Autozone employee stops robbery, gets fired

KentStateTsi

Being that I work in a hospital; no I would not. We have to rely on a female security guard that is as wide as she is tall (and she's about 4ft. tall...) to protect us. I'm pretty much a sitting duck. She does have a pretty bright flash light though. I'm sure that would deter them.

Its just one of those choices you make in life. You knowingly carry a weapon knowing it voilates policy. There is a reason why its a policy. There is probably a really good chance that robber won't shoot anyone, if he gets what he wants.

Meanwhile if an Empolyee shoots a robber, they would be loosing way more than $2000 in legal fees. Its just not worth it for autozone.

I bet this guy gets hired by a pro gun place anyway making more than he did at his autozone job. Everyone wins

Counter points.

Its just one of those choices you make in life. You knowingly carry a weapon knowing it voilates policy. There is a reason why its a policy. There is probably a really good chance that robber won't shoot anyone, if he gets what he wants.

He wasn't carrying, his firearm was out in his car and he ran out of harms way, escaping and then came back to save his coworker. He clearly wasn't out to be vigilante as he could have easily shot the robber but didn't. He disarmed him.

Meanwhile if an Employee shoots a robber, they would be loosing way more than $2000 in legal fees. Its just not worth it for autozone.

Policies are guidelines to avoid running business on exceptions, but it doesn't mean there aren't ever exceptions made.

I bet this guy gets hired by a pro gun place anyway making more than he did at his autozone job. Everyone wins

agree

Counter points.

He wasn't carrying, his firearm was out in his car and he ran out of harms way, escaping and then came back to save his coworker. He clearly wasn't out to be vigilante as he could have easily shot the robber but didn't. He disarmed him.

What is Autozone's policy? I know at our work we can't even leave them in our cars. For a while you had to kept i locked in a box in the truck with the ammo in the glovebox blah blah

What is Autozone's policy?

No clue. Still feel it's one that has room for understanding and flexibility. If I worked at a job like that, I'd likely carry too. It's not like the guy was jeopardizing the career of a lifetime. It's an hourly job.

Can you imagine his next interview?

Interviewer: "tell me more about why your last role and why you and your employer agreed to a mutual seperation?"

Guy: "I was at work, escaped from the store during an armed robbery, secured my firearm from my vehicle, ran back into harms way to save my coworker. I successfully disarmed the robber potentially saving my coworkers life all while not firing a single shot and the company said I was out of line doing any of it. In the end I valued his life more than my job and they didn't. With that, we agreed that AutoZone's values were not in alignment with mine and thus together is made sense that we move on.

Guy: "I was at work, escaped from the store during an armed robbery, secured my firearm from my vehicle, ran back into harms way to save my coworker. I successfully disarmed the robber potentially saving my coworkers life all while not firing a single shot and the company said I was out of line doing any of it. In the end I valued his life more than my job and they didn't. With that, we agreed that AutoZone's values were not in alignment with mine and thus together is made sense that we move on.

I'm hiring you to help me on my next interview. :thumbup:

I had a gun pulled on me on several different occasions while working at the Auto Zone on the hilltop. It was the straw that broke the camels back for me. One guy had the whole side of his face blown off in the parking lot because he was messing with a woman of a local bar owner.

That place is a joke.

Brian I think when I first met you you were doing that and the dyno but at a different location.

The policy is to not have a firearm anywhere on the property including the parking lot. The only way he can do this without violating policy is to park the car in another lot.

I'm actually a manager at an Autozone. I was robbed just a little over a week ago. Gave the guy the money and let it at that. I had my carry weapon in my glovebox in the parking lot.

http://myfox28columbus.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/wtte_serial-robbery-suspect-arrested-west-columbus-20840.shtml

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/381987_3799800800859_1047415081_n.jpg

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/283215_3799655317222_1940299735_n.jpg

A few photos after. I was in the patty wagon to ID him when they caught him off Wilson Rd.