Very Official 2013 Football Thread

Dr. Pomade

Christ, a couple weeks ago he was the Heisman front runner in some people's opinion....

There's way too little to judge him on. From the little we've seen there's some improvement but it was with a limited playbook and his running being restricted by the play calling and just the team not needing him to run against Buffalo.

He could come back from this knee thing and have the full playbook finally at his disposal against Wisconsin and for the rest of the season and tear it up. I don't think there's been any indication that we should expect that yet but it's possible.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I believe you. He looked awesome in that first 5min against Cal. LOL.

It's not just me. Guiton has issues with the mid range routes due to arm strength and issues with going through progressions. What makes him look better than Miller is his absolute understanding of the zone read. Guiton runs the zone read to perfection.

Guiton would make an awesome scout team QB for a number of NFL squads (especially as so many of them are trying to figure out defending the zone read). I really hope he gets picked up next year for that. Dude won't ever see the field, but he could be a very important member of the organization.

Just because you are a Heisman front runner doesn't mean you are going to be a great pro or drafted high. Look at most Heisman winners they are generally bust at the next level and vice versa, a guy that is not heard of much in college ends up being a stud in the NFL. I think if Braxton were to go pro this year as a qb he is a 4th-5th round pick. To me he is a bigger, slower Denard Robinson. Hell most people think Manziel is a 2nd-4th round pick depending on who is discussing it. Mel Kiper was just on ESPN the other day ripping Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith a new one cause they were arguing he was 1st round material.

I wonder how much Braxton plays this week, he is listed as probable at the moment. Hopefully he can start, get some good reps, put OSU up by 28 or so and allow Guiton to come in and not risk any more injury to Braxton. One thing I have noticed this year is starters are staying in longer than I would like to see them. OSU was up by over 20 vs Cal and yet all the first string offensive guys were in the game. I would've liked to see Cardale Jones in at QB so Guiton wasn't at risk and would like to see some of the other WR's. So far we have only seen 4 of them really (Philly, Smith, Spencer and Fields).

Zack any word on if/if not Dunn and Michael Thomas are going to redshirt this year? Both of them looked like contributors last year but have yet to see the field this year. I hear the rumor on Dunn is he refuses to play special teams and that is apparently a big no no to Urban.

OSU's biggest lead vs. Cal was 21-0 and obviously that was real early. It got back within 10 in no time and when OSU is going just as fast as Cal was things can turn in the blink of an eye. Wasn't much room to put a guy who is completely untested (Jones) in the game.

Your comparison of Braxton to Denard is hilariously bad so I'll pretend I didn't read it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Braxton sat this game out again. OSU opened as 57-point favorites (have seen it down to 50/50.5 now though). This is a game where we could finally see Cardale. Up 5-6 TD's and bring in all the reserves.

No idea on Dunn and Thomas. If neither of them see the field in any capacity this week then barring injury to other guys I don't see why you'd waste a year of eligibility.

Why laugh at the comparison? Both are better with their feet than they are their arms, both seem to get injured every time they are touched and neither will be an NFL quarterback. I really don't see the hilariously bad portion of that comparison? Denard was a pretty good college player and seems to be a decent person, I don't think it was a knock on Braxton, just who he reminds me of. He doesn't do anything with his arm that makes you say "oh damn!" but with his feet he does. He is slower than Denard and bigger as I stated.

I don't think Denard and Braxton are anywhere in the same league. I really do believe Denard was an athlete and Braxton really is a quarterback.

The jury is still out on Braxton for this season. We haven't seen enough of him against anyone relevant to really see his improvements. At this point, we have seen a traditional week 1 (working out the kinks) offense and then he went out on injury.

At the end of the day, we are extremely lucky. We are lucky enough to have one of the best starting quarterbacks in the NCAA, and have a backup that is honestly probably a top 25-30 QB in the NCAA.

People always trip about how good Guiton is. Remember, he is still a quarterback for THE Ohio State University, and a 5th year senior. He was recruited at one time for a reason.

Either way we go, this particular game is in the bag. I am stoked for the 8pm game against Wisconsin.

