How's your daily hustle?

Miller

This thread drives the point home to me that it's "no country for old men" as the saying goes.

When I was growing up, many adults told me stories about my father, how he helped them, how he was a great man, an honest man, how he was someone you could count on without reservation. He was a businessman who closed deals with a handshake, not a contract drawn up by a lawyer. A prominent man who had known my father since WWII once told me that my father's word was NOT as good as gold ...... it was better than gold, ".....because the price of gold fluctuates," he said with a smile.

My father taught me that if a cashier made a mistake and gave me too much change, I needed to return the overage. "If you don't, you just found out how cheaply your integrity can be bought."

To the best of my knowledge, Dad never lied to a salesman to get a better price, he never made a fuss and went "up the ladder" to get freebies, and he never found a price for his integrity. And I can tell you that his life was filled with more true friends and good will than any amount of money could buy. I just wish I could be more like my Dad.

Boom, thread-headshot

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread drives the point home to me that it's "no country for old men" as the saying goes.

When I was growing up, many adults told me stories about my father, how he helped them, how he was a great man, an honest man, how he was someone you could count on without reservation. He was a businessman who closed deals with a handshake, not a contract drawn up by a lawyer. A prominent man who had known my father since WWII once told me that my father's word was NOT as good as gold ...... it was better than gold, ".....because the price of gold fluctuates," he said with a smile.

My father taught me that if a cashier made a mistake and gave me too much change, I needed to return the overage. "If you don't, you just found out how cheaply your integrity can be bought."

To the best of my knowledge, Dad never lied to a salesman to get a better price, he never made a fuss and went "up the ladder" to get freebies, and he never found a price for his integrity. And I can tell you that his life was filled with more true friends and good will than any amount of money could buy. I just wish I could be more like my Dad.

You can go to Jolly pirate donuts and take a two hour shit for all I care.

• Downvote 1

Bartering and dealing is not only fun but beneficial. You just got married so start practicing.

Bartering and dealing is okay, and getting a price match is fine... but intentionally being an asshole to someone in order to try to "work the system" just to get something free/cheap is not okay... it just makes you a cheap asshole. I hope you are not also the person who is rude to waiting staff at a nice restaurant in an attempt to get a free meal, or if the food/service isnt perfect you do the same. Based on your story though, I get that feeling.

When I see those people acting out being assholes just to try to get something for free, it just seems sad and pathetic to me, and if you took the time to look around and see how people were looking at you, you would realize what a jackass you look like doing that. No one is high 5'ing you being a dick, bro.

Your father sounds a lot like the way my grandfather raised me. Just a different generation back then I suppose. People cared about integrity and being a good moral citizen. I think he raised me well, and I try to live my life the same way. I find being kind and honorable gets me a lot better rewards in the long term than just being an asshole. I would like to think there is a reason why being a return customer to the places I go, I get discounts and great pricing without having to ask for it... I respect them, and I get respect in return.

• Upvote 1

Bartering and dealing is okay, and getting a price match is fine... but intentionally being an asshole to someone in order to try to "work the system" just to get something free/cheap is not okay... it just makes you a cheap asshole. I hope you are not also the person who is rude to waiting staff at a nice restaurant in an attempt to get a free meal, or if the food/service isnt perfect you do the same. Based on your story though, I get that feeling.

When I see those people acting out being assholes just to try to get something for free, it just seems sad and pathetic to me, and if you took the time to look around and see how people were looking at you, you would realize what a jackass you look like doing that. No one is high 5'ing you being a dick, bro.

Whose this faggot with the tuba?

What do you think they (anyone within earshot, including customers) were calling you when you left the dealership?

You've missed the mark. I understand you're feeling a rustle right now. This douche-bag on CR, Miller - walkin' roun like he's King Tut - slapping plates out of waitresses hands and shit.

"Clumsy bitch! Got liquor on my shirt! Ruined a good shirt and police gonna think I'm a drunk. I demand lifetime coupons!"

Or

"There was a hair in that! Gimme a free meal"

"Sir, our entire staff is bald. Some of them even have cancer".

Give me a free meal anyway! Tell'em I'll make a donation to the graveyard!"

You live a in a different city and know shit about me. I take very good care of friends, family, acquaintances and most strangers. I just like to find a deal on higher ticket items.

Is that Ok with you?

