Subaru Owners/Enthusiats, I would appreciate some help

Geeesammy

Recently I've been debating on trading or selling my Supra, long story short I've gotten a trade offer for this that I'm seriously considering. The only bad I know of is a paint issue on the front bumper that will be pictured.

2004 Subaru Imprexa Wrx....WAGON!!!!

92,000 miles on the chassis and motor, the timing belt was supposedly replaced by the previous owner at 75,000, the current owner says he has paperwork to back up the claim.

Mods include:

APS SR40 Turbo

APS FMIC

Accessport Stage 2 Tune

Cobb Intake

255 Fuel pump

Full 3" exhaust

Up-pipe

Wideband

Manual boost controller, set to 21psi

Middle gauge setup

Lowering springs

Has the wheels pictured and C5 wheels with tires

My main question is, what would YOU pay for this? Obviously without seeing it in person and driving it, it's hard to give a specific price. I'm mainly after reasonable estimates if this car is put together nicely and drives just as good. I don't know much about Subaru's, and have never really been a fan, but something about this one strikes my attention. Also, are these mod's fairly common/ suitable mods? I know the access-port is a nice piece, along with having an up-pipe due to the catalytic convertor being inside the factory one.

What are common issues with these? I'm looking for something reliable for the next 2-3 years that won't need much attention while I'm in school. I don't mind minor stuff, and routine maintenance, I actually enjoy it so that isn't an issue. Transmissions, motors, and similar things I obviously don't want to deal with. I know the EJ20 motor has thin cylinder walls, and all these pancake motor's burn oil, but has anyone here ever had any major issues with theirs?

Thanks for any help CR, I know quite a few people on here drive Subaru's along with working on them for a living.... So any input you are willing to give on either these cars in general, or this specific vehicle I would greatly appreciate. Mods, feel free to move this if it isn't quite appropriate for Tech Help. I apologize for the lack of pictures.

Also hoping this person is NOT on CR. If so, biggest thread backfire/fail of the year.

http://i.imgur.com/XrzBSwH.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/zUDcigJ.jpg

If you're serious about it, ask to have it checked out at a shop like IPS or such. Personally I'd be Leary of a modified turbo with those miles. PM Thorne (Bill). He's been big into them for years.

Just wait until you have to work on it, do you think f-bodies and Supras are bad? They aren't all bad, but any modified car makes me leary. Most people are done with them for a reason, best to gauge what that is. Just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you decide.

If you're serious about it, ask to have it checked out at a shop like IPS or such. Personally I'd be Leary of a modified turbo with those miles. PM Thorne (Bill). He's been big into them for years.

I offered to pay for the inspection if everything check out okay within reason. Obviously a daily driven car will have minor things, a slightly loose ball joint, worn bushings, etc. Those don't bug me. Just unfamiliar with the motor's and drive-train, which worries me the most.

Compression checks are a big thing when looking into a used Subaru. I've toyed with the thought of getting an '04-07 STi before but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really dig that wagon, if I had disposable money I'd do a full STi conversion on a wagon.

Just wait until you have to work on it, do you think f-bodies and Supras are bad? They aren't all bad, but any modified car makes me leary. Most people are done with them for a reason, best to gauge what that is. Just my 2 cents, best of luck with whatever you decide.

That's my worry. I look in those engine bay's and my brain just says no. It being modified makes me worried, especially with boost turned up that much from factory levels. I wanted cash for the car, but with this type of a trade on the table, if it is what it is cracked up to be it would be hard to deny. Thanks

If I was to buy this, I'd pay between 8-9k in good body/mechanical condition.

Transmission is the weak spot. If it breaks, upgrade to an sti 6-speed. Sti trannys are stout.

Subys are like Legos. Many parts are interchangeable.

Transmission is the weak spot. If it breaks, upgrade to an sti 6-speed. Sti trannys are stout.

I was thinking 7-8 maybe...

I was thinking 7-8 maybe...

Good to know some suitable replacements are available at the worst case scenario. These are the numbers I was tossing around in my head, and it seems reasonable for what it is.

Thanks everyone.

Good to know some suitable replacements are available at the worst case scenario. These are the numbers I was tossing around in my head, and it seems reasonable for what it is.

Thanks everyone.

The more I think about it Eric is probably closer with those miles. It's been babied likely. Are they the original owner?

