WTBorrow - Open end torque wrench

ImUrOBGYN

Sorry if in wrong section.

Does anyone have an open end torque wrench? (More like a wrench, not a "ratchet" type torque wrench.) I've provided a pic below for a general idea. I need it to torque to 41lbs. The nut that needs to be tightened is on a shock piston shaft and you have to use an allen screw to hold the piston shaft while you tighten it or it'll spin. Due to this, I cannot use my ratchet torque wrench.

Oh, I live off of Clime near 270 on the SW side. The sooner the better as it's supposed to rain tomorrow evening and then be cold the rest of the week. Thank you.

Also, if you know of a place for me to purchase one at a reasonable price (or borrow), please let me know.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k58/ImUrOBGYN/rsz_pl325449-3_8_inch_split_beam_open_end_torque_wrench_with_graduation_0_25_nm_zps81778974.jpg

Can you use one of these?

http://www.legacygarage.com/images/Pictures/Tools/15-16%20crows%20foot.JPG

You could... The torque adapters give you the correct multiplier to get the torque correct.

So, a crow foot can be used with the torque wrench? A regular 'ratchet' style torque wrench? Seems like an odd angle to attach it to and have it read correctly. If it works, however, it seems like the cheapest alternative.

Anyone have a 17mm one? I seriously would only need it for five minutes. Both struts/springs/mounts are together now just waiting for that top nut to be torqued and then slapped back on the Vibe.

In the meantime, I'll look for one to purchase around here.

Update: Will probably pick up a set from HF for about $10-12 later today unless someone has an alternative before then.

So, a crow foot can be used with the torque wrench? A regular 'ratchet' style torque wrench? Seems like an odd angle to attach it to and have it read correctly. If it works, however, it seems like the cheapest alternative.

Anyone have a 17mm one? I seriously would only need it for five minutes. Both struts/springs/mounts are together now just waiting for that top nut to be torqued and then slapped back on the Vibe.

Update: Will probably pick up a set from HF for about $10-12 later today unless someone has an alternative before then.

:thumbup::cool:

You can use a crows foot or a torque adapter at 90* to the torque wrench without doing anything (ie the torque will be correct), if you need to run it straight for access then a torque adapter will be proper, otherwise if you have room to put a crows foot on the torque wrench perpendicular then it will work just fine.
  • Upvote 1

maybe :gabe:

:masturboy:

You can use a crows foot or a torque adapter at 90* to the torque wrench without doing anything (ie the torque will be correct), if you need to run it straight for access then a torque adapter will be proper, otherwise if you have room to put a crows foot on the torque wrench perpendicular then it will work just fine.

Should be fine, then. The strut/spring is all put together separate from the car, currently. So, plenty of room for however it needs to be done. I think the only time I've ever used a crowfoot was with a prybar and even that memory's hazy. haha

Thanks everyone for the help. Seriously saved me a headache, time and money. Time to print out some HF coupons and see what my freebie's gonna be today. lol

Or you can do the math and figure out the actual value: http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

But screw that much effort, I'd pop it on and call it close enough!! ;)

Or you can do the math and figure out the actual value: http://www.engineersedge.com/manufacturing_spec/torque_wrench_1.htm

But screw that much effort, I'd pop it on and call it close enough!! ;)

If the adapter is perpendicular (90*) to the wrench you don't need to do any math...

i'd trust a good quality torque wrench with a crow foot, over ANYTHING from china freight, in terms of accuracy, quality. i buy china freight stuff and treat it as a throw away tool.

Pittsburgh Pro line stuff is better than the new Chinese craftsman stuff. But yes probably 80% of the stuff they carry is throw away.

Use the 25% off coupon from HF

Pittsburgh Pro line stuff is better than the new Chinese craftsman stuff. But yes probably 80% of the stuff they carry is throw away.

I disagree, I've had extremely good luck with Harbor Freight, Jacks, Torches, Sockets - You name it.

i'd trust a good quality torque wrench with a crow foot, over ANYTHING from china freight, in terms of accuracy, quality. i buy china freight stuff and treat it as a throw away tool.

I wouldn't touch a torque wrench from them (HF)...

I have two of them, they are more accurate than my Snap-On and have outlasted my Craftsman.

It's hit or miss. I've had two electric corded impact drivers from hf, and they have lasted over ten years with zero issues. Then I've had air line connectors that have ALL leaked, wrenches that flat out broke, and scissors that wouldn't cut. I have had good luck with their jacks and jack stands. But I buy with caution from them when I need something precise.

I wouldn't touch a torque wrench from them (HF)...

Big comparo on torque wrenches a short time back including brands such as SnapOn and Pitt Pro from HF. They found the Pitt Pro's were just as accurate. The thing you have to be most careful with is not leaving the wrench/spring tightened up when you put it away. (You shouldn't do that anyway) Even then, it still took the Pitt Pro wrench a stupid amount of time before it affected its accuracy measurably.

BTW, a short while back, I picked up a new 1/2in and a 3/8in tq wrench for $20 total plus tax. (Love some HF coupons) Checked them against my old one and each other. Though not 'scientific', they seemed pretty dead on.

Woulda never thought to purchase those from HF.