the Z/28 is back!

pontiacfreak142

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, sounds intense. Just combing over the article...300 pounds lighter than the ZL1, 3 seconds quicker around the 'Ring...crazy.

And 500hp...Boss 302, what say you?

Boss 302 LOL. GM back on top it seems, finally.

Wow, sounds intense. Just combing over the article...300 pounds lighter than the ZL1, 3 seconds quicker around the 'Ring...crazy.

And 500hp...Boss 302, what say you?

i am going to be curious if they do/say anything. motortrend tried to do a 1le/boss comparo, but ford tried to say the boss was out of its league, only 1 week after car and drivers lightning lap in which the 1le posted a better lap time.... so if priced right, would be a huge smack in the face

I still don't like the looks, I don't like the interior as well, but hot damn what a spec sheet. This is the package I've been waiting on Ford to do to the Mustang. The track rat in me says I may have to convert to Chevy for this car.....

Talk about a track car...

Extensive lightweighting saved 300 pounds over the Camaro ZL1

To optimize the track performance of the Camaro Z/28, the engineering team subjected it to an intensive lightweighting program, saving 100 pounds (45 kilograms) compared to the naturally aspirated Camaro SS and 300 pounds (136 kilograms) to the supercharged Camaro ZL1.

“We looked at every subsystem for opportunities to save weight,” said Oppenheiser. “Our goal was to get rid of everything that didn’t make the car faster, and keep only what was required by law. For example, we wanted to eliminate the audio system completely, but we had to keep a single speaker for the seat-belt chime to meet safety requirements.”

Other examples of weight savings include:

• Eliminated the tire-inflator kit, except for Rhode Island and New Hampshire, where it is required by law
  • Removed interior sound deadener, and carpeting from the trunk
  • Replaced the standard LN4 battery with a smaller, lightweight, LN3 battery
  • Specified thinner, 3.2-mm glass for the rear window, compared to 3.5-mm glass on the standard Camaro
  • HID headlamps and foglights are not available
  • Air conditioning is only available as a stand-alone option

“The team was so fanatical about saving weight, we even stripped the unused wiring out of the harness when we eliminated the fog lights, speakers, and air conditioning,” said Oppenheiser. “Every ounce saved contributed to making this the most track-capable Camaro we have ever built, and a worthy successor to the Z/28 name.”

All that for 100lbs...uh, no thanks..