Subaru WRX / STi

EVO X

Various Audi's are AWD

Nissan 370z

Infiniti G35/37 AWD and RWD

Subaru Legacy GT Turbo AWD

Used BMW 335i

Hyundai Genesis 2.0t or 3.8

I'm anti buying brand new personally I prefer to let someone else take the hit.

I'd never considered buying new until I drove the ST. I'm wary of used performance cars, though, always just thought of it as buying someone else's problems. All those cars are nice, and the LGT was tops on my list until I saw the crackhead prices people want for them.

However, none of those cars gets 32 hwy mpg IIRC.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive been going back and forth on a new one of these a new GTI or 2011+ WRX but I decided Im going to go with the WRX come spring time. Ive seen 300 wheel out of the STs with basic bolt-ons and a tune but with FWD how much is that power usable. Thats the main reason I decided on a WRX since I don't plan to keep it stock.

So stoplight racing is 17 year old stuff.

What is roll racing? :gabe:

CR 30 somethings trying to be 17 again.

Screw stoplights, even in 2nd /3rd gear when it's cold, there is just no traction at all.:dumb:

True but screw fucking around on frozen roads regardless.

Ive also heard you'll want to change out the rear motor mount.

Yeah that seems to be the first thing anyone does. That + green filter.

Any one know why? Is it just trying to curb performance loss? I'll be honest I've never modified a car I owned, other than the janky ass Apache.

Poor man, you need to try AWD sometime..

I have. Great stuff but from a perspective on how I drive and living in Ohio, the AWD need would go unused most of the time.

Aren't you a 40 something?

I'll be 39 forever. I also don't make a habit of roll racing. I drive how I drive to get where I'm going for me not to entertain someone on the road with me.

Any one know why? Is it just trying to curb performance loss? I'll be honest I've never modified a car I owned, other than the janky ass Apache.

In the MS3 stock the motor mount is mush and at WOT you'd miss third gear as the motor is twisting too much. Drove me fucking nuts in both 2nd and 3rd. Simple swap ended that and keeps things firmed up nicely. Once swapped I've never had an issue. Not sure if the ST will suffer the same thing.

In the MS3 stock the motor mount is mush and at WOT you'd miss third gear as the motor is twisting too much. Drove me fucking nuts in both 2nd and 3rd. Simple swap ended that and keeps things firmed up nicely. Once swapped I've never had an issue. Not sure if the ST will suffer the same thing.

Considering everyone who I've talked to has replaced theirs, it's likely.

Considering everyone who I've talked to has replaced theirs, it's likely.

Ive heard with the stock mount the motor torques so much the turbo will smack the firewall which is what the loud bang everyone is complaining about in 1st-2nd shift. Ford should of worried a little less about noise and road vibration and a little more about that.

My buddy owns one. I have drove it and will be driving it a lot this summer. At 300 miles we ran a Caliber SRT with ECU tune and exhaust and got walked lol. Now the ST has a tune, downpipe, catback, and an intake. No numbers yet. Personally the car is fun to drive. He also ditched the stock wheels for a set of OZ Superleggaras.

I think they are good looking cars. Ford is making some good looking cars lately. Fusion looks the best it ever has, the Lincoln version MKZ looks even better. Mustangs look great, and for an SUV the Ford Edge Sport looks nice too but kinda expensive.

Good for you, buy/drive what you want. Nice purchase, maybe a cars and coffee appearance once you get it?

I can't like any of the hot hatches other than the Speed3 simply because they use e-diffs and have smaller turbos. The ST, GTi, etc. all use a K03 versus the Speed3's K04, so there is inherently more power potential there for the same money. Does the ST have direct injection? As much as I dislike the way a lot of these front-driver turbos put the power down, at least the Speed3 gets phenomenal gas mileage, especially on the freeway. On the upside, I like the Focus' styling, and it does sound neat.

I think they are good looking cars. Ford is making some good looking cars lately. Fusion looks the best it ever has, the Lincoln version MKZ looks even better. Mustangs look great, and for an SUV the Ford Edge Sport looks nice too but kinda expensive.

Good for you, buy/drive what you want. Nice purchase, maybe a cars and coffee appearance once you get it?

I'll definitely try to make it to some meets.

I'm always open to compliments/criticism. For every thing that an FWD 4dr hatch does worse than a RWD/AWD coupe, there's something it does better, at least for my life. And it doesn't matter if you show up with the world's nicest Mustang that runs the quarter in 3.9 seconds and tops out at 292mph, there's always gonna be some douche canoe saying "Sure it's nice but I bet for the same money on a Camaro platform you could run 3.8 and 293mph".

Can't make everyone happy, so I'll just stick to making me happy. Without going full retard, that is.

EDIT: Tripleskate, it is direct injected, actually does about 10% better on MPG than MS3.

What color Alex? A guy at work has one in big bird with the yellow seat accents. I hate that scheme.

Tuxedo Black Metallic exterior, Black/Performance Blue Recaro seats. A friend of mine had a similar color scheme on his STi a while back and I really liked it.

Haven't decided what I'll do appearance-wise. I saw a black car with stock wheels coated black and a light tint that I really liked, but I also like biting the STi gold wheel style. I really don't like the stock color of the wheels on the ST, though I do like the design.

So stoplight racing is 17 year old stuff.

What is roll racing? :gabe:

I recently drove a stage2 GTI, if maybe for all of 20-30 minutes.

(First FWD car I've driven in years and years). By the end of the drive, I was sure, I'd rather stick a hot poker in my peehole than ever have a FWD car again. Screw stoplights, even in 2nd /3rd gear when it's cold, there is just no traction at all.:dumb:

:gabe:

Ive been going back and forth on a new one of these a new GTI or 2011+ WRX but I decided Im going to go with the WRX come spring time. Ive seen 300 wheel out of the STs with basic bolt-ons and a tune but with FWD how much is that power usable. Thats the main reason I decided on a WRX since I don't plan to keep it stock.

Consider waiting for the MK7 GTI. It'll have more hp, larger turbo, mechanical LSD, and be the class leader, yet again.

AWD>FWD, however.

I'll never go back to FWD, but my GTI was an absolute blast for what it was.

OP, when you get your ST, we should do a few pull with my Golf R.

Deal. How are you liking yours? Totally different class of car than Abarth, yet my customers cross-shop them.

I love it. Base 2dr car, picked it up for 32k. Its a little sluggish under 3k with the factory tuned K04, but it pulls all the way to redline, unlike my k03. Love the AWD, it really increased the handling capability of the Golf chassis. In fact, its shocking how well this thing handles and brakes. Its a VERY capable car, and now that there is fully defeatable ESP (OEM button works like ROW now), its incredibly fun. It has Bi-Xenon lights with AFS (turn with steering wheel), hill hold, etc. The interior is awesome, base head unit is excellent (bluetooth, streaming audio, SD card slot, Ipod hookup, aux hookup, sat radio, 6 disc (still?), HD radio, touchscreen, but the speakers suck badly.

I have springs and a rear sway bar coming, as well as a helmet for this years season. Should be fun!

Get some dart in there too

Fine

I'll say it collectively for CR, Dart LOL

This