Land Purchase Question

indy82z

I was thinking of purchasing some land and had some questions about possible financing.

1) Can you even finance?

2) If so, how is the approximate down payment required?

3) Are the terms the same as a regular mortgage?

I am sure we could pay for the property in full, but even at 15 years, the payment would be super cheap and thought maybe it would be better to mortgage and keep cash for when we decide to build on it in 3-4 years.

Thanks

I was thinking of purchasing some land and had some questions about possible financing.

1) Can you even finance?

2) If so, how is the approximate down payment required?

3) Are the terms the same as a regular mortgage?

I am sure we could pay for the property in full, but even at 15 years, the payment would be super cheap and thought maybe it would be better to mortgage and keep cash for when we decide to build on it in 3-4 years.

Thanks

Yes, you can finance a 'lot loan'. They are a little bit tricky in todays economy so be forwarned that you will have a few hoops to jump through.

We typically require 20% down but have seen 25% down. Completely dependent on the individual situation and DTI.

Depending on how you structure the deal, it can be the same as a conventional fixed mortgage but sometimes an ARM makes more sense.

I would be happy to discuss the different options with you in detail. Feel free to give me a call at your convenience. 614-339-1206.

-Marc

PS - I'm a Senior Mortgage Consultant at Union Savings Bank

We are looking at buying some land way down south. We plan on building in it, but not for 3-4 years as I want to wait until my son turns 18 to lay out any more cash. We would like to find about 5-6 acres and just want to build a small get away cabin for the wife and myself. My hope would be to get it paid off by then (if financing was possible). No lines of credit on my existing mortgage.

I've been looking at buying a hunting property for quite sometime. Generally what I've seen is banks wanting 20-40% down and I've seen terms up to 20 years.

Good Luck and if you pick it up and have a major deer problem, let me know I can help. :)

If you don't already have your eye on a certain piece...

You can find land contracts, or deed of trusts.

(basically like a mortgage, you get property usage rights immediately and make arranged payments directly to former landowner until contract is satisfied then a deed giving you full ownership is executed/recorded)

Also consider natural gas rights for rural land purchases.

If you don't already have your eye on a certain piece...

You can find land contracts, or deed of trusts.

(basically like a mortgage, you get property usage rights immediately and make arranged payments directly to former landowner until contract is satisfied then a deed giving you full ownership is executed/recorded)

Also consider natural gas rights for rural land purchases.

I dont have anything picked out, but that sounds like what I am looking for. Are there any websites that specialize in these types of properties? What are the natural gas rights deal? Never heard of that..guess I need to do more research before I do anything. I guess it is a good thing that I am in no hurry for this..

Thanks again for everyones help..

I dont have anything picked out, but that sounds like what I am looking for. Are there any websites that specialize in these types of properties? What are the natural gas rights deal? Never heard of that..guess I need to do more research before I do anything. I guess it is a good thing that I am in no hurry for this..

Thanks again for everyones help..

Websites for landcontracts, not to my knowledge. Other than going through MLS listings(some realestate agents websites enable you to view all mls listed properties), or use a real estate agent, or you looking through craigslist even to find them.

Lookup "utica and marcellus" these are different shale gas plays currently in eastern parts of OH, most all of WV, and western PA.

see map

Different areas see different production numbers, and types of gases vary also on locations. But those maps will give you a general idea.

Some things to think about / research. (Oil&Gas is my career field btw)

Does the property have gas rights (gas like coal or other minerals could have been "reserved" by a prior owner, which means they keep the rights to them and all you may get is surface rights) Make sure you run a mineral title, in addition to the real estate/mortgage title. This applies regardless if you go through a bank or land contract.

It may have existing production (means gas rights would be "held by production" by whatever gas company had leased and drilled the property in the past. Sometimes companies will keep a gas wells going even if it's just barely producing, just to keep the gas rights they have under lease. This will allow them to return and drill at deeper formation in the future.

For instance my x-gf's grandfather owned 120ac in Cambridge area, a shallow gas well (doesn't require much acerage) was drilled in 1950's and is still going today, barely. But that company still has rights to drill more wells anywhere in the 120ac tract until production ceases. All about negotiating the right lease and he could have avoided that and had maximized the potential of his acreage.

"IF" you can get mineral rights, and get it in the right areas. You can literally pay off the property by leasing the gas rights. When you lease, your paid a "delay rental". In past these were broken down to yearly/quarterly payment. Presently this is usually paid in full, 60-90 business days after a signed lease and mineral title ownership is verified. I've seen $6000 per acre during some fierce turf wars between gas companies for prime areas. (prices have come down a bit though, all depends on location, maybe as low as $250 per ac)

Then if/once gas well is drilled your paid a royalty ranging from (1/8th) 12.5% up as high as you can negotiate it. Depending upon how much production the well makes, it can be very very lucrative. So it may be best to grab a larger piece then you had intended.

"the most valuable thing in the world is land, because God isn't building anymore"

Thats just some of the basics, I could go on for awhile on this topic.

PM me when time comes and I can give you a hand with anything O&G related.