So what's with the Automotive Service market?

Cordell

I've been working here at Dave Gill Chevrolet for almost 3 years. It's been up and down, I've come a long way, but since I lost my experienced service advisor my hours have been shit. I went from averaging 50-60 flat rate hours, to lucky to make over 30 lately. It seems that the whole shop is slower but not as bad as I am. I want to ride this place out till the end off the year when I get the bonuses I've earned but after that I don't know what I want to do.

Obviously it would seem logical to go to another GM dealership because I have done well here in the past, but I'm not sure about that. I've worked for most of the chain stores at some point and hated all of them, Monro, Midas, Firestone, Tuffy, NTB, Tire Discounters, some for a couple days, Monro I was at for about a year. Those places suck, I like fixing cars not changing oil and trying to get people to buy shit. I'm not a people person, I deal with my co-workers just fine but I don't like talking to most people or trying to explain things so selling is not my strong suit.

Is there anything out there that would be a good fit? I'm open to ideas, but I need to find a place that will challenge me or I'll get bored.

I am an ASE Master technician, with multiple years of experience. I also worked as an electrician for about 6 years out of high school, with a 2 years of trade school for electrical. All I've ever been good at is putting shit together and driving, and since I can't get a job driving...

Is your advisor just lacking on selling work, or does it seem like the traffic coming in for service has slowed down? Honestly, think about the geographical area you're working in, and compare it to the average income of the area.

The North/Northwest part of columbus has the highest income per household statistically, and obviously they are a little easier to sell work to. I would see if you could get your foot in somewhere over on that side of town, with a GM dealer.

Also, statistically, the South/Southeast part of town is just the opposite for income, and less likely to buy any work that is sold to them. I've seen how each sides of town operate in service sales and it's amazing the night and day difference between the clients that come in.

just my .02, Scott.

I see dealerships (especially around Whitehall) as a last resort to getting my car fixed. More people are leaning towards DIY or going to friends garages, especially since almost any fix-it can be youtubed. What's the primary demographic that shows up there? I'm guessing old folks, women, and younger kids with their parents' credit card?

I know your pain man. I had to get out of it. Sadly, I made over 50k working at new Albany Midas for 3 years.

I'm very glad I'm at the airport now making twice as much as I ever made on cars. And it's hourly.

They hired a service tech here. To work on basic cars, 20$ an hour.

Like I said Im glad I got out of cars. There just is no money in them anymore.

Is your advisor just lacking on selling work, or does it seem like the traffic coming in for service has slowed down? Honestly, think about the geographical area you're working in, and compare it to the average income of the area.

The North/Northwest part of columbus has the highest income per household statistically, and obviously they are a little easier to sell work to. I would see if you could get your foot in somewhere over on that side of town, with a GM dealer.

Also, statistically, the South/Southeast part of town is just the opposite for income, and less likely to buy any work that is sold to them. I've seen how each sides of town operate in service sales and it's amazing the night and day difference between the clients that come in.

just my .02, Scott.

I agree with you. I guess I've basically been in pretty similar demographics most my career so I never thought about it quite like that.

I see dealerships (especially around Whitehall) as a last resort to getting my car fixed. More people are leaning towards DIY or going to friends garages, especially since almost any fix-it can be youtubed. What's the primary demographic that shows up there? I'm guessing old folks, women, and younger kids with their parents' credit card?

Honestly we get alot of crap where it was at some backyard mechanic that couldn't fix it. So their answer is always "take it to the dealer".

I know your pain man. I had to get out of it. Sadly, I made over 50k working at new Albany Midas for 3 years.

I'm very glad I'm at the airport now making twice as much as I ever made on cars. And it's hourly.

They hired a service tech here. To work on basic cars, 20$ an hour.

Like I said Im glad I got out of cars. There just is no money in them anymore.

Been thinking about doing something similar, not sure if I want that or not.

