CR Review: 2002 BMW M3 Convertible

zeitgeist57

In my continued quest to find a 4-seater convertible for my DD driving enjoyment (during nicer months) as well as having fun with the family, I stopped by Physicians Auto Group and test-drove a silver/black 6-speed M3 convertible. It had 104k miles and the exterior/engine bay were in beautiful shape. The black interior, however, was a mess....reminded me of other non-garaged Florida cars!

Totally unrelated to my residing in UA, I had thought the BMW 3-series convertible would be a great choice: premium brand, great quality, high-resale value, top-notch driving characteristics. As was recommended by others, I should skip all the lower 3-series and go straight to the M3...

Driving: Including the RX-8, there isn't a smoother-revving car I've ever driven. Even with the top down, the exhaust is phenominal, but I want it louder. It's almost TOO smooth, as the little alarm that sounds when you hit a certain speed (set by the dealership in this case) sounded abruptly at 87mph, shocking me out of the stellar highway acceleration experience I was enjoying. Once settled at 70mph on 71, the ride was like buttah; the engine just hummed and the body tightened up. almost no cowl shake, and the ride was tight but compliant. It was a truly incredible car to drive. Admittedly, I've been out of the speed game for awhile, and my mind wasn't operating at a level to keep me out of trouble with the car: my side-mirror glances weren't quick enough to needle through traffic while still monitoring the ever-increasing speed. It was a hot-and-heavy test drive (with salesman in passenger seat!) that really left me wanting more.

Engine: I know they make more powerful engines, but I'm sure not a better inline-6. Knowing BMW engineering and longevity, there's something to be said for having the confidence that your car will still be driving and enjoyable 25-30 years later. Power is strong and linear, like a high-performance N/A German plant should be. I seriously don't understand why people would boost this engine; the balance seems perfect.

Design: For me, the E46 M3 is one of the best looking BMW's next to the E36. the coupes lines are great but lop off the roof and it still looks low-slung and muscular. Front/rear overhang are perfect. Stock body kit is great; aftermarket just ruins it.

Interior: This FL convertible clearly spent (as I lived in FL myself) too much time without a garage. The black leather interior was intact, but seriously stressed. I remember my Corvette and Passat; how rough even a couple of years of occasional all-day parking jobs will kill your interior, even with the windows down. That was the biggest disappointment of THIS car. In terms of interior design, the layout is great and with some front seat adjustments I was able to sit in the back - comfortably - by myself. The German touches and controls reminded me of my Passat with some of the features, and my only gripe about it was that the shitty 2002 Navigation screen was illegible with polarized sunglasses.

For $16.5k, it's a hell of a value. It does have 104k miles on it, but that really just made me appreciate how solid it still felt: Truly a great drivers' car. This is the first car that I am going to get my wife to come drive also. If she likes it, I will try to find a lower-mileage '02-'05 for more money. At least I feel this would truly be a long-term car solution worth investing in; I liked the Mustang but honestly couldn't see my wife being proud of having one in our garage. :lol:

I gotta kick the Mustang out of bed; I definitely see the M3 convertible fitting the bill for me (provided wifey likes it too!) :thumbup::thumbup:

Bonus: Went to Northend Wrench and spoke to Sean (Crossle)...gather his thoughts on the E46 M3. He suggested driving an E36 M3 as well...may try to find a good example of that also...

I said I wouldn't click on this link but lo and behold I did.

Drive a Saab convertible. For less than the price of that BMW, I picked up an Aero convertible with 37,000 miles. Best car I've had so far. If I recall, you're shorter, much shorter than me so there'll be legroom in the back for your kids.

I said I wouldn't click on this link but lo and behold I did.

Drive a Saab convertible. For less than the price of that BMW, I picked up an Aero convertible with 37,000 miles. Best car I've had so far. If I recall, you're shorter, much shorter than me so there'll be legroom in the back for your kids.

FWD = No way jose.

That's fine, I just happen to like the characteristics of FWD more than others.

For DD purposes,fwd isn't so bad, I get the feeling Clay wants to be able to swing the rear around a bit once in a while though :Gabe:

Clay do your reseach before you jump into one of these.

I'm not saying to skip it entirely, but there are a few things that MUST pass inspection before you should buy one. Rear subframe, etc.

Nice cars though.

I'm not saying to skip it entirely, but there are a few things that MUST pass inspection before you should buy one. Rear subframe, etc.

Nice cars though.

^Good idea, yes rear subframe, and list of services done would be nice as well.

Still a great car for the money.

:Gabe:

I know Gabe is banned for a year and there are a lot of powers that be that don't like him... but isn't it kind of dumb to change the name for this smiley since everywhere that it's been used in the past years isn't going to have that smiley anymore?

I have an E36 M3 if you would like to drive one. It's slightly modified, but you are welcome to take it for a spin.

Thank you for the offer! I'd be happy to take you up on that, but I will also be looking for an E36 M3 convertible as well...

Nice cars though.

Yup. Despite me knowing that this was a Clay thread, I came in here when I saw "2002" and "M3" in the description. E46's can be great, great cars, or they can be catastrophes. It's worth the $100-200 to pay an Indy mechanic (a la Northend Wrench, or similar) to give it a once over before signing any paperwork.

It's worth the $100-200 to pay an Indy mechanic (a la Northend Wrench, or similar) to give it a once over before signing any paperwork.

Why I appreciated Sean's input as well. We both wondered...with as many cars as PAG cycles...why has this '02 sat in their building since last fall? :no: