If you were left a large sum of money.. what would you do?

Buck531

Personally, a fabrication/machine shop probably but I have a few other ideas also. The premise is to find what market is lacking and capitalize on that gap.

Ah. I've always wanted to own a restaurant but I feel it would backfire 6 months into it and fail.

Remember though, paying off a mortgage uber early can save $100k+ in interest.

I certainly realize this, but it all comes down to simple math that most people can't be bothered to do because they THINK it's complicated.

Example:

$100k remaining balance on mortgage with a 4% annual interest rate, remaining time on loan is 20 years.

Based on a simple interest calculator, you'll see that over the course of 20 years you will pay $80k in interest if you make minimum monthly payments.

If, however, you have an investment that you can be certain will net you greater than $80k over the course of 20 years, it makes more sense to keep that $100k and invest it rather than pay off the mortgage. Yes, the bank gets to make money off you, but the opportunity cost of preventing that may be too great.

Of course, that is a ceteris paribus example. Reality doesn't work that way, but it's at least worth a consideration.