We're desperate for techs where I am if you want to make the drive and can work on Fords.

How far is it? I'm not worried about Ford's but I'm under the impression that you have to be Ford Certified to get paid for any warranty.

How far is it? I'm not worried about Ford's but I'm under the impression that you have to be Ford Certified to get paid for any warranty.

Byers Ford in Delaware. About the certification thing, I am not sure. I can find out for you if you're interested.

Byers Ford in Delaware. About the certification thing, I am not sure. I can find out for you if you're interested.

You can ask, I'd appreciate it and I'm interested, but keep in mind I'm not looking to move until after bonus time which is around Christmas. I have a feeling that it won't be very feasable until spring.

We're desperate for techs where I am if you want to make the drive and can work on Fords.
Wow, who all did you guys lose? I know Steve Woods left a while back, but I have not spoken to anyone up there in about a year.

You can ask, I'd appreciate it and I'm interested, but keep in mind I'm not looking to move until after bonus time which is around Christmas. I have a feeling that it won't be very feasable until spring.

The deal with the warranty, is you have to be certified in what ever 'specialty' area to complete work. Being that you are a master technician with years of experience, they would possibly just have you complete the online training modules. They are not hard, just time consuming. They will let you work on cars without Ford certs, but certified techs will get the warranty.

When I was there, they had a lot of diesel service and then normal mid size / compact vehicle service. I know that it does get slow at that shop over the winter, However that was with 5-7 Technicians there (shop is rather small).

If Sam and Duffy are still there, they are certainly experienced and manage to sell a lot of things at drop off, that you would have to ask a newer service writer to sell.

With fewer techs it may stay real busy over the winter...

Wow, who all did you guys lose? I know Steve Woods left a while back, but I have not spoken to anyone up there in about a year.

The deal with the warranty, is you have to be certified in what ever 'specialty' area to complete work. Being that you are a master technician with years of experience, they would possibly just have you complete the online training modules. They are not hard, just time consuming. They will let you work on cars without Ford certs, but certified techs will get the warranty.

When I was there, they had a lot of diesel service and then normal mid size / compact vehicle service. I know that it does get slow at that shop over the winter, However that was with 5-7 Technicians there (shop is rather small).

If Sam and Duffy are still there, they are certainly experienced and manage to sell a lot of things at drop off, that you would have to ask a newer service writer to sell.

With fewer techs it may stay real busy over the winter...

Not sure. Never really go back there unless it's to talk to the advisors. We only have three full-time guys and two hourly. We have a new manager who's trying to fix a lot of crap from the previous guy. That's why we are so down on techs. Those guys are always back there past five almost everyday, plus we have several used cars that have just been sitting waiting for safety inspections.

Sam's back there, and Duff is back with sales. The guy that replaced him (Mark) is a really good guy.

Not sure. Never really go back there unless it's to talk to the advisors. We only have three full-time guys and two hourly. We have a new manager who's trying to fix a lot of crap from the previous guy. That's why we are so down on techs. Those guys are always back there past five almost everyday, plus we have several used cars that have just been sitting waiting for safety inspections.

Sam's back there, and Duff is back with sales. The guy that replaced him (Mark) is a really good guy.

Haha, Duff switches between writing and selling often. Looked at the staff page, I am assuming it is not current, with only three full time guys. Ian, Darrell, Brian, Keith and Nick would all have been flat rate (all had connections with that store since it was Donley).

It sucks that you guys are short on employees. When you say fixing previous managers mess, I know there was Greg Howard, then Dan Davis. I would not have figured Dan to mess things up, although he was running the Delaware Ford and Downtown Chevy stores at the same time. Was there, to your knowledge, another manager between Vic and Dan?

It looks like most of the staff is still there, except for the Sales woman who wore skimpy clothes to sell cars. Someone needs to tell Kevin to roll his collar down for photos...

