Y-Pipe Mods and Performance Question

wagner

So before I go and do something I regret, I need some information on modifying a Y-Pipe.

Background:

I am currently running Pacesetter headers with a Texas Speed Y-Pipe to a Magnaflow cat back exhaust on my Trans Am. I purchased a Spohn body mount torque arm that includes the drive shaft safety loop thinking it would fit, well because it fit my other car without issue.

The problem I have run into is that the Spohn unit does not fit with the Texas Speed Y-Pipe and I did not figure this out until we had the car in the air trying to get it on, and some extra research on-line.

From what I have read, this combination can be made to work with extensive modifications to the Y-Pipe and the rest of the exhaust.

My only options are:

- to get a new exhaust and or Y-pipe to use this current torque arm (causing me to lose ground clearance).

-get a torque arm mount that relocates the arm off the transmission, seperate DSL, and long style torque arm (I know Scott really got this combo to work well enough to yank the front wheels on his car.)

- try and hack up this current exhaust and get this torque arm to work (I think this is the cheapest route)

Questions:

Is hacking up this Y-Pipe going to cause unforeseen tuning or performance issues?

Anybody else had this type of issue before or hack up a y-pipe and how did it work out?

I would rather do this the correct way and leave the money factor off the table.

Coming from a guy who regrets making a hack or two...

How much can you get back from the Spohn? Unless you're absolutely married to that torque arm, I'd consider a better TA before hacking up a perfectly good Y-pipe.

Hang on...I'm getting a phone call...

It's Cleetus. He's calling me from my driveway...

What's that, Cleetus? Yeah, he drives it on the street...

Cleetus says "header dumps at the collectors".

Coming from a guy who regrets making a hack or two...

How much can you get back from the Spohn? Unless you're absolutely married to that torque arm, I'd consider a better TA before hacking up a perfectly good Y-pipe.

Hang on...I'm getting a phone call...

It's Cleetus. He's calling me from my driveway...

What's that, Cleetus? Yeah, he drives it on the street...

Cleetus says "header dumps at the collectors".

I can will get back what I paid for the Spohn. The only thing I am married to is making this bitch go fast and do work, everything else is second.

Tell Cleetus the thought crossed my mind to run headers straight to a couple of race mufflers, that would sound bad ass after the cam swap...

I have the short tq arm on my car and it gives tons of room. I also have true duals and I have not scrapped on anything. Have you thought about that option?

Thought about true duals, just not sure on the cost to go that route and get it done right. By the time I buy all the parts and pay to have a shop do it I am at or above the cost of a long torque arm set up.

I really like the exhaust on the car right now because it does not attract much attention.

When you say "hack" the y pipe. What actually needs done? Extend it out a little, bump it over out of the way?

If your not mangling the y pipe I would "adjust" it to make it work.

Or have BP custom build a new one.

It would need to be made much shorter on where the Y is, and then lenght added to the other end.

I have sold the current arm I have and now will look at a few other options.

To me cutting this pipe up was not going to work, and if I have Alex do a custom pipe it will need to be done around the arm I get.

Really thinking about going all out and getting this unit, but it will hurt the street driving even more of the car.

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=320

Next option will be these items working together (might go with UMI on these since everything else under the car is UMI)

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=315

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=329

http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=249

Your more than wwlcome to come over and look at mine if you want. Its up on jack stands since im pulling the tranny. Will be working on it on sat if ypu wanna shoot by.

I might hit you up depending on how much I have going on.