Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

Should only have 2 unless the NIU game was done away with. And I think they actually have to get rid of one in 2016 since the B1G goes to a 9-game conference schedule and the already have BGSU, Tulsa, Oklahoma and Central Michigan for OOC games.

Edit: Just saw the thing in an article about the NIU game being "in flux" but their AD seemed to deny that shortly after so looks like it's still on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two deep released today. Lots of freshman in it:

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/2013/08/25147/ohio-state-football-buffalo-depth-chart-released#more

2015 will see OSU play twice in 5 days then. They only have 10 games scheduled and only 8 conference games. So for sure 1 more conference opponent will be added which will take place either Sept 19th, Sept 26th or Oct 31st (Give me Wisky or Nebraska at home for a night game). I wonder who the other team will be to fill in as game #12 in Sept.

Sept 7th- @Va Tech

Sept 12th- Northern Illinois

Sept 19th- Open

Sept26th- Open

Oct 3rd: @Indiana

Oct 10th: Maryland

Oct. 17: Penn State

Oct. 24: at Rutgers (Oct. 24)

Oct 31st: OPEN (Could see either Wisky/Nebraska go here for big time night game on Halloween)

Nov 7th: Minnesota

Nov 14th @Illinois

Nov 21st: Michigan State

Nov 28th: @Michigan

And your captains are....

Half the team

Braxton Miller, Jack Mewhort, Philly Brown, Ryan Shazier, Corey Linsley, Christian Bryant, Kenny Guiton and C.J. Barnett

So for sure 1 more conference opponent will be added which will take place either Sept 19th, Sept 26th or Oct 31st (Give me Wisky or Nebraska at home for a night game).

They don't go to 9-game conference schedules until 2016 so there will be 2 OOC teams added.

Ah I thought they went in 2015 to the 9 game format...I love the captains for the same reason as Zack and think it's crazy there is 8 of them, seems a little excessive. Not real sure how I feel about Braxton being a captain when even Urban has criticized him on not being that great of a leader. Said he needs to become more of a leader..

That's why he made him a captain. Urban wants some of these guys to step up more and he thinks naming them a captain will help with that.

As was evident in that weekend before camp with the accusations/arrests of 2 upperclassmen, the team has something of a leadership problem. Apparently, after going through camp, they still have that at least a little bit. I think guys like Mewhort, Shazier and Bryant are probably some of the better leaders out of the 8. The others need to show now that they deserve the title of captain.

I just don't understand having 8 captains, has to be a record for Ohio State haha. Also you usually don't name someone a captain because they lack leadership, I think him not being named a captain would make him step up to become more of a leader in order to become one next year. Oh well, not that it really matters outside of being able to put it on a resume.

BTW how many think Manziel plays in the opener for A&M? They are sort of caught in a limbo, play him and risk having to forfeit the games he competes in if he is found guilty or not play him and have him be found not guilty by the NCAA.

I just don't understand having 8 captains, has to be a record for Ohio State haha. Also you usually don't name someone a captain because they lack leadership, I think him not being named a captain would make him step up to become more of a leader in order to become one next year. Oh well, not that it really matters outside of being able to put it on a resume.

BTW how many think Manziel plays in the opener for A&M? They are sort of caught in a limbo, play him and risk having to forfeit the games he competes in if he is found guilty or not play him and have him be found not guilty by the NCAA.

Manziel will play. Sumlin is gone to the NFL after this year regardless if they have to forfeit. A&M is in the SEC now, where doing the right thing < football. I would almost put money on him playing, especially with them

Getting Bama at home like week 3 I think?

I think 8 captains is stupid. He should have picked the top 2-3 to be season captains, then picked from the rest of the pool each game if he wanted to give those guys the honor

Guys, Urban did NOT make anyone a captain. To my knowledge, the team voted for those guys.

There was a vote and those 8 guys were all within 12 votes of each other. Urban of course made the ultimate decision on how many to name.

Here's a text nevada got from one of the "4 wisemen of OSU football" as he calls them (Earle Bruce is one of them, Archie I believe is another, have never really nailed down the other 2) that maybe better explains what I was trying to say...

"I think this demonstrates how desperately this particular squad is in need of team leaders---maybe moreso that any team in recent memory

Coach is recognizing that and is "spreading the responsibility" amongst eight guys, in an effort to have a leadership core emerge---as there really aren't clear cut candidates"

That's not a real good sign heading into a year with such high expectations...