Anyone else notice Wisconsin only dropped 3 spots in the loss? Everyone knows that was a bullshit call, even the voters. They are still #24, so hopefully low 20's by next week.

He does it with both

That's one play, I am sure Denard made at least one throw like that. Maybe Braxton will come out and light the world on fire passing the ball this year and next, until then I stand behind the comparison. BTW I was at that game and it was nuts, ended up on the field which was pretty damn cool.

I don't, I just don't have him confused with "sling the ball where-ever-the-fuck" Denard Robinson. Ha

Meh, Braxton isn't exactly the epitome of accuracy or good decision making. In fact, sometimes Braxton should sling the ball into the third row of the stands, but doesn't.

Sophmore year vs Somphmore year Denard was better in every category lol (he did throw 5 more interceptions than Braxton). My biggest issue with Braxton is his lack of trust he has with the other playmakers on the team. It seems a lot of times he decides to keep the ball cause he thinks he is the only one that can make a play. I don't think Hall would have the stats he has right now if Braxton had been in there the entire time.

Meh, Braxton isn't exactly the epitome of accuracy or good decision making. In fact, sometimes Braxton should sling the ball into the third row of the stands, but doesn't.

Sophmore year vs Somphmore year Denard was better in every category lol (he did throw 5 more interceptions than Braxton). My biggest issue with Braxton is his lack of trust he has with the other playmakers on the team. It seems a lot of times he decides to keep the ball cause he thinks he is the only one that can make a play. I don't think Hall would have the stats he has right now if Braxton had been in there the entire time.

Agree with both. Braxton does make some dumb ass plays and he gets injured so much because of his lack of trust of others. Supposedly he grew up this offseason, but haven't seen enough of him to verify.

I have another peeve about the way fans are analyzing this year's defense

I'm sick of hearing people whine about "not enough pressure, this D-Line isn't that good, not enough pressure". Well OSU has played 3 teams that use quick passes and lots of 3 step drops in order to avoid the pass rush, and OSU currently sits at 7 sacks, 2.33 per game, which is 9th most in the NCAA (9th most by amount, not ranking)

Hopefully we see Braxton throwing more and not running as much. With the talent OSU has in the backfield the only time he should be running is when he absolutely needs to.

I have another peeve about the way fans are analyzing this year's defense

I'm sick of hearing people whine about "not enough pressure, this D-Line isn't that good, not enough pressure". Well OSU has played 3 teams that use quick passes and lots of 3 step drops in order to avoid the pass rush, and OSU currently sits at 7 sacks, 2.33 per game, which is 9th most in the NCAA (9th most by amount, not ranking)

I think the line is playing pretty well and has potential to be great. I really like what I see out of Joey Bosa. Again that unit is playing with some injuries and not at 100% of where they should be by seasons end.

Line was getting great push against Cal. Just like LJ said though teams are doing nothing but quick passes. This happens pretty much every year against the lesser OOC opponents. They know their lines can't hold up long enough so nothing but screens, quick passes and largely unsuccessful runs.

As for Braxton, definitely agree with holding onto the ball too long sometimes. Needs to get rid of it or take off sooner. That's part of him wanting to show he's more than just an athlete playing QB. But that's mental. He has the physical tools to be an NFL QB. Denard never did.

Supposedly this is gonna be the last FCS school OSU is going to schedule for a long time

I really hope so. This year has been brutally boring thus far. I miss playing that one big power early on...Texas, USC, Miami. I know we've got some good ones coming up. Va Tech (decent), Oklahoma (I think?), and Oregon.

I really hope so. This year has been brutally boring thus far. I miss playing that one big power early on...Texas, USC, Miami. I know we've got some good ones coming up. Va Tech (decent), Oklahoma (I think?), and Oregon.

Pretty sure Cal was in the top 10 when OSU scheduled then. Schedules that are made this far out are really just hard to predict. Think about the schools that got Michigan during the RR years?

Pretty sure Cal was in the top 10 when OSU scheduled then. Schedules that are made this far out are really just hard to predict. Think about the schools that got Michigan during the RR years?

Maybe for 1 or 2 years, but I don't think Cal has been consistently good since maybe the 70s?