Any of you familiar with Isuzu Rodeo's? 2000

Browning

My sister bought a 2000 Rodeo. Few weeks after she got it she noticed an issue and it scares her while driving. Every now and then there's a power loss of some sort and it won't pick up speed. Engine stays running but it just doesn't have power. She said when it does it, it will only coast. Won't rev or anything. To get it go again she has to shut it off and wait a minute then restart it. She's been scared to drive it since she just had a baby a few weeks ago.

I've done a small amount of searching and found posts where some one had the same issue and was told it's a short in the harness some where on the drivers side of the engine. I never found a post stating/showing exactly where the short is so I haven't dug into it fearing I'll break the harness more or something. Right now it doesn't do it every time. Most recently it done it while going over a railroad crossing. Does it on smooth straight sections of rode as well.

edit-when it does it there's a light on the dash that says reduced power.

Edited by Browning

I assumed it was stemming from something else before I found the harness issue being common. I'm going to attempt to clean a ground this weekend and see if that fixes it after reading that it did for a few folks. If that's not it I am going to play with the harness and see if I can get it to trigger that light.

Was hoping some one who works at a dealership has had a vehicle in with the same isue that didn't toss a CEL either. Every post I found that had a CEL on with this issue was a sensor with the throttle body, while those only triggering the reduced power were shorts in the harness from the TB to the computer

quick thing to check if there's black smoke coming out of the exhaust when this happens, pull the vacuum line off the fuel pressure regulator and check the vacuum line for fuel, if there's fuel in the vacuum line the fuel pressure regulator is bad, but it sounds like that's not your problem, NOTE: just because the CEL isn't on doesn't mean a code isn't stored, common code for your problem is gonna be P1220. These models have a problem with the engine wiring harness, the wires will break inside the shielding so it makes it impossible to find where the wires have broken.

Look at the harness between the TPS and PCM and check for continuity of the TPS wires between the PCM and the TPS. If all are testing good the problem may be intermittent, wiggle the engine wire harness while checking the circuit and see if any go open while moving the harness, if so trace the harness from the TPS to the PCM