Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm excited to see what type of numbers Shazier will put up this year. He didn't really come on until the midway point of last year, and when he still put up insane numbers (better than Teo in every category but INTs). So I can't wait to see what he can do if he's gotten even better, and plays well for an entire season. I'm also excited to see Spence and Washington. I've heard nothing but that they are monsters, and what everyone saw in the spring game wasn't even their best. The other area I'm sure everyone is excited to see is the young running backs/athletes. I watched tapes of Marshall, Wilson, and Elliot and I can't wait to see them in action more early on with Hyde out.

I really wonder if they won't redshirt Zeke. Yeah, Hyde is out 3 games but they've got Hall, Smith, Dunn and Ball as RB's. 3 of them pure RB's with Hall doing the whole pivot/H-back thing.

Reports have Washington jumping out in front as the best DL on the team. Need that front 4 to play really well early to help the new LB's (Perry mostly, Grant whenever he actually gets on the field).

The point he make sin that article about the money is exactly the point I was making earlier in this thread. Money, to a guy like that, is not a resource, it's a way to keep score.

Top 5 defensive and top 5 offensive freshmen so far from nevada... lots of opinion/whatever/stuff we've already heard/read here so TIFWIW...

1) Joey Bosa---if you were wondering how quickly he would acclimate to the college game, then wait no longer. As Bosa is LEGIT. Disruptive, strong and plays with great leverage, Bosa is already turning heads early in Fall Camp. Going to be very special.

2) Mike Mitchell---just a football player. In fantastic shape, his early play doesn't look anything like a true freshmen, as he is always around the ball. Making an early move on the middle linebacker spot, and will play this season. Red shirt? no way

3) Gareon Conley--actually taken some first team reps already at cornerback. Long and lean with great ball skills. This is a guy that understands body position and the importance of proper footwork. Another guy who is going to push for immediate playing time, despite having veterans in front of him. Any thoughts of him being a wide receiver need to be pushed aside---he is a cornerback, and a good one

4) Vonn Bell--Came in highly touted. Showing himself worthy of the praise. Surprisingly strong despite his lean frame. Bell will make an impact on special teams this year for sure, and will shine in backup duty. Has a real knack for getting to the ball at its highest point, and has been rarely bested thus far. Another special athlete

5) Eli Apple---another one of those tall corners that OSU covets so much. Plays the ball so well, you can tell he has the ability to play on either side of the ball. But his future is at corner as his instincts are just so refined for someone so young. Another guy who is going to play a lot this season---he is just too good to keep off the field.

These five guys will not be redshirted this year IMHO.

More to follow.

1) Dontre Wilson---lots has been written---all of it true.

No, he won't score every time he touches the ball, but you will feel like he has a chance to.

Elite speed--great change of direction and wiggle----just a really fun football player to watch

2) Jalin Marshall---great lower body strength and can run through arm tackles if the defender isn't set. Has taken some shots this camp, and for the most part just bounces off(ask Christian Bryant cool) Very good at returning kicks as well, so we will see him on the field early.

3) EZE--there were some questions about the level of competition that he faced, and some were legitimately skeptical. Lets put those to rest. The kid can flat out play, and at a high level. Very fast, very strong and sees the holes well and wastes no time getting through them. Another guy that you have to find a way to get on the field

4) Marcus Baugh--very athletic, catches the ball extremely well and uses his body to his advantage. Almost the prototypical TE in the OSU offense, as this biggest surprise has been how well he can BLOCK. Going to be very good

5) Evan Lisle----Plays with a lot of NASTY. In fantastic shape, and can RUN---which is the type of Olinemen that Meyer covets. Very very good player---much better than the OSU staff expected(and they liked him a lot coming out of HS). Going to come right in and play, and play well

More to come....

DB Najee Murray supposedly kicked off the team for "unspecified rules violation". Rumors are he is looking to transfer to Louisville, seems like everyone is going to Louisville all of a sudden.

"Ohio State sophomore defensive back Najee Murray has been dismissed from the team, sources told Eleven Warriors. The Steubenville native’s exit was due to a violation of team rules. Early indications are he intends to transfer to Louisville.

Murray, an OSU Scholar-Athlete, was expected to be a contributor on special teams and in the secondary during the 2013 season. He played in six games last season, mostly on special teams, until a torn ACL in practice ended his year. Murray accounted for three solo tackles.

He entered Ohio State as an All-State player and earned co-defensive player of the year honors as a senior.

Murray’s absence does not shakeup the starting lineup, but it puts a dent into the Buckeyes’ depth. Redshirt junior Bradley Roby’s status is still up in the air following an arrest for misdemeanor battery. But all indications are he’ll face a suspension of an undetermined length."

Apparently Philly Brown will no longer be a slot. Dontre doing so well he can take that over (with Chris Fields/Jordan Hall getting some catches there as well I'm sure) and Philly can move outside.

Hope that works out. Philly was amazing for OSU last season on 3rd down in the slot.

I know some Steubenville guys were hoping he would do some good to reverse the town's rep. Oops. Another scholarship freed up I guess.

Now they are reporting he isn't off the team? Donavon Munger will be out the season as well with a blood clot in his lungs

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2013/08/ohio_state_defensive_lineman_d.html

He had better be one elusive little bastard of a running back. He isn't going to plow anyone over and honestly I don't think he is fast enough to outrun anyone either. Maybe he knows the blocking assignments better than the others?

He is there to confuse the defense and catch pass like a WR?