I'm at tire discounters here in Delaware and we're doing really good. However it comes in spirts. Our slow days are dead but on busy days it's ridiculous. Other stores are struggling it seems. All depends on where your it

Haha, Duff switches between writing and selling often. Looked at the staff page, I am assuming it is not current, with only three full time guys. Ian, Darrell, Brian, Keith and Nick would all have been flat rate (all had connections with that store since it was Donley).

It sucks that you guys are short on employees. When you say fixing previous managers mess, I know there was Greg Howard, then Dan Davis. I would not have figured Dan to mess things up, although he was running the Delaware Ford and Downtown Chevy stores at the same time. Was there, to your knowledge, another manager between Vic and Dan?

It looks like most of the staff is still there, except for the Sales woman who wore skimpy clothes to sell cars. Someone needs to tell Kevin to roll his collar down for photos...

There was Ed (don't remember his last name) who was there for a while before he got the boot. Then it was some red-headed guy from Ricart who decided to coach softball and mow then work at a dealership anymore. After him came a guy I work with briefly at MAG and they said "Bye" to him last month.

LOL at the Amanda comment.

I turned a wrench for about 9 years as a profession before the career change. Never worked domestic, always figured for the most part there were tons of GM/FORD/Dodge techs out there.

Worked for VW From my Junior year in H.S. and made a good living. In the summer flat rate I would turn 65-80/week and in the winter never saw below 38-45.

I think my highest year turning a wrench at the dealer I made around 65k.

You are a smart dude scott try audi/vw.. german cars are selling well and theres plenty of warranty work and most of the dealers in Columbus dont touch cars over 100k miles so there is plenty of maintenance work as well (timing belts and big service intervals)

Not sure what the top end scale flat rate pay is now but I think I was towards the top at my departure.

That's why the old saying is tool boxes have wheels for a reason. Someone out there is needing a tech and willing to pay you right or guarantee hours for a set period of time to get you adjusted to their product line.

There was Ed (don't remember his last name) who was there for a while before he got the boot. Then it was some red-headed guy from Ricart who decided to coach softball and mow then work at a dealership anymore. After him came a guy I work with briefly at MAG and they said "Bye" to him last month.

LOL at the Amanda comment.

Yeah, I never knew Ed's last name either, I believe he was the warranty process guy before that. Well I am not sure of her name, she was there mid summer of 2010, I think it may have been a trial run. I remember her wearing one of those pink tube style dresses that came down mid thigh and heels. Ask Jeff Earley about it, he would remember her name.

I turned a wrench for about 9 years as a profession before the career change. Never worked domestic, always figured for the most part there were tons of GM/FORD/Dodge techs out there.

Worked for VW From my Junior year in H.S. and made a good living. In the summer flat rate I would turn 65-80/week and in the winter never saw below 38-45.

I think my highest year turning a wrench at the dealer I made around 65k.

You are a smart dude scott try audi/vw.. german cars are selling well and theres plenty of warranty work and most of the dealers in Columbus dont touch cars over 100k miles so there is plenty of maintenance work as well (timing belts and big service intervals)

Not sure what the top end scale flat rate pay is now but I think I was towards the top at my departure.

That's why the old saying is tool boxes have wheels for a reason. Someone out there is needing a tech and willing to pay you right or guarantee hours for a set period of time to get you adjusted to their product line.

I've been thinking more about this lately, my Dad was a master Mazda tech for 25 years and he's convinced that imports are better for making money. To be honest German cars are intimidating since I've never really worked on them.

Get back into electrical and go for the industrial side. I been killing it this year and I should see close to 100k when its over. These last couple years have been strong for us.

Glad to hear the industry is getting better for you, but my best day as an electrician wasn't as good as my worst day working on cars. That stuff just isn't for me.

yeah they've changed a bit since I left 5 years ago but theres great money in them because no one else works on them. Sidework can make you good money as well doing german stuff. But the way some domestic companies are stealing german ideas Id say you proly would feel more comfortable then you think.