New Jeep Wrangler or....FRS?

Bigbird

So I'm about to pull the trigger on a new Jeep Wrangler. I'm looking at a 2013 that's still on a lot out here in Cali. It's a Sport S, auto transmission, hard top, bluetooth connectivity group, power convenience group, and maybe some other stuff.

But I keep seeing FRS's all over the place out here. I haven't test driven one, and I'm afraid to because I'm afraid I'll jump ship from the Jeep dive head first into the FRS.

I'm wanting the Jeep because I feel like it'll be perfect for my wife, our 2 dogs, and I. We aren't planning on having kids for a while, but I just couldn't see myself buying some normal sedan. I've also never had anything but small sporty cars, so I'd like to change it up. Do any of you have any input on the new Wranglers? Also, convince me that thinking about an FRS is stupid. My dogs won't fit...right?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All Jeeps = Gross, yes in before the shitstorm. Get the FR-S.

You're not helping me be sensible! I'm just afraid if I get an FR-S I'm going to want to mod it like I ALWAYS do with tuner cars I buy. And I know I can't make it substantially faster without dropping big bucks. Plus I'd like to have something the wife could drive too. She can drive manual if her life depended on it, but she really doesn't like to, and I wouldn't buy anything but a manual FR-S.

If you want an SUV family vehicle checkout a Honda pilot. Interior is awesome and they don't feel like you're driving an SUV

Ehh...the 4x4 starts at like $31k and the Jeep I'm looking at is $26. Plus I like the "attitude" of the Jeep. Being able to take the top off, and have something that's somewhat "exciting" is appealing. Otherwise I'd say screw it and get an Accord (I do really like the new ones).

I just had a 2013 Grand Cherokee and it is literally one of the nicest vehicles I've driven. I know it's not a wrangler, but I had to comment anyway.

Yeah, they had an optioned out one at the dealership. I was never a fan of them, always thought they looked too...bulbous? But seeing one up close, very nice SUV. I actually really like the Wrangler too. I mean the interior is nothing to write home about, but I've never had a car with a "nice" interior. So it's not really of any concern to me. All I need is bluetooth for hands free calling out here in California.

Sounds like I just purchased exactly the JK you are looking at. Personally I love it. But I have always loved Jeeps. Probably the only bad thing I can say about it is that is isn't the fastest thing out there. Sometimes can pretty slow on the acceleration. But it is a Jeep, you don't buy them for speed. Keep in mind, you will want to mod the JK as soon as you get it. Just so many cool things you can do to them.

If you want a fun little sports car, go for the FRS. You want join the Jeep lifestyle, then do it.

Also if you have any questions, just let me know.

Sounds like I just purchased exactly the JK you are looking at. Personally I love it. But I have always loved Jeeps. Probably the only bad thing I can say about it is that is isn't the fastest thing out there. Sometimes can pretty slow on the acceleration. But it is a Jeep, you don't buy them for speed. Keep in mind, you will want to mod the JK as soon as you get it. Just so many cool things you can do to them.

If you want a fun little sports car, go for the FRS. You want join the Jeep lifestyle, then do it.

Wait, you bought one in San Jose, California? Or you bought one that was similarly equipped? If you bought the exact one I'm looking at, I'm going to be a sad panda lol. Either way, the only thing I'm bummed about is that it doesn't come with the 3.73 rear axle ratio.

if those are the two cars you're considering, it sounds to me like you need to draw up a chart of what you're really looking for in your next car or you're taking a 50% chance on a financial mistake that would suck.

To be honest, I'm not ACTUALLY considering the FR-S. I just see them all over the place out here and imagine it would be a ton of fun to cruise up and down the coast in one. I really don't think the dogs would enjoy it as much as a Jeep though. So truthfully, I'm just looking for input on the Wrangler. I know that in 2012 they had some issues with the cylinder heads, but as far as I can tell these newer JK's seem to be pretty stout.

