Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

Would you guys say this years Ohio State team has the highest expectations in the history of OSU football? I know I'm young, but I've never had/heard expectations like this years. I also know we are supposed to be great every year, but this year, it's almost expected and anything less than 13-0 (after the B1G championship) is a failed year. Just curious on your guys' thoughts on this years expectations.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would you guys say this years Ohio State team has the highest expectations in the history of OSU football? I know I'm young, but I've never had/heard expectations like this years. I also know we are supposed to be great every year, but this year, it's almost expected and anything less than 13-0 (after the B1G championship) is a failed year. Just curious on your guys' thoughts on this years expectations.

No. 1996, 1998 and definitely most especially 2006

No. 1996, 1998 and definitely most especially 2006

I remember high expectations, but still not like this years IMO.

I feel like as the season went on, expectations became greater, but not months before the season even started like this.

You have to go back farther than that, back to 1969. There quite literally was no team in America that was considered to have a chance against that team. The teams from the 90's had some huge expectations, but nothing like in 69.

I remember high expectations, but still not like this years IMO.

I feel like as the season went on, expectations became greater, but not months before the season even started like this.

2006 OSU opened the season ranked #1 in both polls with the consensus favorite for the heisman, 2 of the top WR in the country, and the #1 RB in the country coming in. No one was expected to come close to OSU.

You have to go back farther than that, back to 1969. There quite literally was no team in America that was considered to have a chance against that team. The teams from the 90's had some huge expectations, but nothing like in 69.

Yeah 1969 was supposed to be the team of the century.

2006 OSU opened the season ranked #1 in both polls with the consensus favorite for the heisman, 2 of the top WR in the country, and the #1 RB in the country coming in. No one was expected to come close to OSU.

Yeah I understand that....expectations were high, but we were also unaware of how great the SEC was, and now we are aware, and we are still right there. Urban Meyer IMO adds more hype than Tressel did as well.

Yeah I understand that....expectations were high, but we were also unaware of how great the SEC was, and now we are aware, and we are still right there. Urban Meyer IMO adds more hype than Tressel did as well.

Tressel was undefeated in BCS games and like 5-2 overall in NC games (DI-A and DI-AA) at the time. I think you are really underestimating the kind of hype that the 2006 team was getting. I mean it was absolutely tremendous. Basically like what Alabama gets today.

Tressel was undefeated in BCS games and like 5-2 overall in NC games (DI-A and DI-AA) at the time. I think you are really underestimating the kind of hype that the 2006 team was getting. I mean it was absolutely tremendous. Basically like what Alabama gets today.

I don't think there is any comparison to Ohio State then and Alabama today....just by the stats, it's really not even close. 3 national titles in 5 years?

I don't think there is any comparison to Ohio State then and Alabama today....just by the stats, it's really not even close. 3 national titles in 5 years?

OSU had 3 BCS wins, 3 top 10, 2 top 5 finishes, and 1 NC in 4 years before 2006. That was basically unheard of at the time. Yes, they were getting that kind of hype. Remember, Jim Tressel had just taken down the supposedly greatest team ever 4 seasons before.

In the final minutes of the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame Herbie and Musburger said it was very possible that you'd be seeing a rematch of that game a year from then for the national title. The hype started right then. Definitely the most hyped OSU team I've been around for.

In the final minutes of the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame Herbie and Musburger said it was very possible that you'd be seeing a rematch of that game a year from then for the national title. The hype started right then. Definitely the most hyped OSU team I've been around for.

Because of the debacle in the desert, most people seem to either forget or don't want to remember that not only was OSU not really hated by ESPN or anyone at the time, they were considered one of the top if not the top program headed into 2006. All those stats I posted, coupled with the recruits Tressel was pulling in, and how they turned a 3 star into a Heisman candidate. I am also pretty sure early in the season everyone thought it would be ND or USC that OSU would face in the NC game.

Yep, Brady Quinn was supposed to be the frontrunner for the Heisman, leading ND to a national title game under Charlie Weis. Troy was definitely a contender but Brady was out in front until Michigan made him look real bad in South Bend early in the season.

Still, BStowers has a point: if Ohio State doesn't win National Championship this year, then everyone will call it a failure.