The more I think about it Eric is probably closer with those miles. It's been babied likely. Are they the original owner?

Second owner. Original owner was an older man who mountain biked and rock climbed. I guess the WRX didn't get him where he needed to go, so it was sold for a Baja. This owner has had it 9,000 miles.

I've always had kind of had a thing for WRX Wagons, just never imagined myself seriously considering one.

What scares me is a stage 2 tune on an upgraded turbo WITH a manual boost controller. Why was it not protuned with the upgraded turbo?

I thought the same thing instantly. The only thing I can think of is it was a budget turbo build. I can say that as crazy as it sounds the boost will get turned down when/if I get it until it is protuned. People with JZ swaps do the same stuff. Buy a fuel cut defender and then larger injectors vs. going with a standalone just to save $1200+ along with the price of a tune.

I thought the same thing instantly. The only thing I can think of is it was a budget build. I can say that as crazy as it sounds the boost will get turned down when/if I get it until it is protuned.

If you don't do a compression check, expect to send the motor out to be built which in itself isn't a bad thing.

If you don't do a compression check, expect to send the motor out to be built which in itself isn't a bad thing.

He is supposedly doing a check on it tomorrow. Unless he produces a video of each individual cylinder it will be hard to believe. I do have an old friend with a few EJ20 block's... I could get one for a reasonable price to build IF I do get it.

I should stop this before I go full circle in the car world :masturboy:

That's a LOT of mods that drastically change vital readings for a generic stage 2 tune intended for nothing more than a downpipe with optional catback... A caring and responsible owner would get a Subaru protuned, or leave the turbo and intercooler stock. That'd worry me about other issues if I were buying. Either the owner is cheap or stupid, or both.

That's a LOT of mods that drastically change vital readings for a generic stage 2 tune intended for nothing more than a downpipe with optional catback... A caring and responsible owner would get a Subaru protuned, or leave the turbo and intercooler stock. That'd worry me about other issues if I were buying. Either the owner is cheap or stupid, or both.

I agree with all this. The only "saving grace" in my eyes is the wideband. So I will at least be able to see how it has been running in boost.

He is supposedly doing a check on it tomorrow. Unless he produces a video of each individual cylinder it will be hard to believe. I do have an old friend with a few EJ20 block's... I could get one for a reasonable price to build IF I do get it.

I should stop this before I go full circle in the car world :masturboy:

Sti shortblocks are only 1800 shipped and they bolt up to 2.0 heads!

Sti shortblocks are only 1800 shipped and they bolt up to 2.0 heads!

You're talking to a college student :lolguy:

Not too bad, but a 2jz block is $500 and bolts up to a 1jz head :ninja:

Pretty sure I'm going to go ahead and see if he is actually serious about this. If so, looks like I'll be into my first Subaru soon. Big risk, but the car won't see many miles for the next year at a minimum. As long as the AFR's seem correct in and out of boost and it is in good condition.

I'm the 2nd owner of a 2006 WRX TR that I purchased in 2007 with 2700 miles. I now have 140K miles on it and I don't baby it. I did blow out the 5 speed three separate times and eventually did the STi6 speed swap using a non-dccd 04' style a few years ago. I just had a full compression test and leak down test for mine in May and no issues with rings (I guess these are notorious for running lean in cyclinder 4 and usually the first to go but so far mine's solid). I do have some mods on mine including a VF39 turbo upgrade and an open tune. I'm running a MBC to hold around 17 PSI. I personally love these cars and find them easy to work on. Someone already referenced IPS about tuning and there's a place in Sunbury called SlowMotion that also tunes Subie's with your AccessPort. I've heard IPS can be a bit agressive with tunes but I'm not speaking from experience (only from what I've heard).

WHAT'S WRONG WITH KEEPING/FIXING THE SUPRA?!?

It's all fixed now, and now that it's fixed I found out how expensive it will be to get it where I want it to be. As it sits I don't enjoy it. Parts are insanely expensive and I am insanely....cheap. I get bored easily, this is the second longest I've owned a car (9.5 months) :lolguy:

I think he is turning into the new you. He has already brought up a few trade offers in the last few, and has been seriously considering all of them...

He won't do it.

True story.

Most I really consider, then see the car in person and realize the owner either lied his ass off, or it was a completely different car than what the pictures made it out to be.