CR Review: 2008, 2011 Mustangs

zeitgeist57

It's been awhile since I've done a test drive thread, and EUREKA!!! I think I'm in love! :)

Went to CarMax on Sawmill: two cars...2008 Mustang GT Convertible (Auto) and a 2011 Mustang V6 coupe (6-speed). My plan: Hammer both cars. Establish if the V6/6-speed is sporty enough for a DD. Without a V8/stick in the convertible, at least figure out if the ride is OK.

2008 GT Convertible -

1) Autotragic - Seriously, despite the German/Japanese advancements in two-pedal motoring, I fkking can't stand automatics. The shifts were slippy-sloppy.

2) Cigarettes - Once you smoke in a car, DAT SMELL AIN'T NEVER COMING BACK. Even if I wanted to spend $4k more than market value on a car at CarMax, that smell would kill it everytime for me.

3) Interior Plastics - I've heard the '05-'11 Mustangs have interior plastics that seem to be ripped out of an '80s Yugo, and the "deluxe interior package" was a lot better. This car didn't have the deluxe interior. It was noticable.

4) Ergonomics - I said that the "modern musclecars" of recent years (Camaro, Challenger, Mustang) are big fat pigs. This convertible is appx 3,700lbs, so my claim sticks. However, the interior does a great job at being roomy, yet giving a great cockpit-like feel for the driver. Visibility for a convertible was surprisingly good, and the seats were comfy. The dash and center controls were all very good. BETTER THAN EXPECTED

5) Cowl Shake - Compared to the '01 Cobra convertible I test drove, this newer Lincoln LS-based chassis was much better. However, over some bad-a$$ bumps the crashing was annoying. Almost too much to handle, still. :(

6) DAT ENGINE - Man, the 4.6L might be a dog compared to other larger plants from GM, Chrysler and Ford itself, but the sound is awesome and the power is definitely well done. That fkking auto kills it though.

Results: The Mustang was a great car, and I really enjoyed the overall package. However, my test-drive was marred by an automatic that I would never own, and hated being a part of. The cowl shake - even a little bit - just made me more upset. On to the V6.

'11 V6 Coupe

1) Interior - slightly better, improved ergonomics. Very nice and a slight step up from the '08 GT, but not too noticable for me to care.

2) Exterior - The rear end of the '11 and newer Mustangs, with the clipped corners, looks SOOO much better than the '05-'10s. Front end as well, but the '08 was still a good looker.

3) V6 - VERY Japanese in feel...reminded me of the 350Z my buddy let me flog, or an Infiniti G37. Not much torque off the line, but pulled like an N/A Audi V8 up to redline - not losing power - and being smooth the entire way. Exhaust note not like the 4.6L...quieter and somewhat disappointing. Great engine overall.

4) 6-speed - Ahhhh...much better. Amazing what a stick will do to liven up the chassis, and the factory shifter was one of the best I've ever felt in a factory setup. Super-short throws and very positive, notchy feel.

Results: Coming from the V8/Auto to V6/Stick was a wake-up call. Where the auto felt pushed, I kept the V6 above 3k rpms around the sweeping curves behind The Andersons over to Sawmill and the rear end was giving a bit, but well-modulated by throttle. The CarMax guy was a little nervous but pleased with my performance.

Last Impressions: I really did like this generation of the Mustang. Wanting the convertible, I was disappointed that they didn't have a stickshift V8 available to drive, but was pleased enough with the car overall, even with the minimal cowl shake. Some subframe connectors and suspension upgrades would be in order for certain. Driving the V6/6-speed really opened my eyes up to how much fun these Mustangs can be to drive. I am very much looking forward to driving a V8-stickshift GT Convertible in the coming months. My Passat has over 162k miles and needs to step down into the role of a winter DD sometime in the next 6-9 months, once we get my house back into order.

If I found an '05-'08 GT Convertible that was well-optioned and tastefully modded for less than $20k, I'm confident I've found a car that replaces the CTS-V in my mind. :thumbup::thumbup:

No stage 3, no care. Blower or nothing :)

On the 4.6L 3V I'd have to agree. Minimal investment required to get to 430+ at the wheels which puts the fun in a whole 'nother bracket.

On the 5.0L, I think there's still something to be said for heating up the N/A versions as an alternative to boosting.

Every time that I see one of your threads, I know better and say to myself, "Don't do it. For the love of Science, don't open that thread.", yet I still end up reading the posts, despite already knowing the outcome. Damnit Clay, go buy the CTS-V.
  • Upvote 1

maybe its the fact that I have always drove V8 mustangs but I dont understand why anyone would want a V6 mustang. Pretty close gas mileage, insurance is the same, it does cost less initially. But being a car person, I would never even think of buying one. And people look at you like you are a woman. Yes, I know newer v6's are faster then say my gt but if you compare it to the gt of the same year its a lot slower.

When you test drove the V6 did they confiscate your man card?

I actually enjoy your car reviews so I won't bash you for not buying what everyone knows you should buy. Keep searching. Have fun along the way. Entertain us. Then buy the CTSv

I test drove a '08 V6 a couple of years ago with a friend who was looking to buy his first Mustang, I have to say since the versions they released a few years before they have come a long way. Sound is better, handling is nice, throttle response is nice with the factory power upgrades they move down the road better than their older generation V8 brothas. Not to mention the dual pipes now on the back of V6s helps get rid of some of the image the single shot turn downs of yesteryears had.

HOWEVER, the Mustang sound out of a V8 is something most of us can literally recognize from blocks away...how could you want anything else? Also on the Auto...I suggest you look into some of the gains found in flash upgrades on those. I know they aren't quite as fun to drive since you don't get the control you do over a manul BUT...

Really your putting the CTS-V in the same class as a V6 mustang?

370z > any v6 mustang

Hyundai Gensis > v6 mustang

BRZ > V6 mustang.

Wet Fart > 370z

Dog poop > Genesis

Cat Turd > Brz

The magic of opinions!

It's clay money, and his views.