Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bingo!!! People on scout are complaining that an alcohol ban would kill recruiting. Well if recruits are that concerned about drinking, maybe you shouldn't be recruiting them to begin with

Ban College kids from Drinking? LOL That's not going to happen. Kids are young, Kids want to have fun, these are still kids. They will make some mistakes, they are going to drink reguardless if there is a ban or not. There is a law against underage drinking and they are still doing it. Vonn Bell got an open container ticket like a week ago, think he was in a car with open containers. Driver got a DUI, he got the open container. Since he didn't get a ticket for underage consumption, don't think anything will happen to him.

Bell's open container thing is old I think. From his brother's DUI. He was in the car with him. Could be wrong as everything is flying fast and furious right now.

The 2013 freshman who wasn't at the meeting this morning was supposedly OL Tim Gardner.

I am aware that college kids want to drink, but at what point do you say enough is enough? You have all these kids getting in trouble not just at Ohio State but in CFB as a whole and the common theme is alcohol. Florida just had a linebacker arrested twice in 2 weeks, both times alcohol involved from what is being reported. Manziel gets booted from the Manning camp, apparently due to drinking the night before. Baugh, Hyde and Roby, Bell for sure arrested/charged due to drinking issues.

The excuse of these are kids is a bullshit one at best. These are 18+ year old people, in the United States that makes them ADULTS! It's time to stop coddling the youth and blaming every mistake they make on them being kids.

Bell's open container thing is old I think. From his brother's DUI. He was in the car with him. Could be wrong as everything is flying fast and furious right now.

The 2013 freshman who wasn't at the meeting this morning was supposedly OL Tim Gardner.

Hyde hits a girl, he should be dismissed. Probably dismissed until the case is finished. Unless the girl drops the charges, Hyde is done for for the season. But if he did infact hit a girl on purpose, he deserves it and I will have no sympathy for him. Roby? WTF was he doing in Bloomington? I hope nothing serious comes out of that.

Hyde hits a girl, he should be dismissed. Probably dismissed until the case is finished. Unless the girl drops the charges, Hyde is done for for the season. But if he did infact hit a girl on purpose, he deserves it and I will have no sympathy for him. Roby? WTF was he doing in Bloomington? I hope nothing serious comes out of that.

Maybe the Hyde situation will end up being like Storm Kleins last year. Girl attacked Storm, he did what cops told him to do, got charged, missed most of his senior year and then charges were dropped.

I am aware that college kids want to drink, but at what point do you say enough is enough? You have all these kids getting in trouble not just at Ohio State but in CFB as a whole and the common theme is alcohol. Florida just had a linebacker arrested twice in 2 weeks, both times alcohol involved from what is being reported. Manziel gets booted from the Manning camp, apparently due to drinking the night before. Baugh, Hyde and Roby, Bell for sure arrested/charged due to drinking issues.

The excuse of these are kids is a bullshit one at best. These are 18+ year old people, in the United States that makes them ADULTS! It's time to stop coddling the youth and blaming every mistake they make on them being kids.

Just because they are 18+ doesn't make them an adult The best we can hope for is for them to learn from their mistakes and move on. Making stupid decisions and learning from them is part of growing up. I done plenty of stupid things when I was younger. Thinking back on it is like WTF was I thinking.

Maybe the Hyde situation will end up being like Storm Kleins last year. Girl attacked Storm, he did what cops told him to do, got charged, missed most of his senior year and then charges were dropped.

There seems to be something a little bit different with Hyde's case though. I read yesterday that he initially lied to Urban about it which is a big no-no. Haven't seen anything on that today as the actual police report is the focal point now but there doesn't seem to be a lot of hope for a Storm-like return here for whatever reason.

I am sure that fact that she is the daughter of a Westerville PD doesn't help. I bet that is the first thing that came out of her mouth. My dad's a cop and a black man just assulted me. Shit won't fly will with the media and fans.

Zack, I wonder if Adam Griffin will be in trouble with Urban as well. He did tweet claiming that Hyde was in his room all night and wasn't the one that punched the girl. Lying to your coach is never a good thing. I had read the rumor that her dad was a cop, but was serving in Afghanistan.

Zack, I wonder if Adam Griffin will be in trouble with Urban as well. He did tweet claiming that Hyde was in his room all night and wasn't the one that punched the girl. Lying to your coach is never a good thing. I had read the rumor that her dad was a cop, but was serving in Afghanistan.

Yeah, father is a Westerville cop overseas right now.

And I saw the Griffin tweet. Maybe that's the lie... maybe Hyde got a hold of Griffin's phone/computer and tweeted that himself to try and protect himself through Archie's son. "Look Urban, Archie's son wouldn't lie!" Pure speculation on my part.

I love Stadium and Main. Pure comedy gold over there.

Post from nevada regarding this morning's meeting...

Coach Meyer looked like he was going to blow a gasket today, but believe it or not, didn't say as much as one would imagine....

