Prices you've paid for new A/C (in your home)

nurkvinny

I'm curious what you guys have been quoted and/or paid for a new A/C system.

Mine is an R22 system from 2000. It has a leak somewhere and is empty, and I'm told it holds ~7 lbs. R22 is like $80 a lb now. So, even before finding the leak and fixing it, I'm out a service call and > $500 in refrig.

I was quoted $2800 and $3500 for a "good" and "really good" replacement set up. More than I would have expected, but then again, I've never priced one.

These quotes were for 13 SEER systems w/ R410A.

Thanks

I just got a quote from Best heating and cooling for $3500. They said when airquest put in the furnace they fucked it up (shocker).. so now they have to remove the entire furnace and rebuild the bottom half where the coil sits. It would have been $2500.

Mine leaks too but it's still blowing cold.. From what I've been told it's about a pound or two low. I'm looking at $200 to just have them come and throw some junk in it.

Fucking AirQuest got me for like $7K, but that was for a furnace AND heat pump. I'm still not 100% certain it's working to it's full efficiently capable capacity. I need to have someone come out and do a check-up on it.

Buck,

How was your experience with Best? Would you recommend them?

West Jefferson Plumbing & Heating, Inc

One Lennox SL280UH110V60C 110,000 BTW Dave Lennox Signature Gas Furnace

One CX34-44/48C-6F coil

One Honeywell Pro 8000 digital thermostat

One Air Bear box media filter system

One bypass humidifier

Several bathroom fan/light combos

Dryer vent

Basement vent for Water Heater

$12,560:eek:

Ive always Used Sayre Heating and cooling. Its a family business out of Reynoldsburg/Pataskala but they go everywhere around Columbus and I have known them for over 20 years..... VERY HONEST and Fair priced! 740-927-3609. John is his name...

2k even for a 1400' sq/ft house. brothers friend worked for a company though and did it on the side

This. My nieghbor works for a "major" regional player and does it on the side. They have GPS Units in their vans so he has his truck set up on the side. Can do a 3k sqft house with a great HVAC Unit for about $6k. Retails at what clay paid. Just an AC Unit is about $2k but a stellar system. If you're in the dublin area let me know.

Fucking AirQuest got me for like $7K, but that was for a furnace AND heat pump. I'm still not 100% certain it's working to it's full efficiently capable capacity. I need to have someone come out and do a check-up on it.

Buck,

How was your experience with Best? Would you recommend them?

They weren't too bad. I called them late last week and they said they would be out Saturday morning. Guy called and I was sleeping. Got up around 10ish and gave him a call and the tech came out and took measurements. Then basically left and told me that his boss would work up a quote and get back with me. He called around Wednesday or so. Boss guy on the phone seemed nice. Didn't pressure me or anything.

$3500 as well for mine. I honestly can't even remember the manufacturer because its in my house back in Oklahoma, but it was replacing an old R22 with the new R410 stuff, included all the inside parts as well.

West Jefferson Plumbing & Heating, Inc

One Lennox SL280UH110V60C 110,000 BTW Dave Lennox Signature Gas Furnace

One CX34-44/48C-6F coil

One Honeywell Pro 8000 digital thermostat

One Air Bear box media filter system

One bypass humidifier

Several bathroom fan/light combos

Dryer vent

Basement vent for Water Heater

$12,560:eek:

The signature series furnaces are high priced, I'd honestly go with a 95% efficient because there's less stuff to go wrong with them and the fans on the 98s tend to mess up and they're not cheap.

That is quite a bit you are looking to have done though....

Yes a jug used to be able to be bought for 40 bucks...now its being fazed out its 600 for one.... just like r 12 when it was being fazed out... u also bave to think the new system will save u money being much more efficiant and if ur already low on freon its working 2 times as hard. Just something tl think about

Yes a jug used to be able to be bought for 40 bucks...now its being fazed out its 600 for one.... just like r 12 when it was being fazed out... u also bave to think the new system will save u money being much more efficiant and if ur already low on freon its working 2 times as hard. Just something tl think about

Yup.

I was doing car A/C jobs when the whole R12/134A swap-over came around and we were lucky enough to buy ~50 cylinders right before the R12 price skyrocketed and ended up making good money selling them to other shops.

We can thank the gool-ol EPA for that BS too.

I am all about the investing in the 13+ SEER units vs my 13 year old 10. On top of that, just this past fall we added substantial square footage to the house, so more efficient the better, I guess.

The signature series furnaces are high priced, I'd honestly go with a 95% efficient because there's less stuff to go wrong with them and the fans on the 98s tend to mess up and they're not cheap.

That is quite a bit you are looking to have done though....

FWIW, it's part of the fire rebuild. When I asked West Jeff to quote a higher efficiency unit, he gave me a couple of points that I thought were valid as to why the 80% unit would be fine.

I'm not actually paying that OOP, and the quote does include all new ductwork throughout the house, taking it from 4", Asbestos-taped Sofite pipe from 1961 to 6" ductwork. Also new exhaust linings for hot water heater, HVAC.

Plastic fire and the petrochemical smoke it makes IS A BISH...