I also found this to be a bit strange:

"Ohio State coach Urban Meyer announced Tuesday after practice that eight student-athletes will serve as Ohio State game captains for the 2013 season with a decision coming at the end of the year as to who will be recognized as the season's official team captains."

Time for the big man Chris Carter to take advantage of this opportunity. All he really has to do is plug a hole and eat up double teams, dude is 365lbs, he should be able to atleast do that.

You mean Kimbo Slice

Haha yeah he does look like Kimbo. I think we'll see a lot of guys rotating at different spots on the line. Sort of like when Simon would line up at DT one play and move to end on another.

Should see a good bit of that with Washington, Bennett and Bosa. Spence and Marcus on the outside on passing downs should be fun to watch.

Johnny Manziel suspended for half

Updated: August 28, 2013, 3:26 PM ET

ESPN.com news services

Johnny Football will start the season on the bench.

Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback Johnny Manziel of No. 7 Texas A&M has been suspended for the first half of Saturday's season opener against the Rice Owls, a source told ESPN's Brett McMurphy on Wednesday afternoon.

An agreement has been reached between the NCAA and Texas A&M that a source told ESPN's McMurphy closes the book on Manziel's recent issues.

The NCAA has acknowledged Manziel did not receive money for signing autographs, the source said.

The NCAA had been investigating whether Manziel was paid for autographs, a potential violation of amateurism rules that could threaten his eligibility.

Texas A&M staff and players had been instructed early this week by school officials not to talk about Manziel.

However, after not discussing the matter Tuesday, coach Kevin Sumlin broke his silence about how Manziel has dealt with off-field distractions during the SEC teleconference Wednesday.

"Johnny's handled it very well," Sumlin said. "Everything around football, he's been extremely sharp and focused."

Sumlin said Tuesday that the coaches have plans for any number of situations that could happen with their players and team, and that they plan for the possible absence of players every week.

NCAA investigators spent a large chunk of Sunday with Manziel, questioning him about allegations from memorabilia dealers that he accepted payments for autographs, a source familiar with the investigation told ESPN.com on Monday night.

While Sumlin wouldn't discuss Manziel's availability for Week 1, he had no problem talking about whether football has helped the quarterback deal with everything going on off the field.

"I know he likes to play football," Sumlin said. "I think the structure that he has had since Aug. 4 has been nothing but helpful."

In Manziel's absence, the Aggies will use either junior Matt Joeckel or freshman Kenny Hill Joeckel is more of a pocket passer and Hill is a dual-threat quarterback. Joeckel has thrown just 11 passes in his college career. Hill, who starred at Texas high school powerhouse Southlake Carroll (near Dallas), threw for 2,291 yards and 20 TDs and ran for 905 yards and 22 more scores as a senior last season.

Sumlin said the competition between the two is ongoing and that he's been pleased with the progress of both players. He said it helps the team because it's allowed all quarterbacks to get work with the first team.

Sumlin said is confident that Texas A&M's offense will be OK no matter who's running the show because of its offensive line. The group, led by left tackle Jake Matthews, is expected to be a strength despite losing Joeckel's twin brother, Luke Joeckel, who was selected second overall in the NFL draft by Jacksonville. Matthews, son of NFL Hall of Famer Bruce Matthews, will be joined on the line this season by younger brother Mike Matthews at center.

"We've got a really solid offensive line which takes a little bit of the pressure off Matt and Kenny," Sumlin said. "When Johnny's taking snaps, when he's in there, he's really trying to help the perimeter guys. Our offensive line gives us an opportunity to rotate those quarterbacks and have them be successful."

The uncertainty surrounding Manziel had put a damper on the excitement surrounding the Aggies, who finished 11-2 in their first season as a member of the SEC. Without naming Manziel, Sumlin was asked how he balances the needs of a player over those of the team. He likened his team to a family, saying many things are done and said behind closed doors that the public will never know about.

But he did share his philosophy on leading the Aggies.

"There's nothing more important than the team," he said. "We talk to them about what we expect from them on the field, what we expect from them off the field and what we expect from them effort-wise and accountability-wise and being able to trust each other."

Information from ESPN.com's Brett McMurphy, Travis Haney and The Associated Press was used in this report.

http://espn.go.com/college-foo...pener-rice-owls