So what's with the Automotive Service market?

Cordell

I've been thinking more about this lately, my Dad was a master Mazda tech for 25 years and he's convinced that imports are better for making money. To be honest German cars are intimidating since I've never really worked on them.

Nothing to be intimidated about... a car is a car. The difference between working on any other car and VW and Audis are the specialized tools.

I say go for it, Scott!

Nothing to be intimidated about... a car is a car. The difference between working on any other car and VW and Audis are the specialized tools.

I say go for it, Scott!

Just a lack of experience, I'll get serious about changing jobs after Christmas, right now I'm not going to lose this nice bonus I've built up. Just weighing options and getting opinions right now.

we're slow too Scott, that and our flat rate time keeps getting reduced because our service manager wants to be competitive with the other Acura dealer and "ALL" service shops. its fucking stupid, our time keeps getting cut but the labor rate keeps going up we're at $110 now

• 3 weeks later...

I deal all over Ohio, and I see flat rates from $25 to $170/hr.

It is slow in the auto service industry. A few behind the scenes notes.....

Autozone had their worst fiscal year, ever, last year. revenue was up, but they overspent on operating expenses. Their fiscal year ended sept 29.

Advance auto parts had a 3Q earning of -0.8% comp. Advance Auto parts is up for sale, for approx $7B right now, as they are looking to go private. (IPO) New store openings caused 3rd Q to be down, but this qtr is up 17%

Oreillys posted a 7% comp. vs last year, but they represent about 16% of the market, and are growing rapidly.

Carquest is about to close its doors.

Its not just you, or where you are, its all over. Autoservice has trended down since april, mostly due to a large number of new car sales. New car sales has peaked for the first time since 2000.