Gene Smith screamed at the team though...which was a little unusual.....

Mewhort or Shazier need to step up and lead the team---but they are more "lead by example" kinda guys....

the vocal leaders on the team are Coach Vrabel and Coombs....and not sure that is the best recipe....you need internal stimulus as well as external

Just as others said in reply to nevada, I'd be terrified of Urban being quiet. If he's keeping his mouth shut you can only imagine how truly pissed off he is. This team is going to be punished in a couple weeks.

2014 anyone?

2014 will be interesting because they lose 4 OL and they aren't really set up to reload there. Bollman did a piss poor job of recruiting the OL his last couple years at OSU and Urban's guys haven't exactly hit it out of the park. They're hoping to this year and they're hoping to get a starting tackle in this class (JUCO) but that still leaves 3 positions wide open.

Release from OSU:

Meyer announces discipline for four Buckeyes

Separate incidents result in immediate, decisive action

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer today suspended senior running back Carlos Hyde, from Naples, Fla., from all football team activities pending the outcome of the student code of conduct and criminal investigations. Hyde was named in a City of Columbus Police Department report that was issued Monday.

Meyer also took disciplinary action Monday against two freshmen who were involved in legal issues in the past week: tight end Marcus Baugh, from Riverside, Calif., and defensive lineman Tim Gardner, from Indianapolis. He also announced that senior cornerback Bradley Roby, from Suwanee, Ga., will not attend Big Ten media days this week. Roby was involved in a legal issue this weekend in Bloomington, Ind., and, as more information becomes available, could face additional discipline.

“I have a clear set of core values in place that members of this football program are constantly reminded of and are expected to honor,” Meyer said. “There are also expectations with regard to behavior. I expect our players to conduct themselves responsibly and appropriately and they will be held accountable for their actions.”

Baugh has been removed from all team activities and will sit out the first game of the season, Aug. 31 vs. Buffalo, for his arrest last weekend for underage possession of alcohol and possessing a fake identification. His actions will also result in the loss of his summer aid.

Gardner is being sent home and will not be a part of the 2013 team after he was charged Saturday night by Columbus police with obstruction of official business.

“Swift, effective and fair discipline is the standard for our entire athletics program,” Director of Athletics Gene Smith said. “I applaud Coach Meyer for his immediate actions.”

Starting to get the players' sides of the story. This is from Bucknuts (a guy who talked to his "source" whose son very recently played for OSU) so take it for what it's worth...

Hyde: Rumor - asked girl to dance, she said no, he punched her. What really happened - Don't have all the details yet but a witness said Hyde was acting fine then a skirmish broke out and the girl got tagged accidentally. Some guy supposedly started in on Hyde (either a boyfriend or friend that was acting tough) while Hyde was talking to the girl. No signs that Hyde was talking smack or getting rough. The girl told security she was sucker punched by Hyde and they disagreed. Her dad is a cop and called his friends, they showed up and took her statement. What might of happened is the girl was hit by the back of Hyde's elbow when he put his hands up because the guy shoved or looked like he was going to shove Hyde.

Roby: Rumor - wouldn't leave a bar, punched a bouncer. What really happened - Bouncers were being jerks and grabbing and cussing at people to make them leave. Roby didn't like how they were being treated, he got grabbed and picked up off the ground and he defended himself to get them off of him. Word is he will not be suspended unless the assault charge proves real.

Much like how I hoped nevada was wrong (and he may have jumped the gun by saying Hyde was kicked off the team due to his bias) I hope that Bucknuts, a site I have almost no respect for, is right.

Have to assume since this is the players' side that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. More inclined to believe Roby's situation at this point though since he was somewhat in hostile territory. If there's tape on Hyde then I hope it goes with his side 100%. Really wanted him to be Urban's first 1,000-yarder.

Starting to get the players' sides of the story. This is from Bucknuts (a guy who talked to his "source" whose son very recently played for OSU) so take it for what it's worth...

Much like how I hoped nevada was wrong (and he may have jumped the gun by saying Hyde was kicked off the team due to his bias) I hope that Bucknuts, a site I have almost no respect for, is right.

Have to assume since this is the players' side that the truth lies somewhere in the middle. More inclined to believe Roby's situation at this point though since he was somewhat in hostile territory. If there's tape on Hyde then I hope it goes with his side 100%. Really wanted him to be Urban's first 1,000-yarder.

I wonder if the surveillance video corroborates with hydes story. It be pretty messed up if that is true though. Would hate to see the repercussions that girl will face from OSU fans for creating this mess.

I hope the cameras back up his story. I also hope the rumor about Roby proves to be true, that way ESPN can go suck a dick

They just wouldn't report it. Its all hype spin b/c of Hernandez.

Youd figure Urban would have a couple friends at ESPN. Not saying they hate him or OSU it just seems to me that all ESPN really cares about is that Hyde got in some sort of trouble aka drama. True sports reporting should be some analysis and the impact of such a loss.