Also, it wouldn't be a pre-season poll without 5 SEC teams in the Top 10.

At least, like Josh pointed out, there's no VA Tech in Top 10. Refreshing.

Yep, Brady Quinn was supposed to be the frontrunner for the Heisman, leading ND to a national title game under Charlie Weis. Troy was definitely a contender but Brady was out in front until Michigan made him look real bad in South Bend early in the season.

Well, ND failure to Michigan early and tOSU demolition of no.2 Texas definitely hyped it up even more. Even though it was 24-7, but in tresselball era, that was a blow out.

At least, like Josh pointed out, there's no VA Tech in Top 10. Refreshing.

THIS!!!

VA Tech has been one of the most overrated teams in recent memory. They would somehow get ranked highly every year and lose several games.

I'm 33 and really only recall serious expectations for 96, 98, and 2006 as pointed out by others. I can't speak to anything prior to then honestly.

I can't remember if 2004 was the final year of Krenzel at QB but there was a TON of hype the year after the national title game. I believe they went in ranked #1 and were thought unbeatable until Clarett went crazy. They dropped one early though as I recall and the season was a bust.

Personally I think national title game or it's a fail year this year. I don't know if they have the personnel to win it but if they went to the title game and were competitive and it close I'd be happy. (I'd prefer to win it obviously against whatever SEC team is in there)

Pavo

i'm ready. i'll be watching the first two games in hilton head at wild wings cafe, with my brother in law----we have a tradition of getting drunk as hell for the first game of the year. wife and i also have tickets to the wisconsin game--pretty pumped about that, since i live in wisconsin, and all my colleagues give me crap about the buckeyes

06 was easily the most hyped OSU team I can remember in my 28 years of existence. There was nearly 100k people at the damn spring game that year lol. As others mentioned you had a team with a Heisman hopeful, a WR who was a preseason Heisman watch list guy, you had talent galore. Really the hype for that team began in 04 when Ginn was a freshman and Smith beat Michigan (before being suspended) for the first time.

THIS!!!

I can't remember if 2004 was the final year of Krenzel at QB but there was a TON of hype the year after the national title game. I believe they went in ranked #1 and were thought unbeatable until Clarett went crazy. They dropped one early though as I recall and the season was a bust.

That was 2003

Yup 2003 was a hyped year. We lost to Wisconsin to lose first game of that year. It was on a long pass to that good receiver from Wisconsin - Toon? And that's when one of our line backers choked the Wisconsin QB on bottom of pile.

Just another reason I fucking hate Wisconsin.

I think our offense this year will be something we haven't seen in a long time, maybe if ever. I think this years offense will trump the 2006 teams offense, and not necessarily because of talent (so don't take that the wrong way), but because the coaching staff will maximize the talent that we do have.

Like what? I think many people underestimate some of the offenses that Oho State has had in recent years. Most years was above 35 points a game, not bad for a team that most said was boring or played for the kick. Tress was constantly talked about how he didn't maximize his players, yet he put a lot of them in the NFL haha. It will take one hell of an offense to trump the talent on the 06 team. Go look up the roster for that team, it was stupid.

QB: Smith

RB: Pittman/Wells

WR: Ginn, Gonzo, Robiske, Hartline

TE: Ballard

OT: Boone

I believe the 2010 team averaged the most with 39 points a game

Like what? I think many people underestimate some of the offenses that Oho State has had in recent years. Most years was above 35 points a game, not bad for a team that most said was boring or played for the kick. Tress was constantly talked about how he didn't maximize his players, yet he put a lot of them in the NFL haha. It will take one hell of an offense to trump the talent on the 06 team. Go look up the roster for that team, it was stupid.

QB: Smith

RB: Pittman/Wells

WR: Ginn, Gonzo, Robiske, Hartline

TE: Ballard

OT: Boone

I believe the 2010 team averaged the most with 39 points a game

We'll wait and see what this team does. I think it will be as dynamic as ever if Miller improved at all passing wise. All of the receivers should have improved and I think we will see a few breakout receivers emerge this year. Running back wise there is no question that we are deep as we've ever been there. I mean we lose a top 5 back in the country and we're excited to see other guys (5 stars) get a shot.