it, even if I could get it for FREE. I do love me some black-on-black Corvettes, though... :)

I look at it from the standpoint of an LSx-swap candidate to keep, or freshen it up over the winter and flip it in the spring...

Is it cheaoer to do towing that way or use someone with aaa?

It probably depends on your membership but I get raped after the first 100 miles. It may have changed since I used it but it was something like $3.50/mile over 100

Depends on the condition of the rest of the car. An 85 with a ton of miles isn't worth much, especially if it isn't in badass shape. Wasn't there an 80-something red one on here that made it down to 2300 or something and still wouldn't sell?

Even if you get it free, you're into it 500 to get it up here. You know how fast shit will add up to try to get it back up to par. I'd say go for it if you just want a project to mess with or want a roller for a swap, but I can't see you making much as a flip.

If I can get it up here (price and shipping) for $750, I should be able to flip it in the spring for $1250 as a runner/driver that needs engine work. I'm already putting it out there, CR! :)

Or...do an LS1 swap! After rebuilding the inline-six in my Ford F-100, I'll probably never rebuild again. The idea of a used 350hp (w/ bolt-ons) LSx in a 2,900lb car sounds like something I can have fun with while I still look at doing a Factory Five Cobra down the road...

Depends on the condition of the rest of the car. An 85 with a ton of miles isn't worth much, especially if it isn't in badass shape. Wasn't there an 80-something red one on here that made it down to 2300 or something and still wouldn't sell?

I remember the red one...the paint was in rough shape and the bumpers were cracked. The engine was in dicey condition as well, funky wheels, and it was an automatic.

EDIT: Plus it had the dookie Cross-Fire V8! At least the '85 in stock form has better suspension, a Dana 44 rearend, and TPI V8...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91954&highlight=1984+corvette

The idea of a used 350hp (w/ bolt-ons) LSx in a 2,900lb car sounds like something I can have fun with while I still look at doing a Factory Five Cobra down the road...

Was going to say this would be a fun "temporary F5" car until you build a real one later. Lightweight fiberglass V8 rwd 2 seater for dirt cheap, I don't see the problem here.

I just had a friend ask me last night if I knew anyone who would want to buy his LS1 shortblock, he bought a H/C/I setup and has decided to go with a 6.0 instead.

I remember the red one...the paint was in rough shape and the bumpers were cracked. The engine was in dicey condition as well, funky wheels, and it was an automatic.

EDIT: Plus it had the dookie Cross-Fire V8! At least the '85 in stock form has better suspension, a Dana 44 rearend, and TPI V8...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91954&highlight=1984+corvette

So the one you're talking about is a stick? I beleive the rearend is different between the auto and stick.

So when you decide that you really don't want it, are you going to let me buy it for $200 if I go down and get it?

A friend of mine recently bought an '86 Vette and had it for 28 hours before some one ran a red light and nailed the front end. Insurance totaled the car but it's completely driveable. I know I personally would be willing to buy both cars and make a good driver out of them.

Send me some pictures, I am interested in purchasing depending on the price. I will even pick it up. This might not be the best year of a vette, but it is not the dreaded 84 with the crossfire engine.