I test drove an '07 Wrangler for all the reasons you'd think they'd be cool, but 50ft out the car lot all those rainbows were slapped with grey. It was like driving a 5%-nicer military vehicle; the one from Vietnam that sits in the corner of the motor pool that nobody likes to drive. The low gearing, horrendous gas mileage, and the all-around utility feel would be miserable for every-day street driving but would be cool for climbing over rocks or whatever Jeepbro people do, I guess.

Maybe the 2013's are a little nicer but my thoughts on Wranglers are forever tainted. Take your pick from any other SUV out there and it would be a better decision for your needs.

Ehh...the 4x4 starts at like $31k and the Jeep I'm looking at is $26....

So, if I understand you, you want a 2WD jeep? Kinda like kissing your sister, IMHO. Poor ride, cheap interior, expensive upkeep, slow, and would get likely get stuck in the first deep sand you tried to cross.

Test drive the FR-S. Maybe you'll not like it, and then buy your jeep with a clear conscience. But if you fall in love with the FR-S, buy one for $26k and put $5k into a janky, used 4x4 Wrangler with a stick that you can actually use without worrying about scratching the paint or getting mud in the interior. The wifey won't touch it, but you and the dogs will love it.

I would test drive both the automatic and 6-speed FR-S -- you might be surprised how much you like the paddle shifting, and your lady will love the car, too. From Car and Driver:

While the computers controlling the gearswaps can’t change the fuel-saving gearing, they do deliver clipped shifts befitting the car’s enthusiast nature. And the shifts get even more brusque when you switch into Sport mode. For a torque-converter auto, this unit is about as telepathic as it gets, the chosen gear almost always matched to the right spot in the car’s powerband. Shifts requested by the paddles are likewise performed in short order, and the car always blips the throttle on downshifts, regardless of who’s choosing the gears. Sport mode even locks out the selection of higher gears based on vehicle speed.

BTW, the FR-S does well with a little turbo, intake, and a tune. You don't have to sink big bucks into it to wake up that little boxer.

Edited by Doc

Not sure why anyone would buy a boring car. Sure they look smart on paper, but why not smile when you go places? People who drive these plain Jane cars confuse me, boring old Subaru wagons, slow little egg shaped Yaris, or pick-up trucks. I mean sure they have their place, but if you don't need a bunch of extra utility why ruin your life with boring stuff. If I lived on the coast, a Jeep would be at the very bottom of my list, with fast convertibles and sports cars at the top. Buy the damn FR-S and smile more.

I would go for the Jeep. It offers more options of goin camping with the dogs and the wife or partake in fun jeep adventures. They're always almost held in California.

I like the FR-S as much as the next guy but a Jeep is simply charming

http://i.imgur.com/I0ZEJ5B.jpg

It's like the OOOOdi lifestyle, except with far less trips to places called, "The Plugged Nickel." :lol:

To be honest, I'm not ACTUALLY considering the FR-S.

claythread.jpg

I test drove an '07 Wrangler for all the reasons you'd think they'd be cool, but 50ft out the car lot all those rainbows were slapped with grey. It was like driving a 5%-nicer military vehicle; the one from Vietnam that sits in the corner of the motor pool that nobody likes to drive. The low gearing, horrendous gas mileage, and the all-around utility feel would be miserable for every-day street driving but would be cool for climbing over rocks or whatever Jeepbro people do, I guess.

Maybe the 2013's are a little nicer but my thoughts on Wranglers are forever tainted. Take your pick from any other SUV out there and it would be a better decision for your needs.

DD'd my '96 XJ with a 3" lift and 31's from C-ville to Worthington for a year. Nothing like having tiny little sports cars trying to force their way in on you at the 70/71 split and just maintaining speed and watching them freak when their mirror rubs your tire.

So, if I understand you, you want a 2WD jeep? Kinda like kissing your sister, IMHO. Poor ride, cheap interior, expensive upkeep, slow, and would get likely get stuck in the first deep sand you tried to cross.

I think he was referring to what it took to get a 4x4 pilot.

Test drive the FR-S. Maybe you'll not like it, and then buy your jeep with a clear conscience. But if you fall in love with the FR-S, buy one for $26k and put $5k into a janky, used 4x4 Wrangler with a stick that you can actually use without worrying about scratching the paint or getting mud in the interior. The wifey won't touch it, but you and the dogs will love it.