I think you can have integrity and still negotiate. Does it take integrity to pay retail at a big box store whose CEO makes millions?

I had a relationship with some salesman at HHGreg. I had access to the cost price lists that they were paying minus any bulk kick backs they may have been receiving. I bought all my TVs and a mattress there over the years, all price matched to my cost price. I saved thousands, the salesman got his commissions and the store made a bit on volume kickbacks. Instead of paying an online retailer, I helped a dude in a red shirt get a little closer to his monthly quota.

your dad sounds like he was a good man.....something for you to be proud of. My dad was very similar to that. He never really had much money wise but he was very successful in other areas of his life. I was blown away by the amount of people that attended his funeral and everyone had all these stories of things he'd done for people that I never knew about.

Another one:

When I bought my Evo, I was particularly young looking. They assigned me the dopey salesman who was new and knew nothing, assuming some young kid wouldn't be buying the car in the middle of the showroom.

I came prepared with the price from a socal dealer who had bought up inventory to have dibs on the next model (the 10) and a shipping quote of an enclosed car carrier. They matched it and I drove away paying far less than most. I actually sold that car for only slightly less than I paid more than 2 years later.

Another one:

When I bought my Evo, I was particularly young looking. They assigned me the dopey salesman who was new and knew nothing, assuming some young kid wouldn't be buying the car in the middle of the showroom.

I came prepared with the price from a socal dealer who had bought up inventory to have dibs on the next model (the 10) and a shipping quote of an enclosed car carrier. They matched it and I drove away paying far less than most. I actually sold that car for only slightly less than I paid more than 2 years later.

Well, I'm going to scold you real good and negative rep you for being a dishonorable bastard. Just you wait!

http://media.withtank.com/3aa1812470.jpg

You with the sad eyes

Don't be discouraged

Oh, I realize

It's hard to take courage

In a world full of people

You can lose sight of it all

And the darkness inside you

Can make you feel so small

But I see your true colors

Shining through

I see your true colors

And that's why I love you

So don't be afraid to let them show

Your true colors

True colors

Are beautiful like a rainbow

Show me a smile then,

Don't be unhappy

Can't remember when

I last saw you laughing

If this world makes you crazy

And you've taken all you can bear

You call me up

Because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors

Shining through

I see your true colors

Your true colors

Your true colors

(Can't remember when I last saw you laughing)

If this world makes you crazy

And you've taken all you can bear

You call me up

Because you know I'll be there

And I'll see your true colors

Shining through

I see your true colors

Your true colors

True colors

True colors are shining through

I see your true colors

Your true colors

True colors

1) On topic, I have no issue with negotiating/haggling/etc... I have done similar things at furniture stores/hardware stores/etc.... using things like ShopSavvy on my phone to get the best price... I thought the first one, were you made it very clear, you were being a dickhead intentionally to get free stuff, is just stupid.

2) Who in the hells nuts do I swing from? That is laughable. I might agree with the people you mentioned above from time to time, and say that as such. But I would love to see posts that could be conceived as nut swinging? I state my opinion on matters, and may involve agreeing with or disagreeing with someone... This time I had a reasonable association with something Doc said?

3) I do not own a single pair of jean shorts, thanks though. :lol: But yea... male pattern baldness FTL...

4) Never claimed to be rich? Not sure what my income status has to do with anything either? You're right I make an "okay" income.

5) I am still better than you. Pretty much the best I know of, really...

6) Eat shit, ricer.

:lol:

I did go to a C&C early last summer. I met Wagner, Cordell, Doc, and a couple others I think? I think you were with a few other guys standing around? I know the group of guys I was talking to (around the yellow c6) were talking about the "dorky CR trolls" being over there, and pointing to a group, not sure if you were one? I only remember hte name Paul being brought up?

But no, I was not wearing jean shorts, lol. I honestly dont remember what I was wearing, but I doubt it was shorts of any kind, and I certainly own zero jorts :lol: , most likely jeans as it was cold from what I remember... I wonder if i can find a picture. :lol:

No pictures found... it was 3/17...

http://www.columbusracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101649&highlight=Coffee

BTW, Miller, I never said you were a 'bad person'. Im sure you do help family/friends/strangers when they need it.. Im making a comment in reference to the story you told... try to think about it objectively, or from the shoes of the dude you were harassing at the dealership?