Wife needs a new vehicle need advice

Dharris89

A Journey could work, but keep in mind the 3rd row isn't going to be comfortable for grown adults. It's probably fine for kids or people with no legs. I do like the Caravan/Town and Country, but not sure it would fit in your garage better than a Flex.

/Chrysler product pushing.

Dont get a Journey they go through cylinder heads like its their job!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite vehicles was my GMC Envoy XL. Not sure you could find a very low mile example but nice pulling capacity and 3 rows. Otherwise I'd go with a Pilot, don't they have 3 rows?

plagued with rear air suspension failure, other than that OK.

Mazda 5. Seats 6, manual transmission available, will fit in any garage.

My wife and a clutch are not a good combo.

Well there you go OP, your wife will love it.

So I get less sex than I do now? No way.

If you want a Chrysler or Dodge minivan, get a 2011+. It's worth it.

Good to know. Any specific reasons? Better quality/condition?

Noted thanks. Are all years affected or just the newer ones?

One of my favorite vehicles was my GMC Envoy XL. Not sure you could find a very low mile example but nice pulling capacity and 3 rows. Otherwise I'd go with a Pilot, don't they have 3 rows?

Agreed I like them too. But yes finding one with low miles within a close distance is hard.

Thanks everyone.

My wife has an 04 Escalade ESV. I love that thing. If you can live with the gas miliage (13-14), I doubt there is anything better.

Any of the Chevy SUV's should be around the same way. Tahoe, Suburban, Denali. The ones with the 5.3 get better MPG.

Financing a 9 year old premium brand SUV :dumb:

The 2011 refresh of the vans overhauled the entire interior, some of the exterior, dropped the old engines in favor of the new 3.6L, revised the suspension, and possibly more that Im forgetting.

How, exactly, are they wasting cylinder heads and on what engine? Seems like that would be a costly warranty fix that would be addressed rather quickly.

The Journey came with the 2.4L (all years), 3.5L (pre-2011), and the 3.6L (2011+).

How, exactly, are they wasting cylinder heads and on what engine? Seems like that would be a costly warranty fix that would be addressed rather quickly.

The Journey came with the 2.4L (all years), 3.5L (pre-2011), and the 3.6L (2011+).

According to the articles I found online, the cylinder head issue is only estimated to be present in 0.5% of all 3.6L engines on the road, and only comes about under specific conditions of using low quality gas, high temperature, and hard driving. Nevertheless, it sounds like Chrysler made a design change and is replacing the parts under warranty. Nothing to worry about IMO. You can use Google to find issues with any car, just like the Ford EcoBoost issue that came up last week, but seems to be effecting a lot more case than this cylinder head issue.

From what I've seen its mainly just carbon build up or valve seats mainly 3.5 V6, I have seen a few 4 cylinders

Hey, David...my wife has a 2010 Odyssey and we do love it. If we replaced it with anything, it would be the Ford Flex hands down.

That said, I like the VW Roatan because it's a Chrysler minivan with a better interior. If you can get one of the newer ones with the 3.6L Pentastar, you'll have 280+hp on tap.

Lastly, I was at Roush Honda last night getting my A12 service done on the Ody and I noticed they had at least 8 2010/2011 Odysseys from $18k-$24k available...

I wouldn't mess with any 3-row crossover, like the Highlander, Journey, Sorento, etc...too many compromises in space/efficiency for more money. :thumbdown

Hey, David...my wife has a 2010 Odyssey and we do love it. If we replaced it with anything, it would be the Ford Flex hands down.

That said, I like the VW Roatan because it's a Chrysler minivan with a better interior. If you can get one of the newer ones with the 3.6L Pentastar, you'll have 280+hp on tap.

Lastly, I was at Roush Honda last night getting my A12 service done on the Ody and I noticed they had at least 8 2010/2011 Odysseys from $18k-$24k available...

I wouldn't mess with any 3-row crossover, like the Highlander, Journey, Sorento, etc...too many compromises in space/efficiency for more money. :thumbdown

Again, IMO, the 2011+ Chrysler interior is nicer than the VW Routan, and I would have said that before I started working there.

I think we are back to a minivan. Our current van has sliding doors which are nice since the kids are young. She thinks she would miss that. We are spending Saturday searching. At this point we will probably focus on the Odyssey, Sienna, Caravan/Town and Country and the Mazda 5. We are also still going to check out the flex (my personal favorite) although I'm still worried about the width.

What about the Chevy traverse? Anyone have input on it? My sis in law has the Buick enclave and likes it. The Chevy is a little cheaper and imo looks better.

Always had those in the shop at Chevy and I wouldn't own one, the first 2 years are complete garbage with stretched timing chains and broken wave plates in the transmission. Those parts were redesigned and lots of them were replaced, other common issues involved shitty power steering (noise and leaks). I have done all of these type repairs well under 50k. If you really like them you need a newer one or one that has been fixed, but expect GM's normal half ass build quality.