Not bad advice.

Not sure why anyone would buy a boring car. Sure they look smart on paper, but why not smile when you go places? People who drive these plain Jane cars confuse me, boring old Subaru wagons, slow little egg shaped Yaris, or pick-up trucks. I mean sure they have their place, but if you don't need a bunch of extra utility why ruin your life with boring stuff. If I lived on the coast, a Jeep would be at the very bottom of my list, with fast convertibles and sports cars at the top. Buy the damn FR-S and smile more.

I think the same thing every time I'm driving my classic pickup down the highway with the quad loaded in the back headed to take them both off road, through the woods, through a river, or maybe off to a hunting spot and see a bunch of Audis, WRXs, Corvettes, Mustangs, F-bodies, etc. Why limit yourself to pavement? Different strokes...that's what it comes down to.

I personally would like a fun little pavement buster and my offroad opportunities.

OP: Really up to what you're wanting. On a site like this I think you'll see the response lean heavily to the *insert sporty car here* side. Personally, if you have a car you already enjoy driving, what's the point of having another? Diversify. Just my thoughts though. I miss my XJ daily.

Like you said you've always had tuner cars and it would be nice to change it up. A Jeep is going to offer you a different side of the vehical world, more ground clearnace. You are in Cali so I'm sure your not to far from back road trails, climbing, hiking, camping, sand dunes, and skiing. Honestly the only way I would go is with the 4x4 because it will offer you some fun along with the extra space you seem to need. Also if you need to get a little moding fixation a 4x4 jeep is perfect for that.

But if you fall in love with the FR-S, buy one for $26k and put $5k into a janky, used 4x4 Wrangler with a stick that you can actually use without worrying about scratching the paint or getting mud in the interior. The wifey won't touch it, but you and the dogs will love it.

This post is fulll of win! It is what I did, I love having the vette to cruise in, and the truck to have fun in. I will let you all guess what the chicks dig too!

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/tindall2006/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_8932_zps6e7264cc.jpg

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f374/tindall2006/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_1758_zpsc43c948f.jpg

I think he was referring to what it took to get a 4x4 pilot.

OP: Really up to what you're wanting. On a site like this I think you'll see the response lean heavily to the *insert sporty car here* side. Personally, if you have a car you already enjoy driving, what's the point of having another? Diversify. Just my thoughts though. I miss my XJ daily.

Yeah, I was referring to what it would cost to get a 4x4 Pilot. The Jeep I'm looking at is a new 2013 4x4. If I had the budget to get both, obviously I would. But I've got to have one. With the Jeep I can take the top off, throw the wife and dogs in, and go out to Big Sur and have a nice day cruising around, camping, whatever. With the FR-S, we'd have to leave the dogs at home, and worry about me going all boy racer and getting tickets all the time. I'm not worried about scratches etc. on a new Jeep. It's a Jeep, that's what it's for. I plan on keeping it for a loooong time. Something my kids will remember when they grow up, from when they were little. Plus, if everything works out out here in Cali, I'll have some fantastic career opportunities after my first enlistment is over...I hear the 3 letter agencies like to pay linguists LOTS of money :megusta:

Brian, there have been A LOT of changes since '07.

Funnily enough, I drove an '07 yesterday. I wanted to try out both the manual and the automatic, and all they had in manual was an '07. That thing felt like a completely different vehicle next to the new ones. They're definitely a lot more livable now.

I like my Jeep.

I was in the same boat as the OP trying to decide on a toy car and out of the blue I just bought a Jeep. The hate flowed through just about everyone and I was cast into the depths of BC's basement for punishment since I would no longer be attending drag days. In the long run though, I really enjoy the Jeep and it's a LOT more fun with kids. I suspect your dogs will enjoy it just as well.

I agree with many others though, if you are 2nd guessing it, go drive the others and clear your mind. If you get the Jeep without even trying the others, you'll likely end up wanting to dump it later and may not give it a fair chance either.