Get rid of cable?

zeitgeist57

At our house, 90% of what we watch is Internet-based, either in movies or tv programs downloaded. We don't have a landline phone, b'cuz it's not 1988 anymore.

Is there a good option to continue receiving Internet access (possibly at a better speed) for less money than cable+Internet together? We pay around $150 a month. Thanks!

Howdjadoit.jpg

Uhh, call your cable provider and tell them to come pick up your boxes and turn off your cable but not Internet. That's pretty normal pricing for good Internet only, iirc we are $50/month for 15mb down with WOW. But most places are right around that level.

It sounds like you already know how to do streaming to your tv, but if you need any tips in that area just ask. :)

Howdjadoit.jpg

Insight internet + RR turbo addon. I used to have cable tv and DVR with insight. One day I told them I only want the internet. They turned it off and told me to drop of the DVR at their office. It isn't that hard to do. Walk into the office with your DVR box and see what happens.

$35 a month for me, the Time Warner 3mbit tier is just fine for one dude in an apartment. Also the $8 a month for netflix. Everything else its torrents and I watch tons and tons of shows on YouTube. YouTube could practically be considered a cable provider now.

I wanted WOW, but its not offered where I live.

The fastest internet you're going to get around here (50 down/5 up) is right around ~$100/month by itself. Get something cheaper like the 30/3, toss on all your services like Netflix, Amazon Instant Streaming, Hulu, maybe pay for some newsgroups (have never done that, always torrented but I know some on here are hardcore newsgroups people) and you'll have everything there is to have.

I've been thinking for the longest time about switching to just cable and Netflix. As it is I pay around $140 for internet, cable, and netflix. I'd do it if they wouldn't blackout local NHL games on Gamecenter. The main reason I have cable is to watch the Blue Jackets.

As soon as Jetflicks releases their apps on gaming systems, I'm done with cable. $50/yr and it has new shows on the day after they air and all seasons of each show. I think the only stations they don't carry are MTV and HBO. It was the best money I had ever spent when I traveled for work.

I've been thinking for the longest time about switching to just cable and Netflix. As it is I pay around $140 for internet, cable, and netflix. I'd do it if they wouldn't blackout local NHL games on Gamecenter. The main reason I have cable is to watch the Blue Jackets.

There are ways around that.

I disconnected my cable to rewire my wall, fixed the wall and my cable was disconnected for three months. Cancelled it, and home phone. U-Verse gave me a rate of $37 just to keep me as a customer. The promotional rate just expired after a year so I'm back up to $43.

exact same boat i am in, well that and OSU games but shit there are only 13 or those a year and i usually go out to watch buckeye football games anyway. I have a smart bluray player, that plus netflix and maybe hulu+ (i think their shows are more up to date?) i wouldnt even need to pay for cable. But i wouldnt be able to watch any CBJ games on the tv.

As soon as Jetflicks releases their apps on gaming systems, I'm done with cable. $50/yr and it has new shows on the day after they air and all seasons of each show. I think the only stations they don't carry are MTV and HBO. It was the best money I had ever spent when I traveled for work.

how does jetflicks work? I went to their site and I didn't see any pricing models... Do they have an app for media center? Cause I'm in the process of setting up a media center server now, so streaming to game consoles is easy to do at that point.