LOL at best buy in reynoldsburg.

pontiacfreak142

So as some might know, ive already been dealing with the idiots that work at this location, attempting to get my dash repaird/replaced due to some idiot messing it up while installing me remote start.

Now, i go in there this morning to get the fiance a cd player for her car for christmas. Luckily my dad went with me and reminded me that radio may control some other things, so we jumped on a computer and look up the parts install list. We notice there is some wire harness and seperate module listed. After reading up we grab a generic harness off the shelf (20 bucks) and grab one of the guys working back that area to see if they had the module (controls the alarms for keys in ignition). Kid comes over and looks at the parts list and says the harness we had would not work and we needed the other one listed (150 bucks).

We asked the kid to explain why and he says its because GM has a junk design and that alot of stuff wouldnt work with out it. After sending the kid off to see if they even have it, we jump back on the computer to look up said harness. Of course the description is pretty bland, but we read something about air bags, and notice the equipment number is GMOS-XX, and after some quick research, we found that its only needed if you have onstar, hence GMOS....

Kid then comes back, says they dont have it, so i just say its cool i have what i need. Then, this little twat gets an attitude with me and starts saying he would never lie to me and that he garuntees its true, i could even go ask the guys in the install shop (the same guys who fucked up my dash and tried to blame it on GM? I think not....)

After that, we just walked away before it got ugly. That will be the last time i step foot in that store.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r247/A4SHO/Lucky-Charms-Theyre-Always_BBFC100B.jpg

Winning. Had best buy tell me I needed a extra grand worth of modules and what not for a remote start on a base model yaris last year. They are after all the lucky charms pots of gold

I've never had an issue like that with them, however I take steps to avoid even having that type of discussion. Like telling them I'm replacing an existing aftermarket radio.

Next time order the radio from a place like crutchfeild, I got my last one from them for my 2010 Silverado. They incuded everything to install it for $50 which was great considering everywhere else wanted $125-150 for just the wire harness/module.

FYI all late model GMs have the radio on their data bus circuitry so an aftermarket radio is not easily installed without an interface module, which are not cheap. However I'm not positive your Bonneville, but it's a little old to have that set-up and should just need the interface so Onstar will still play through your speakers. You're probably right.

I get very tired of asshat retail employees telling me the stuff I'm buying for a project won't work. If any of them had a clue they wouldn't be working there anyway. My latest favorite dumbass works at the napa warehouse in linworth. I try so hard not to get waited on by him. When I go to napa I have part numbers and know what I'm doing, but the dude refuses to get me the numbers and insists on entering vehicle info. Last instance was filters for my duece and a half. Dude argued over and over that those "tractor" filters wouldn't work and didn't know what kind of car I had, but it wasn't in the system.

I've never had an issue like that with them, however I take steps to avoid even having that type of discussion. Like telling them I'm replacing an existing aftermarket radio.

Next time order the radio from a place like crutchfeild, I got my last one from them for my 2010 Silverado. They incuded everything to install it for $50 which was great considering everywhere else wanted $125-150 for just the wire harness/module.

FYI all late model GMs have the radio on their data bus circuitry so an aftermarket radio is not easily installed without an interface module, which are not cheap. However I'm not positive your Bonneville, but it's a little old to have that set-up and should just need the interface so Onstar will still play through your speakers. You're probably right.

I honestly didnt think something like that would happen considering i never even asked for the little douch bags opinion. We just asked for a wire harness.

Yea i know how the new ones are set up and we were pretty sure mine was old enough to not have to worry about. Not to mention the module we knew we needed said it was just for the door/key alarm. Kid didnt help his case either by saying the harness we needed would affect the air bags and speedo lol

I am pretty sure I've had the mispleasure of being "helped " by the same dude.

I get very tired of asshat retail employees telling me the stuff I'm buying for a project won't work. If any of them had a clue they wouldn't be working there anyway. My latest favorite dumbass works at the napa warehouse in linworth. I try so hard not to get waited on by him. When I go to napa I have part numbers and know what I'm doing, but the dude refuses to get me the numbers and insists on entering vehicle info. Last instance was filters for my duece and a half. Dude argued over and over that those "tractor" filters wouldn't work and didn't know what kind of car I had, but it wasn't in the system.

I am pretty sure I've had the mispleasure of being "helped " by the same dude.

Lucky there are some old guys in there that actually know things. I try to get them.

Another genius works at the hardware store/carquest in Sunbury. He tried to give me a bunch of DOT rules and ORC crap when I just wanted a semi truck glad hand to make an air hose adapter for air tools.

If a retail employee ever told me I was wrong and had to spend more money, when I was 100% positive I was right AND had proof, I'd tell them to shut the fuck up right to their face. I've done enough years in retail to know that anyone who thinks they know more (or even worse, a machine knows more) than a insightful customer is an idiot.

+1 for crutchfield. Picked up a head unit for the Civic. Got a great deal and once I picked out the unit their website automatically added the wiring harness and dash adapter to my cart. All with free shipping, less than $100 total. I couldn't get it any cheaper on Amazon.

The only reason i went with best buy is because i have their credit card with 0% interest, so i put it on that.

My dad didnt tell him to STFU, but he did strait up call the kid out while he was gettin pissy with us, but he still didnt take the hint. We asked him why he thought some one would be dumb enough to to wire a dash and air bags through a fucking radio, his response was "well they did, i wouldnt lie to you, its just gm's junk design"

do own work/thread

Quoting for truth,

when I was 18 I had stereo limited install a nice JVC CD player and Orion sound system in my IROC-Z, when I got the car back it was all fucked up, several broken interior clips, cracks in the center console upper section, the audio unit was installed half assed, it sat in there unevenly and skipped all the time, you'd think since I spent $1,800 cash on all that in one day they would at least do a decent job, but after that experience I've never let another shop touch my car again.