Rear end (assembly) what to buy

John Bruh

I'm going to be changing the motor/trans and rear end of my c10. Looking for ideas and opinions of which rear ends to look at.

I'm either going to be doing a 4bt cummins or a ls series motor swap.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of domestic parts/aftermarket. I know people love the ford 9", what about the 8.8? What did the 9" come in? 90's trucks?

What other rear ends are good?

12 bolt gm?

Can you get a rear end out of a 3/4 ton truck and make it have 5 lug instead of 8?

I'd just the use the 12bolt that came in the truck, they can be built plenty stout. And can be converted to 5x5 with new axle, which is how we did the rear 5lug conversion on our 68.

A 3/4 ton axle is going to either be a 14bolt or a Eaton ho52. Neither of which or really worth building or swapping. Also does your truck have trailing arms or leaf springs?

I would put a LSD in it and be done with it. Unless you are looking at big big power levels the stock axle's should be pretty stout. Do you know the spline count on your axle's? A 12 bolt is as strong as a 9" when built with equal quality parts. By building the rear end that you have you eliminate the cost of buying an aftermarket housing and (9") center section. In the end you could be looking at a stout rear end for less than $600 as opposed to an aftermarket differential that could cost you upwards of $2500 or more.

I'm going to be changing the motor/trans and rear end of my c10. Looking for ideas and opinions of which rear ends to look at.

I'm either going to be doing a 4bt cummins or a ls series motor swap.

I don't have a lot of knowledge of domestic parts/aftermarket. I know people love the ford 9", what about the 8.8? What did the 9" come in? 90's trucks?

What other rear ends are good?

12 bolt gm?

Can you get a rear end out of a 3/4 ton truck and make it have 5 lug instead of 8?

No on a 5 lug conversion with a 12 or 14 bolt GM. I'm going to step out on a limb and say this is a 2wd truck?

9" rears should be found starting in late 60's to mid 80's Ford 3/4 ton or even some Broncos. It's a strong and reliable candidate for a rear end swap. Or even a 12 bolt swap would do se good. Again, I assume this to be a street truck, so something like a Detroit Tru trac should be just fine. If it becomes more serious, maybe an Eaton E-locker is in the cards.

You can also throw a few of the Dana rear ends on the table too. Granted, the 60-80 are 8-lug axles, so you'd have to plan accordingly to swap the front. I'll post more up when I become sober if you have a few more questions.