My ride on OH-555.

chicagosfinest

I didn't think going into it that it wasn't going to be hard, nor that I would be without worry or stress.. But I was surprised.

I was out that way with a group of my friends who recreationaly race Auto-X and such, and one of their friends who was on a bike (thank god that I wasn't the only rider). Because they had all been there before I got left behind several times, which really wasn't appreciated, but the other rider paced me slowing down in the straight aways so if shit happened we both were somewhat covered.

Had a blast, but it definitely let me know where my riding stands. I hate to make it sound like I was cocky going into it, because I don't think that I was.. but this made me feel like it was my first day on a bike.

The worst feeling ever is looking at an ambulance in my lane doing 35+ right after a turn.. I almost shit myself.

9am-10pm, 2 and a half tanks later I'm worn the fuck out and the only thing on my mind is beer.. Cold beer.

I may or may not have some pictures later.. I need to find out who had a camera.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=zanesville+ohio&daddr=39.834377,-81.993027+to%3Awashington+west+virginia&mrcr=0,1&mrsp=1&sz=11&mra=dpe&dirflg=h&sll=39.766325,-82.017746&sspn=0.239091,0.63858&ie=UTF8&om=1&ll=39.557001,-81.631165&spn=0.959251,2.554321&z=9

I may just be really noob though and thought I wasn't so noobish to riding. But, it beat the crap out of me.. and I loved it.

I also got my beer after I dropped the bike off.. so all is well.

I rode that a few years back on my F3. I was basically a noob when I rode it...and looking back...it was a tough and dangerous ride. We had been out riding for about 5-6 hrs when we hit 555. When we got to Zanesville, I was never happier to see I70. I laid on my tank the entire way back to cbus! With that being said, I'd love to ride it again.

I didn't think going into it that it wasn't going to be hard, nor that I would be without worry or stress.. But I was surprised.

I was out that way with a group of my friends who recreationaly race Auto-X and such, and one of their friends who was on a bike (thank god that I wasn't the only rider). Because they had all been there before I got left behind several times, which really wasn't appreciated, but the other rider paced me slowing down in the straight aways so if shit happened we both were somewhat covered.

Had a blast, but it definitely let me know where my riding stands. I hate to make it sound like I was cocky going into it, because I don't think that I was.. but this made me feel like it was my first day on a bike.

The worst feeling ever is looking at an ambulance in my lane doing 35+ right after a turn.. I almost shit myself.

9am-10pm, 2 and a half tanks later I'm worn the fuck out and the only thing on my mind is beer.. Cold beer.

I may or may not have some pictures later.. I need to find out who had a camera.

Next time your on 555 South, go to SR 78, you will have a blast on the twisties

Rode the 555 for the first time myself a few weeks ago, a couple of blind hills will have you wondering where the road goes on the other side (read me slowing down to about 10mph only to find straight road on the other side). But that happens on all the roads down there. That same weekend did 676, 26, and 260. Outside of dodging gold wings all weekend (that's what kind of luck i have) great riding, definately slept good that night.

78 is one of my favorite rides, I like to get on around Nelsonsville and take it all the way to McConnelsville (sp) there are tons of great sweepers and some tight turns enough to scrape a peg well at least on my bike.

555 has been called Ohio's dragon I haven't made it to the dragon yet so I can't say for sure.

Rode the 555 for the first time myself a few weeks ago, a couple of blind hills will have you wondering where the road goes on the other side (read me slowing down to about 10mph only to find straight road on the other side). But that happens on all the roads down there. That same weekend did 676, 26, and 260. Outside of dodging gold wings all weekend (that's what kind of luck i have) great riding, definately slept good that night.

I was always relieved to see straight on the other side of a hill. I don't know about you though.

It was a hell of a ride, I just wasn't ready for 15mph turns or the occasional gravel. I'd do it again, but I'm selling my bike and moving to Florida here shortly, if everything goes as planned.

Glad you had a decent ride but I still don't get why people love this road when there are so many more awesome roads that attach to that road. 78, 278, 56, 377, 550, 676 and TONS more are all right there and in far better shape than that road and a lot more fun as a result. You can find plenty of technical roads that provide ample amounts of fun without having to worry about the gravel and cinders and blind, sharp unpredictible turns like you do on that road. I rode it about four weeks ago after not riding it in four years and it reminded me of why I avoid it even now and a much better street rider. There might be a couple sections that were nice, but overall it's 95% crap.

Sorry for my vent. If you don't currently have a SE Ohio specific map go to B&N and grab one, purchase a tank bag and go exploring beyond 555. You have no idea what you are missing if you have never done this.